You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

11 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

I dare you to write a bug report!

It's not a question of daring. I've filed, and had fixed, issues with LibreOffice and other open source projects. I've not seen a bug reporting site for Microsoft products, maybe I've not looked hard enough or maybe they're just not interested in that bothersome lot the general public.

Looks like this thread went somewhere else entirely.
If you aren't interested in using linux/affinity software on linux, just ignore this thread and stop looking for people to argue with.
As for affinity products on linux, A LOT of users(including me) would love to see them on linux and PAY for them just like every other
commercial platform doesn't matter the OS being used.
There are more than enough web developers, graphic designers and regular users that are using linux and need a better solution
that the currently available design software.
If someone from the affinity team is here, I would suggest making a survey to see some real numbers and post about it on twitter where a lot
of potential users are.
After that, maybe they can consider doing a linux version.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Linux is about 1% of the desktop market share. That's the real number.

Just because it's 1% of the desktop market doesn't mean it isn't more of the designers/publishers/artists/etc.

There's a much bigger proportion of Windows users that just surf the web and play games on their PC than there is of Linux users.

What proportion of people with a PC have Linux is pretty meaningless to this discussion. What matters is the proportion of Affiniy's target demographics that use Linux.

17 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

As soon as the real number is revealed, the Linux people would say it's wrong and the mythical 'true number' is more than that.

Linux is about 1% of the desktop market share. That's the real number.

Dude just stop being a troll on the internet...there are enough trolls on other sites.
Whether it'll make them want to make a linux version or not, at least that way they'll know the numbers.
After all, it's their decision and their decision only.
And if they do decide ti make a linux version, there is a plus...adobe isn't there to take any part of that market share.

Don’t you have anything better to do with your time other than trolling around this forum, LondonRascal? The other thread related to this same topic got closed solely because of you. Does this give you some kind of mental reward, you freaking sociopath?

Since he will probably continue on his idiotic quest, I ask you guys to stop enabling him. Just ignore his wannabe comments. As easy as that.

Thank you 😘

5 minutes ago, anto said:

What do you want to prove here?

A few things:

1. The Linux desktop has a tiny market share. Developing any applications for that market is almost certainly going to be a waste of time, money, and resources. It has been tried before: Wordperfect, Corel, Borland Delphi (as Kylix), and so on.
  2. To inject a bit of reality into the Linux advocates' thoughts. I understand being a Linux advocate. I've used Linux for about 25 years. I have heard all these arguments before:
    1. The year of the Linux desktop is here.
    2. That it's a chicken and an egg situation.
    3. That Affinity could be a trailblazer.
    4. That it's just this one app (insert one of dozens of apps which don't exist on Linux here) that I need to move fully to Linux.
    5. That Bob Linux user would buy two or three copies of the Affinity apps (exposing a peculiar neurosis because personal licensees can install one copy on each PC they own, so why would they?).
    6. That Linux is better at abc than Windows or Mac.
    7. etc.
  3. That the small number of people who post here in this forum advocating for Linux do not by themselves represent anything like a worthwhile business prospect for Affinity.

Maybe Affinity will ignore the collective business sense of the last 25+ years and say to themselves 'we will ignore the fact that practically nobody makes any money on the Linux desktop, but we will make versions available for esoteric reasons'.

They already know the numbers. Or if they don't they shouldn't be in business. Serif will have done proper market research based on very specific demographics, not on a straw poll of people on the forums who say they wang Affinity on Linux. 

When it's appropriate, and makes a sound business case, they will allocate resources to the port. It might be next week, next year or never. Whatever is decided it won't be because of pressure from the forums. 

As  I said before; personally I would love to see Affinity on Linux, as long as it doesn't stretch Serif too thinly. 

