You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

13 hours ago, thedrumdoctor said:

Maybe the Crossover developers can work this one out in the future as it seems to be their mission.

The most reliable and cheapest way for Affinity to work on Linux, is if Affinity crowd funded $9000 to "Port Jump" for "Crossover". It's about the cost of:

• 2x Adobe Full Premium Studio licenses (back in the day). OR
  • 1x Spec'd out Macbook with the Full Adobe Premium Suite. OR
  • 40x Affinity Licenses for Photo+Designer+Publisher.

https://www.codeweavers.com/portjump#portjump-packages

But this might be asking a bit too much... where are we going to get 40+ interested buyers? Sorry... 39?

4 hours ago, Framelynx said:

The most reliable and cheapest way for Affinity to work on Linux, is if Affinity crowd funded $9000 to "Port Jump" for "Crossover".

That $9000 only gets you a quote for doing the work - assuming that "up to" 20 hours is enough.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

23 minutes ago, IanSG said:

That $9000 only gets you a quote for doing the work - assuming that "up to" 20 hours is enough.

Ahh right you are. I wonder how much a port of Affinity would cost?

I'm sure it would still be cheaper than actual dedicated development for linux, which would be in the millions.

How about a crowd-fund for enhancing Inkscape ?

Windows 11 will drive many people onto the Microsoft cloud for software applications as they won't be able to afford new PCs.

Creative people will not trust the cloud environment - moreover when a very good alternative (Linux + open source software) already exists.

I wouldn't have anything againt say $20 a head for a better Inkscape  . . . especially if the improvements were agreed by consensus/

The problem with Inskape is that is SVG oriented and lately even SVG standard has become unstable (they've postponed or removed meshes...).

If it needs EPS, must be able to reverse engineer it and support the similar feature forth and back.

Otherwise, for me, it's pretty capable as it is now.

Photoshop/Photo have no match, IMHO.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:36 AM, chris35 said:

+1 it would be a great thing to port them to Linux! I haven't used Windows for years, and my Affinity licenses don't help me ...

You have Affinity licenses but have not used Windows for years, are you using a Mac or just super generous to buy software you don't use?

On 8/16/2021 at 5:38 AM, Framelynx said:

Ahh right you are. I wonder how much a port of Affinity would cost?

I'm sure it would still be cheaper than actual dedicated development for linux, which would be in the millions.

What do you get with this port if you had the group in the link you posted do it? What happens when Affinity has updates, are they given the base Linux code to do this themselves? Curious how this would work for developers who do not have in house people to maintain and program for Linux. 

A native Linux version of the Affinity package would be the last missing piece to convince me to finally switch from Windows to Linux. Especially because Publisher would be the first really modern and usuable DTP software on Linux. Also, Photo and Designer are far ahead of GIMP and Inkscape. Affinity on Linux would really fill an urgently needed gap.

10 hours ago, wolle said:

A native Linux version of the Affinity package would be the last missing piece to convince me to finally switch from Windows to Linux. Especially because Publisher would be the first really modern and usuable DTP software on Linux. Also, Photo and Designer are far ahead of GIMP and Inkscape. Affinity on Linux would really fill an urgently needed gap.

The way things are trending now, it will be the drift of existing Windows users towards user-friendly Linux distros that drags Affinity to Linux rather than the other way around.

Windows 11 is something that will drive this trend.

So will the new-found independence people feel after working alone from home during the covid crisis.

No one wants to be a client of Microsoft, Apple, Adobe or whoever any more than have their social exchanges monitored by Facebook.

36 minutes ago, tamjk said:

I have a feeling the Google Chromebooks may well kick into the Windows 11 market. People really don't need Windows to do most domestic stuff these days. I mean, when the internet first became affordable on dial-up everyone needed a Windows 9* machine and a modem to connect. To connect to the internet now, you can do it on a phone or tablet. Office 365 still has legs for business and educational licensing plus for domestic users, there are great family subscription deals with generous cloud storage and access to the most full-fat versions of the hand-held device Office apps (as well as full-blown desktop installs). But the need to buy new hardware to run Windows 11 at home is going to be a hard sell. People have been asking for years now, "do we really need a 'home computer'?" as hand-held devices offer 90+% of their needs. I keep telling a friend who regularly calls me with problems from his 2 Windows 10 laptops to sack the laptops and buy an iPad Pro or a MacBook Pro. I'd never suggest Linux as it would confuse the issue more for him and his wife, but they are ideal candidates for Apple OS' - especially as they both do photography as a hobby.

