You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

19 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Serif could use this as a marketing and PR move

Yes, it's an interesting thought.

Serif could put some small developer resources in figuring out why Wine stops with initializing the art board. There are multiple solutions for OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan etc out there that might get this to work without much development cost. You'll either find out the solution is simple or complex. Isn't it a risk worth taking?

They could even list an AppImage for Linux containing Wine and the Windows version on their downloads page and call it a courtesy release without support. Wouldn't this be low hanging fruit for Serif?

10 hours ago, aronkvh said:

Is there a better way to run Photo than a kvm with pci passtrough currently.

Not at the moment, no.

If I had to guess why the Affinity programs don't run well in WINE, I'd say it's because the WINE devs' primary concern is getting Windows games up and running in Linux, and if any desktop applications like Photoshop, Office, Affinity Photo, et al. end up working, that's mostly down to happy coincidence. 

I have an idea...
If Serif open a presale (like a kickstarter crow funding) selling a Linux Version and supossing they raise i don know.... $500.000 (i don't know what number could be profitable to make a Linux Version) and if the goal is not raised the money is back and do nothing.

The "excuse" always is that maybe a linux version is not profitable but with this way is guaranteed that the money can be enough.
What's your opinion guys?

I use Linux Mint and is a rock solid SO and i can't back to windows because i don't have good design software... and every day read of people wishing buy a linux version...

1 minute ago, jpintos said:

I have an idea...
If Serif open a presale (like a kickstarter crow funding) selling a Linux Version and supossing they raise i don know.... $500.000 (i don't know what number could be profitable to make a Linux Version) and if the goal is not raised the money is back and do nothing.

The "excuse" always is that maybe a linux version is not profitable but with this way is guaranteed that the money can be enough.
What's your opinion guys?

I use Linux Mint and is a rock solid SO and i can't back to windows because i don't have good design software... and every day read of people wishing buy a linux version...

This is actually a brilliant idea!

12 hours ago, jpintos said:

Affinity had already responded to this idea a year or two ago and rejected this.

The last suggestion from the community that does not have a fully informed response is to work around the Wine incompatibility (and perhaps package a Wine-loaded appImage to offer on the download page). Perhaps they can consider a fundraiser for investigating the wine incompatibility.

On 1/30/2021 at 12:34 AM, ChrisWhy said:

I'm a professional designer who uses Linux. I would purchase Affinity products if they supported Linux, or even just made their apps work in Wine. Blender, Maya, DaVinci Resolve, Gravit Designer... All are great graphics tools and run on Linux. GIMP, Inkscape, and Scribus are all pretty good, but if Affinity offered theirs, I would switch.

There are already professional grade softwares available to Linux users in those areas including, but not limited to, PhotoLine + Wine, Figma (universal Electron app) and VivaDesigner (native Linux). The issue there is that they are not as well known as they should be.

4 hours ago, Snapseed said:

There are already professional grade softwares available to Linux users in those areas including, but not limited to, PhotoLine + Wine, Figma (universal Electron app) and VivaDesigner (native Linux). The issue there is that they are not as well known as they should be.

How does VivaDesigner compare to Affinity & InDesign?

If it's closer to them than Scribus, I'll have to give it a whirl.

36 minutes ago, Bez Bezson said:

I'm far from being well versed with the desktop publishers, but I did download the .appimage just to try it out, and it seems...okay. It's easy to find out for yourself, since you don't have to install anything, nor register to try out the demo.

19 hours ago, Bez Bezson said:

I'm afraid I can't answer that question since I'm a 100% Linux user and so I can't compare it to Affinity or InDesign for obvious reasons. What I can say is that I think the Linux version is competent desktop publishing software. Why not try the free or demo version and see how you get on with it?

Several times I've visited Figma, in its updates, what it can do , etc,... great for what it is designed for, fast and flexible prototyping, working with a team, for webs and apps... As a graphic design (specially for print, more complex designs, etc)  package, with enough tools... Quite basic compared to Affinity Designer or Inkscape. IMO. Scribus... Not an easy UI, that's for sure. But seems it is capable. Can't say more as I've only used publishing tools when some project have needed it, not versed on it. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

"How does VivaDesigner compare to Affinity & InDesign? If it's closer to them than Scribus, I'll have to give it a whirl."

