You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

2 hours ago, wonderings said:

Why would Affinity and Linux be a great pair? One is closed the other is open, I don't really see anything that says these companies are like minded. 

I think that it is always the balance of need vs want. If I needed to do certain things the OS would be less important to me as I would care more about the software I need to use. I would use the OS that supports the software that lets me get the job done.  

2 hours ago, thedrumdoctor said:

To be fair, you could ask the same question of the company who produce Insync cloud syncing software. They are 'closed' yet they support Linux which allows users to sync data with Microsoft, Google and Dropbox. Similarly, Cockos who make the incredibly popular music creation DAW, Reaper, port for Windows, Mac and Linux. There does seem to be an increase in software vendors bothering to make versions of their software for Linux, but the creative world is still poorly served in this area of development. I do take on the principle of your point though, in as much as the roots of Linux are not embedded in the commercial world and have different goals.

Looking at other replies on this thread, there may be some sort of agreement between Affinity and Microsoft and Apple not to port Affinity products to any other platforms. Affinity don't port to Android either yet there are plenty of large Android tablets with pen support. Clearly, there is potential revenue from both Android and Linux users, but it has to be either ROI or fall-out with the market desktop-dominators which prevent them from developing.

Another example of non-open source creative software that runs spectacularly on Linux is DaVinci Resolve. Resolve is an all-in-one video, audio, and special effects editing software that's become an industry standard, and if you only need the basic tools it's... free. If you need the full shabang, they, like Affinity, offer a buy-once license. It's $300USD and continues to receive updates.

Why would people want to do video editing on Linux? Linux as an OS is waaaaay less resource intensive, freeing up system resources to use instead on  programs you want to run. That's why Affinity would be great on Linux. Imagine how many more layers they could have eked out of that demonstration of the 1.10 Designer beta.

[edit edit]: It's nuts and bolts, but Linux isn't a company - layman's terms, it's the thing that all the different Linux distributions are built off of, and the different Linux distributions may be made by anyone, company or coding enthusiast. It's a rabbit hole to explain fully, as many here know.

6 hours ago, wonderings said:

Why would Affinity and Linux be a great pair? One is closed the other is open, I don't really see anything that says these companies are like minded. 

I know you've already been quote-hammered on this, but I feel like adding my own two cents into the mix.

Linux's open sourceness is something of an aside. Yeah, you do have a fair number of FOSS zealots flying the ideological flag over the penguin, but when you get right down to it, it's just an OS, same as Windows and MacOS. There is no requirement that all software released on an open source OS has to be open sourced itself. Anyone can put whatever they want on Linux, proprietary or not.

A +1 here for the Linux crowd. I Main POP!_OS and the only image manipulation applications worthy are Krita and Gimp... A proper package like the affinity line would be a hit IMO. Linux is no longer for the one or two nerds in the crowd, it's becoming more and more mainstream. 

If the developers need a reason, I would like to use Affinity as an example. Windows is the current King, so why use Linux? Photoshop is the current King, so why use Affinity Photo? The similarities are great IMO. A solid alternative OS deserves a solid alternative photo editing package. And just look at how professional this OS is, and how lovely Affinity would look on this! (screenshot from my pc)image.thumb.png.9c0158a610a9643ec22c949bb2c0978c.png

So yea, I think there's a market for it and a hefty gap that Affinity could jump into as well. Substance Designer/Painter, Blender, Unity engine, Maya, Unreal engine etc etc they all have native linux versions. :)

26 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

A +1 here for the Linux crowd. I Main POP!_OS and the only image manipulation applications worthy are Krita and Gimp... A proper package like the affinity line would be a hit IMO. Linux is no longer for the one or two nerds in the crowd, it's becoming more and more mainstream. 

If the developers need a reason, I would like to use Affinity as an example. Windows is the current King, so why use Linux? Photoshop is the current King, so why use Affinity Photo? The similarities are great IMO. A solid alternative OS deserves a solid alternative photo editing package. And just look at how professional this OS is, and how lovely Affinity would look on this! (screenshot from my pc)image.thumb.png.9c0158a610a9643ec22c949bb2c0978c.png

So yea, I think there's a market for it and a hefty gap that Affinity could jump into as well. Substance Designer/Painter, Blender, Unity engine, Maya, Unreal engine etc etc they all have native linux versions. :)

Wish I could “like” this a hundred times!

6 hours ago, warzmanda said:

Why would people want to do video editing on Linux? Linux as an OS is waaaaay less resource intensive, freeing up system resources to use instead on  programs you want to run.

Same reason I'd love to run music recording software on Linux - well I can run Reaper, but trying to get VST instrument plug-ins to work is a nightmare. Hit and miss just isn't good enough when you need to get things done and you may well be wasting other people's time fighting to get plug-ins to work when you should be recording!