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Unfortunately this is where you do the 'year of the Linux desktop' a disservice by making this misleading comment. LibreOffice mostly works with MS Office docs, but not always and not accurately. I had to fill in a form made in MS Word. I tried LibreOffice and the results were unusable - LibreOffice could not render the form properly. So when you write comments like 'works fine', that is not the whole story. When Joe User is sent a form as I was and sees the results, he is not going to write back to the sender 'your form is broken in LibreOffice', he is going to use MS Word instead.

Please, you can use this same argument about Affinity Photo with PSD support, which isn't perfect so of course We ShOuLdN't UsE iT with that logic. Why do you use Affinity Photo? it's super niche, barely anyone uses it, Photoshop is mainstream and 99% of professionals will be using that.. Just like Windows vs Linux. 

Also, if you have nothing but complaints about Linux, why do you even use it for the last 25 years (which I question, since you seem to have a lot of perceptions about Linux which are just bandwagon comments from people that don't use Linux)?

10 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I'm not trolling anybody. I'm pointing out one or two home truths. If that upsets some people, sorry.

The reason why people thought that you came off as trolling was because you were using the same "one or two home truths" (i.e. arguments) ad nauseam. Usually repeating the same thing over and over again is considered spamming.

Graphic design, software development, and education for underestimated creatives. Squirrel Logic

1 minute ago, Squirrel Logic said:

The reason why people thought that you came off as trolling was because you were using the same "one or two home truths" (i.e. arguments) ad nauseam. Usually repeating the same thing over and over again is considered spamming.

The reason why people THINK he’s trolling is because HE IS trolling. As I mentioned, another thread with the same topic got closed because of his stupid attitude. He’s clearly not trying to do any kind of constructive criticism here, so I beg you to simply ignore him. He’s not trying to help anybody here, only his ego.

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

So saying there is a reasonable market for Linux desktop apps over and over again is not spamming? Just if you disagree with it?

Naming a bunch of old failed software as a reason for Linux failing is just fundamentally flawed logic. There's plenty of thriving software on Linux. Stop fear mongering for no reason. If you don't wan't Linux support go elsewhere and stop wasting this request thread.

2 minutes ago, D’T4ils said:

The reason why people THINK he’s trolling is because HE IS trolling. As I mentioned, another thread with the same topic got closed because of his stupid attitude. He’s clearly not trying to do any kind of constructive criticism here, so I beg you to simply ignore him. He’s not trying to help anybody here, only his ego.

yea, this is probably the best idea to just ignore him.

On a side note I just found out that World Machine works flawlessly on Linux via wine with zero hiccups or drawbacks, so yea the last remaining thing for me that Linux doesn't have is a decent replacement for photoshop/illustrator. for my regular workflow. :) Or rather, Gimp and Inkscape exist but they're...not great to use and I would rather have the likes of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (or at the very least I can just use Photoshop CS6 on Linux but thats gross)

13 minutes ago, D’T4ils said:

Oookay. Earlier I was starting to think that having the thread locked was the intended consequence of his posts, since it was the only logical explanation I could think if. I didn't realize that it had happened before.

Graphic design, software development, and education for underestimated creatives. Squirrel Logic

26 minutes ago, Squirrel Logic said:

Oookay. Earlier I was starting to think that having the thread locked was the intended consequence of his posts, since it was the only logical explanation I could think if. I didn't realize that it had happened before.

In case you wanna take a look:

Check who was mainly involved during the last pages before it got closed, and also the reason that Patrick Connor gave on why he decided to close it. That’s what this “person” is aiming for once again.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you 😘

4 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

"If they would just decide to have affinity running on linux they would take over" - Pablo from Blender xD

It's so easy to say something like this, especially if your company is backed and funded by so many large corporations.

Serif don't have sponsors like this: https://fund.blender.org

And they don't sell super expensive hardware like Blackmagic does, where their Resolve package is just a nice tiny addition and actually a very little fraction of their revenue.

And of course, Serif prices are in no comparison with SideFX, where you have to pay thousands and thousands for things like Houdini.

So, after 75 pages in this thread, what are we still arguing about here?