http://www.viva.us/en/products/desktop-publishing/vivadesigner-desktop-version

As someone who tried out VivaDesigner soon after the arrival of the cloud...yes, THAT PARTICULAR cloud (before the arrival of Affinity Publisher)...I can say that--albeit using the free version--it is most impressive. The typographic tools are QUITE good (which SHOULD be expected from a software that was once sold by Linotype). The free version doesn't offer a facility for the full range of features included in the importation of graphic files, but--if one reads the web site--VivaDesigner is the single most impressive COMMERCIAL layout software ever devised for use under Mac, Windows, AND Linux. For starters, it is the ONLY package that imports AND exports files in .IDML format, imports PDF as native objects, AND imports .INDD files. I am planning to buy a copy of VivaDesigner to run beside Affinity Publisher to use it as a conversion tool.

Having said all that--and having used both of them--Affinity Publisher leaves VD in the dust in six areas.

1) Price: VivaDesigner is not sold on subscription but is about $399.00 USD from the straight buy ($299 if you're able to do a "crossgrade" from certain Layout packages) AND THAT IS FOR A SINGLE LICENSE with NO second computer being considered (at the time of purchase, Viva offers a second license for roughly $30-50 USD additionally).

2) UI: Affinity Publisher has a MUCH more inviting UI than VivaDesigner. Don't believe me? Download the free version of VD and use the stylesheets.

3) StudioLink: " 'Nuff said."

4) Support for Pantone.

5) Supported on the Linux platform

6) As mentioned before, it is the only layout package that will--independent of an InDesign installation--import .INDD files and export .IDML files.

I plan to buy it because--in addition to running Windows and Mac--I run Linux as a production environment (Blender, BlackMagic Fusion, Enve...). By the way, for those of you running AD on Windows, you should try running Enve on Windows and importing your SVG files exported from AD and animating them. Enve is an open source, 2D animation software that runs on Linux and Windows...  https://maurycyliebner.github.io/. Enve has a feel that reminds me of old school Macromedia Flash.

16 minutes ago, Quarian said:

...Affinity Publisher leaves VD in the dust in six areas.

4) Support for Pantone.

Did you mean to say VD does not support Pantone?

Capture_000788.png.a25f2953182da0da01e3f7e607311520.png

However, there are not as many installed Ptone pallets. They are relatively simple XML files, though.

The latest update also added direct .indt support.

22 hours ago, Quarian said:

"However, there are not as many installed Ptone pallets."

Precisely. I should have been more clear. I stand corrected, sir, and tip my hat to you.

Pantone offers two ways to get correct color values(L*a*b* numbers) for all of their fan decks:

Pantone Connect- www.pantone.com/connect

Pantone Color Manager- for mac, https://www.pantone.com/media/downloads/software/Pantone_Color_Manager_Mac.zip and for pc- https://www.pantone.com/media/downloads/software/Pantone_Color_Manager_Windows.zip

Pantone Color Manager requires that you own an X-Rite color measurement device , or order a license key in order for it to work.  Although the website states that it cannot be ordered on the website, you can get a license key by making a phone-based order.

The advantage of Pantone Color Manager is that it allows you to export the fan deck L*a*b* color values in a .ASE file, which Affinity applications can import as a palette of spot

colors.

If you are only trying to get a few spot colors, Pantone Connect can enable that for you. Be warned that L*a*b* color values may become a charged feature in the near future.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:25 PM, VanessaS said:

As I said, none of the alternatives for Linux meets my needs. I've tried all of those editors, I know Diolinux's patch as well. I've had the same conversation countless times throughout the years and every time people think they're suggesting me something new I haven't tried before. 

I'm not saying the applications available for Linux aren't good. They are great for many photographers. What I'm saying is, they are not suitable for **ME and MY work.** I'm not a photographer who offers photo sessions and deliver small digital images. I sell prints through an art gallery. I print, sell and work on the same images for many years. They must match perfectly, it doesn't matter if I've printed them today or 5 years ago. They must be exactly the same. 

Since I don't want to use Adobe products anymore, I will stick to Affinity, even though it's a pity they will not develop a Linux application. Maybe in the future there will be something I can use on Linux, but for now, that's not an option. 

I see now and since you really do need professional software to do your work then that leaves only two practical solutions - use Windows 8.1 or 10 that are both currently supported or use macOS on Apple products.

I know that Apple computers are expensive and if Windows is less than satisfactory for you then I'd suggest trying out a Macbook or iMac at an Apple store or trying out a friend's Apple computer. I know of people who have bought refurbished Macs, etc. from reputable suppliers to lower the purchase cost and that has worked out well for them.

