You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

Seems like Serif is missing this horse while Adobe is not. Adobe launched last week the browser version of Photoshop and Illustrator. Still not supporting all the features but many would be able to use it on Linux and it's just a matter of time for Adobe to add many more features and move other applications on browser. Like The Linux Experiment says in this video, Photoshop is often cited in the main reasons for not switching to Linux (for whom have that interest, many people stick to Win or Mac anyway), meaning that Linux will probably see more users thanks to Adobe.

17 hours ago, Pandorino said:

Seems like Serif is missing this horse while Adobe is not. Adobe launched last week the browser version of Photoshop and Illustrator. Still not supporting all the features but many would be able to use it on Linux ...

From the page in the first link. Emphasis is mine.

" And Creative Cloud subscribers can make light edits to Photoshop or Illustrator files right in their browser."

Doesn't sound like you would be able to use Photoshop on Linux, you are going to need a Windows or Mac machine to do actual work on and have the CC account and then you can make light edits (who knows how light) on Linux.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:24 PM, PSDfield said:

Especially in time like these and the new Windows 11, which so far does not attact many productivity oder gaming user, there is a rise in interest in lunux distros like Pop_OS and other well documented distros like Ubuntu.

Since Snap for Ubuntu exists, there are even more good reasons for Affinity to shine on Linux. Productivity, performance, security and even in some cases usability are all reasons to switch to Linux (or dual-boot).

The Windows App Store will support Android Apps soon, many once plattform exclusive Apps and services become more available via browsers and cross-plattform. Plattform independence should always be a huge bonus for software developers. So please Serif do not ignore this.

Your best bet there might be to ask the developers of PhotoLine on their forums if they would consider bundling up PhotoLine with Wine as an Ubuntu Snap in the Snap Store.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

There are not nearly as many commercial apps for Linux as there are for Windows. It's about at tiny part of 1% in comparison. 

I'm sorry, but what the hell guys?! You are really arguing about how many commercial apps on Linux?! C'mon this is a thread about Affinity supporting Linux!!!

Edited by Anon172
wrongly formatted

Also, if Serif ever develops a Linux version, please do it with Flatpak. Snap is pain with custom cursors, themes, and is very slow. However, at flatpak, for custom themes, there is stylepak, and for custom cursors, you just have to override cursors in the terminal.

Edited by Anon172
was unclear

14 minutes ago, Anon172 said:

please do it with Flatpak. Snap is pain

And here is another example of why there will never be a 'year of the Linux desktop': two competing methods of packaging up apps supposedly to make things easier. In this thread we have some people say 'use Snap', and somebody else 'use Flatpak', one saying Snap is good and the other saying Snap is bad. You cannot even agree on a packaging system.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

And here is another example of why there will never be a 'year of the Linux desktop': two competing methods of packaging up apps supposedly to make things easier. In this thread we have some people say 'use Snap', and somebody else 'use Flatpak', one saying Snap is good and the other saying Snap is bad. You cannot even agree on a packaging system.

Why not use both! ('only means a bit more work for the developers, I'm sure they've got nothing better to do!) 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That's pretty much Canonical (the people who maintain Ubuntu) vs. Everyone Else. In the end, it doesn't make that much of a difference, since almost all apps available as flatpaks have snaps and vice versa, and it's easy to use them both.

2 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

That's pretty much Canonical (the people who maintain Ubuntu) vs. Everyone Else. In the end, it doesn't make that much of a difference, since almost all apps available as flatpaks have snaps and vice versa, and it's easy to use them both.

But as I said, it has big disadvantages.

2 minutes ago, Anon172 said:

From what I gather, snaps are slowly going the way of the dodo anyway, so it's really all academic by this point.

There's only one distro out there that supports snaps out of the box, and that's Ubuntu. The rest, even those forked from Ubuntu, are using flatpaks.

1 hour ago, Renzatic said:

it's easy to use them both

Why not just have one?

1 hour ago, Anon172 said:

There you are: arguing about a package system. And so it has ever been with Linux about everything.

RPMs are best. No DEBs are better. Pacman is better still. I say that Nix is better, and that is the reason why I nail my colours to the mast and use NixOS. Me and the other three people using this fantastic distribution snootily look down our noses at RPMs. You Nix people don't know anything, if you want the best options use Portage for all your packaging needs, emerge is a user-friendly command.

Next week there will be another packaging system to rule them all. People (Linux developers) waste so much time on this sort of thing. The supposed benefits of one package system over another are marginal. 

Blah blah blah.

5 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Why not just have one?