12 hours ago, MattyWS said:

Is that how the OS looks by default or did you make it look pretty much identical to MacOS?

16 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Is that how the OS looks by default or did you make it look pretty much identical to MacOS?

That looks pretty much like Plasma with a theme, an icon set and an alternative dock.  No effort required really, theming is fun and easy in Linux, and there's hundreds to choose from!

4 hours ago, OS1 said:

That looks pretty much like Plasma with a theme, an icon set and an alternative dock.  No effort required really, theming is fun and easy in Linux, and there's hundreds to choose from!

He might be using an extension or two to move around some stuff on the top bar, but that's almost the default out of the box Gnome setup for Pop_OS.

And Gnome these days, especially Gnome 40, looks a lot like MacOS. 

6 hours ago, thedrumdoctor said:

4 days....about the length of time I lost trying to to get Peppermint to sync music with my iPhone.

I didn't succeed; Windows 10 reluctantly reinstated.

Just do what I do. I use Peppermint for all the songs I have saved to my computer. If I'm out and about, I'll just use Spotify.

9 hours ago, Pufty said:

I bet if we just slap Proton on Affinity, it will will be done within 4 days. Proton be magic

Well, it ain't TOTALLY magic. It's still based on Wine, and very, very game-centric, making it fairly unlikely that it'll support Affinity any better than what we've already seen.

I did hop over to ProtonDB to look up Affinity Photo, but all I saw was an entry for Hentai Jigsaw Photo Studio: Fruit Girls, so...yeah, I don't know what to make of that.

I'm a bit of a linux noob but when I tried Affinity via proton and wine it didn't work. Wine came close in that it opened affinity photo and I could click on some of the buttons but the screen was black with some UI elements showing and it crashed after a couples minutes. Proton didn't open it.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:12 PM, Renzatic said:

Just do what I do. I use Peppermint for all the songs I have saved to my computer. If I'm out and about, I'll just use Spotify.

I still have a need for putting music onto my iPhone though, for offline listening. I parted company with Spotify a few years ago as well. If there was an Android phone as small as an iPhone SE I'd jump ship, but everyone is happy carrying a house brick in their pockets these days. The Linux + iPhone experience is a non-starter. 

32 minutes ago, thedrumdoctor said:

I still have a need for putting music onto my iPhone though, for offline listening. I parted company with Spotify a few years ago as well. If there was an Android phone as small as an iPhone SE I'd jump ship, but everyone is happy carrying a house brick in their pockets these days. The Linux + iPhone experience is a non-starter. 

I was wrong about one thing: it's not Peppermint I use, but Lollypop. You'd think it'd have a lollipop icon, but no, that'd be too obvious. Instead, it's a peppermint.

12 hours ago, Renzatic said:

I was wrong about one thing: it's not Peppermint I use, but Lollypop. You'd think it'd have a lollipop icon, but no, that'd be too obvious. Instead, it's a peppermint.

I have to say, there are some beautiful distros available now which run so efficiently on older hardware. 

Yet another Windows update released this week, another reboot and another trip through ‘Shut Up Windows’ config to reset whatever the update switches on again!

On 10/7/2021 at 8:47 AM, MattyWS said:

cutefish-um-novo-ambiente-de-desktop-linux-com-visual-de-macos-2.jpg.9eacbc39293ff57c2b684603bdffea74.jpgup-b223480045a53d2ac26a5582603bca625c8mjjarmln1de.png.cfde6b5012b14a40d60425edddd542cd.png

The amount of gorgeous looking OS's coming out of the Linux world is astounding and increasing. There's no lack of design talent and vision there. It's so customizable. You can get a Mac or Windows UI clone if you wanted to or do something completely innovative. It's so awesome.

And yeah, I use Pop OS. It's awesome. Started with a Mac theme, now I figured the dock is annoying and got rid of it.

Wish Affinity was on it. I'd buy it in a second (full price).

2 hours ago, Framelynx said:

cutefish-um-novo-ambiente-de-desktop-linux-com-visual-de-macos-2.jpg.9eacbc39293ff57c2b684603bdffea74.jpgup-b223480045a53d2ac26a5582603bca625c8mjjarmln1de.png.cfde6b5012b14a40d60425edddd542cd.png

The amount of gorgeous looking OS's coming out of the Linux world is astounding and increasing. There's no lack of design talent and vision there. It's so customizable. You can get a Mac or Windows UI clone if you wanted to or do something completely innovative. It's so awesome.

And yeah, I use Pop OS. It's awesome. Started with a Mac theme, now I figured the dock is annoying and got rid of it.

Wish Affinity was on it. I'd buy it in a second (full price).