In one case, a friend of mine used to have a Windows desktop PC and I'd be regularly helping her out with computer issues but she switched to a new iMac (and very nice it is too) and I haven't been called out once to assist her. Similarly, I only ever had one Linux (Ubuntu) request for help and that was solved. I think that says something about the stability and reliability of the Unix-like operating systems.

If there's one thing I've come to notice during my time in Linux, it's how bad the font rendering is in Windows. I feel like a total nerd for nitpicking something like this, but hell, it's SO NICE having clear, clean text everywhere that doesn't look like it's padded in rainbow colored antialiasing.

I really think it's a pity that Serif refuses to develop a Linux-version or even just making it work with wine.

But: Thanks to the answers above I tried VivaDesigner out now and I really think it is quiet an astonishing alternative!
I think I would even buy a copy - in the end we have to support companies that (still) develop native Linux software!

40 minutes ago, FeWa said:

I really think it's a pity that Serif refuses to develop a Linux-version or even just making it work with wine.

But: Thanks to the answers above I tried VivaDesigner out now and I really think it is quiet an astonishing alternative!
I think I would even buy a copy - in the end we have to support companies that (still) develop native Linux software!

Yep, it costs over seven times what Affinity Publisher does, but I'm seriously considering it too.

22 hours ago, FeWa said:

While I get that porting over the Affinity products isn't yet an economically viable option due to Linux's relatively small current market share, I don't think it is being unreasonable to ask the Serif Affinity team to have some initial informal discussions with the Codeweavers developers to see if it is possible to make the Affinity softwares run reasonably well with Crossover/Wine. The answer might still be 'No' but at least they will have tried.

The Windows-only PhotoScape image editor does work well with Wine so much so that there's now an Ubuntu Snap version. If, for example, Affinity Photo also came in a bundled Snap, then I would have already bought it and it would already be running on my desktop PC.

PS l should add that the PageStream desktop publishing software is also available for Linux. It has an old school interface a bit like Serif's own PagePlus software and l have not tried it out. 

I would love a Linux version of Affinity apps, or a version of Wine that could load them. I am far too technologically promiscuous to say I would commit to Linux, but if I could reduce my reliance on macOS/Windows it would be a step in the right direction.

But one of the reasons that this is so hard is that unlike with office document formats, there are really no standard formats for graphic source files. I know there are image file formats, but source file formats used by design applications are not readily transferable between suites. I guess a .psd file is as close as it gets, may be .svg for vectors, but certainly not much that is transferable for page layout. It amuses me that the reason we have fairly standard office file formats is actually the market dominance of Microsoft. On the face of it, very un-Linux. That Libreoffice and other office suites can hitch a ride (dare I say it?) on these ubiquitous formats means that Linux is now very viable, if these office apps are all you need. Not so graphic design. What chance Affinity file formats becoming open enough to be imported/exported by other software? Not great I guess.

Edited by zer0aster

On 2/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, zer0aster said:

I would love a Linux version of Affinity apps, or a version of Wine that could load them. I am far too technologically promiscuous to say I would commit to Linux, but if I could reduce my reliance on macOS/Windows it would be a step in the right direction.

But one of the reasons that this is so hard is that unlike with office document formats, there are really no standard formats for graphic source files. I know there are image file formats, but source file formats used by design applications are not readily transferable between suites. I guess a .psd file is as close as it gets, may be .svg for vectors, but certainly not much that is transferable for page layout. It amuses me that the reason we have fairly standard office file formats is actually the market dominance of Microsoft. On the face of it, very un-Linux. That Libreoffice and other office suites can hitch a ride (dare I say it?) on these ubiquitous formats means that Linux is now very viable, if these office apps are all you need. Not so graphic design. What chance Affinity file formats becoming open enough to be imported/exported by other software? Not great I guess.

I would say there is a standard and that is Adobe. For page layout the standard is Indesign, for vector Illustrator and photos Photoshop. The vast majority of creative professionals are using Adobe (at least for print and publishing). I do not think there is any perfect conversion even among Office programs. I know in Microsoft Office word files can open differently for me then someone who sent me the Word file, which is why I always ask for a PDF as I will then get a file that looks how they see it on their end. Sure some are better then others but I think as things get more complex so do the issues with a standard file format that will work  with multiple applications from different developers.