There you are: arguing about a package system. And so it has ever been with Linux about everything.

RPMs are best. No DEBs are better. Pacman is better still. I say that Nix is better, and that is the reason why I nail my colours to the mast and use NixOS. Me and the other three people using this fantastic distribution snootily look down our noses at RPMs. You Nix people don't know anything, if you want the best options use Portage for all your packaging needs, emerge is a user-friendly command.

Next week there will be another packaging system to rule them all. People (Linux developers) waste so much time on this sort of thing. The supposed benefits of one package system over another are marginal. 

Blah blah blah.

True, because that is Linux, as effect of being free and open, a testing bench and a place for debate. Also wrong due to so many misconceptions I see here.

I won't take one by one now, again and again. But packing is not an issue at all. For example, there is a closed source third party LEGO modelling tool, LDCad that uses accelerated graphics and comes as a sh installer. It simply worked for me everywhere, so it's possible. It's also one man's effort, although not simple at all.

No need for snaps, flatpaks, rpms, whatever option like those.

So it's possible.

On the other hand, remember Oracle. You peek one of their supported OSes, like RedHat, Mandriva, CentOS and so on, at the time was launched, and do the specific steps to setup and you are good to go.

I bet if Affinity releases the apps under one or few specific distros, we'll jump to one of those and do our jobs happily.

2 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

But packing is not an issue at all.

That is merely your opinion. Other Linux people have different opinions.

3 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

I bet if Affinity releases the apps under one or few specific distros

Definitely, Affinity should release their apps for the top 500 distributions. That should take care of 90% of Linux users.

5 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That is merely your opinion. Other Linux people have different opinions.

That's my experience.

6 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Definitely, Affinity should release their apps for the top 500 distributions. That should take care of 90% of Linux users.

LOL!

28 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Or they could do what Quixel does, and release a platform agnostic .appimage. Or they could do what Adobe does, and just support Redhat.

At the end of the day, Linux is Linux. If it works in one, it'll work in them all. What distro to choose isn't really an issue.

24 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That is not correct. I have had a 'professional' app that would only work on RedHat. No amount of tinkering could convince this app to run on anything other than RedHat. 

That's one example. Now, is that the exception, or the rule?

it's usually not a problem at all, *most* of the time it'll work on all distros just fine. most changes between distros are just the desktop environment, possibly included or not included drivers which can be added later, and a custom selection of included applications which again can be added or removed from all and how far behind in updates the distro is compared to each other.

For example where substance designer only has an rpm format you can still just convert it to be used on debian based distros anyway.

I think people should stop trying to make problems out of non-issues lol. 

42 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

I think people should stop trying to make problems out of non-issues lol. 

That is the definition of Linux distributions. ABC distribution uses xyz feature, which is a problem for some people. So they do a new distribution using qwe feature. Then somebody comes along and does something different. And then there are hundreds of distributions.

I have 25 years experience with Linux. I've seen the inconsistencies. I've seen commercial apps which will not run on anything other than what the required distribution(s) are. It's not just converting from rpm to deb (or something else). 

2 hours ago, Renzatic said:

I've been using it for around 5 years now, recently exclusively, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Nothing's gone wrong or nothing you couldn't fix?  PCs have been ubiquitous for decades now, but the number of computer literate users seems to have declined (as a percentage, at least).

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

Nothing's gone wrong or nothing you couldn't fix?  PCs have been ubiquitous for decades now, but the number of computer literate users seems to have declined (as a percentage, at least).

Nothing I couldn't fix. Computers are computers. They're going to spaz out on you at some point.

And Linux being Linux, it can sometimes kick you square in the nuts.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

That is the definition of Linux distributions. ABC distribution uses xyz feature, which is a problem for some people. So they do a new distribution using qwe feature. Then somebody comes along and does something different. And then there are hundreds of distributions.

I have 25 years experience with Linux. I've seen the inconsistencies. I've seen commercial apps which will not run on anything other than what the required distribution(s) are. It's not just converting from rpm to deb (or something else). 

well then I guess it's a super amazing feat that something like Gimp, made for free and non-profit works on every distro just fine. I'm sure Serif would have zero issues with this. It's a non issue. Likewise, there's all kinds of proprietary software that works just fine on all distros. Never had a problem with it.

If anything all you're trying to do with your '25 years of experience with linux' is discourage devs from making software for it and discouraging people from using linux in general which is not normal for a linux user. Most people who have experience with linux will try to encourage more people to use it. your attitude is pretty sus so far tbh. Why don't you want Linux to be used?