I still think Linux is a hard sell to mainstream consumers but the recent pushes into gaming could tip the balance. We could see a world-wide revolution of millions of teenagers building their own Linux machines as gaming digs in. This would really be a kick in the balls for M$ and their home market and especially OEM licensing on pre-built high-end gaming machines. If the world-wide OS usage stats take a distinct turn for Linux then it's going to be an opportunity for software developers.

44 minutes ago, tamjk said:

The way things are trending now, it will be the drift of existing Windows users towards user-friendly Linux distros that drags Affinity to Linux rather than the other way around.

So will the new-found independence people feel after working alone from home during the covid crisis.

No one wants to be a client of Microsoft, Apple, Adobe or whoever any more than have their social exchanges monitored by Facebook.

I think most people don't care as much as you think they do. If people really hated Adobe why is their user base continually rising? Windows 11 from my understanding is going to be free for anyone using Windows 10 so upgrading on that alone costs nothing. Of course you need a PC that supports Windows 11 which seems like it is going to be a very small number to start. That being said the OS is becoming less and less important. I prefer Mac OS but like Windows 10 as well, but very little time is spent in the actual OS itself, it is all spent in the applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've read the first few initial posts in 2017 about this and it wasn't very hopeful to see Affinity on Linux, but I'd like to know whether there has been any different judgement/decision today in 2021. I'm one that has been losing trust in windows for a few years now and switched to Linux with mostly no hitches. My workflow was re-adjusted almost completely within a week and I'm not very good with consoles etc.

I will look into the 'compatability layer' methods I've heard about to maybe use Affinity as a windows program, but so far I'd like to know if I can hold back from messing with console commands

For years I've been wanting to move off Windows and onto Linux, but without pro apps for a graphic designer, I can't. I understand the chicken and egg situation - No designers using Linux because there's no apps for them. There are no apps for them because all the graphic designers are using Windows/Mac.

I truely do not care what OS I'm using. I started on Macs and loved the interface, but moved to Windows because Mac's hardware stopped giving me ports and storage. (When you live in Africa, we can't just fit in with first world thinking of "everything in the cloud" and just connect wirelessly. We barely have electricity, let alone always-on highsleed, affordable broadband) It was a hardware decision not an OS preference. I support Affinity because I've always been a sucker for the under dog. It's as much of a poke in Adobe's eye as it is a better financial choice. (I suspect that's the case for many Affinity users).

I apply the same attitude to Linux. It's the under dog and want to support it.

I don't even care what distro I have to use. If Affinity announced that their apps only ran on one speciffic Linux distro, eg: Mint KDE, I would choose that distro as my Linux OS. If they chose Manjaro or Suse... done.

Side note... I'd support a kickstarter fund - even if it's to guage the financial viability of Linux support.

1 hour ago, Stephen_H said:

For years I've been wanting to move off Windows and onto Linux, but without pro apps for a graphic designer, I can't. I understand the chicken and egg situation - No designers using Linux because there's no apps for them. There are no apps for them because all the graphic designers are using Windows/Mac.

I truely do not care what OS I'm using. I started on Macs and loved the interface, but moved to Windows because Mac's hardware stopped giving me ports and storage. (When you live in Africa, we can't just fit in with first world thinking of "everything in the cloud" and just connect wirelessly. We barely have electricity, let alone always-on highsleed, affordable broadband) It was a hardware decision not an OS preference. I support Affinity because I've always been a sucker for the under dog. It's as much of a poke in Adobe's eye as it is a better financial choice. (I suspect that's the case for many Affinity users).

I apply the same attitude to Linux. It's the under dog and want to support it.

I don't even care what distro I have to use. If Affinity announced that their apps only ran on one speciffic Linux distro, eg: Mint KDE, I would choose that distro as my Linux OS. If they chose Manjaro or Suse... done.

Side note... I'd support a kickstarter fund - even if it's to guage the financial viability of Linux support.

Love this response to the point where I got nothing to add... Only that I'd be behind paying again or joining the kickstarter fund.

On my own I STILL switched to Linux, even though it heavily hurt my ability to create, but I took extra hours after work to do my design tasks on windows and now I've got a virtual machine(Wine path wasn't a success for me) on my Linux Desktop. It's slow and finnicky, but I still choose to use Affinity any way I can.