Is it really design talent and vision if it is just copying something else? Personally I no longer care about changing too many things around, I like the way MacOS works in general, would not want to spend the time to make another OS work like it while I can't use the apps I need. The OS is secondary to the apps I run and not something I give all that much thought to anymore. 

12 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Is it really design talent and vision if it is just copying something else? Personally I no longer care about changing too many things around, I like the way MacOS works in general, would not want to spend the time to make another OS work like it while I can't use the apps I need. The OS is secondary to the apps I run and not something I give all that much thought to anymore. 

Because clones are copies of the proven design choices, it can appear that there isn't design talent, but Linux has no entry bar, no paywall. 100% there is going to be talent amongst clones and some starter design choices (like Garuda's, but I ain't dissing Garuda... I use it as my main. They have a nice color choice, just that their graphic designer game is weak).

Looking at that background of light plates is a damn treat. Soft colored shadows and soft gradients? Daym! That background is pulling all the weight on that Desktop.

2 hours ago, Renzatic said:

Unless your OS keeps getting in your way, or doesn't do certain things as well as other OSes, hence the reason why some people are jumping over to Linux.

I completely agree if your OS is getting in the way, I think that is a preference thing though and subjective. One person is effecitient using Windows 10, another (like myself) much more in MacOS. I am more than competent with both OS's but prefer the way MacOS works for when I need to interact with the OS UI. 

4 hours ago, Pufty said:

Because clones are copies of the proven design choices, it can appear that there isn't design talent, but Linux has no entry bar, no paywall. 100% there is going to be talent amongst clones and some starter design choices (like Garuda's, but I ain't dissing Garuda... I use it as my main. They have a nice color choice, just that their graphic designer game is weak).

Looking at that background of light plates is a damn treat. Soft colored shadows and soft gradients? Daym! That background is pulling all the weight on that Desktop.

I think the talent comes from creating it in the first place. You can make copies of great works of art and duplicate them with great skill and precision, but it was the artist that thought of all the little things you love about the painting, the colour, the tone, everything. 

How often are you looking at your desktop wallpaper? I have all spaces with different backgrounds as it helps me quickly know what space I am in, but after that I am only seeing my desktop wallpaper for a brief moment when looking/opening a folder. 

30 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I think the talent comes from creating it in the first place. You can make copies of great works of art and duplicate them with great skill and precision, but it was the artist that thought of all the little things you love about the painting, the colour, the tone, everything. 

How often are you looking at your desktop wallpaper? I have all spaces with different backgrounds as it helps me quickly know what space I am in, but after that I am only seeing my desktop wallpaper for a brief moment when looking/opening a folder. 

Talent comes from either natural excitement or enough experience. Experience comes from creating, so you might be right. Making copies of great work only creates the illusion that you're great. I've been in that trap. You never get to construct the fundamentals yourself, so you never really are able to stand on your own two legs. Not saying you won't pick up method/technique or experience, but fundamentally constructing something is the best.

As often as it appears as I also use Desktop programs on my Desktop PC? The background in that mac theme was pulling all the design weight, but that's merely because the iOS/Mac theme is boring. It's easy to replicate, simple, but that's likely the intent behind it. The background of some simple plates right there takes the cake for the Desktop looking awesome, because lighting, shadows, entire shape is soft. It's way more than opening Blender and pressing render on the Default cube.

@wonderings@Pufty Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not saying there's great design talent in copying the Mac & Windows themes. There really is other original UI designs out there that are better and get out of the user's way. (I just picked the most recent example which probably isn't the best) - Also it's hard to capture how an OS feels to use simply with screenshots.

Ubuntu / PopOS (The og OS. One of the most supported and customizable OS's with its extensions and tweaks. I didn't warm up to it at the beginning coming from MacOS but it's grown on me.)
InstantOS (focusing on snappy keyboard driven interface for power users)
HaikuOS (A little retro, kinda cute, looks and functions different to most)
FerenOS (Feels quite nice, modern, yet familar, quite smooth and functional)
TinyCoreOS (Probably the smallest modern GUI OS)
There's this other weird one that's the most original OS ever but the worst to use! LOL. But it was amazingly light and fast for a graphic intensive OS. The only thing it had going.
Pling OS Themes has 51,078 UI themes there! Some are copies, some are very different and experimental. Some are really cool.

There's tonnes more of course. And I'm not just talking about the tool bar, dock, file manager. I'm guessing most people on a thread about linux is a linux user and has probably distro-hopped right?

Also saying that apart from the cool alternatives, which might scare aware new users to gnu/linux, there is the Mac/Win clones to ease people in. And making the point that g'linux is so damn customizable, it's like a UI buffet!

Sorry, were we supposed to be talking about Affinity on Linux? What more can be said?