You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

22 hours ago, jtriangle said:

Sure, you wouldn't buy 20 licenses and yolo your whole company into it. You'd buy one license, or a trial, and make sure it works for what you need it for. Trials are available for existing platforms, so, stands to reason that they'd also be available for a linux version.

I don't personally see fragmentation as a huge issue, nor is the lack of fragmentation a great selling point when the alternative is essentially indentured servitude to adobe. All of the fragmentation is solved by using PDF if you need to ship a file somewhere, hence "portable document format", which is a trick that psd/psb/ai/idd/etc were never meant to be used for. Also, I've not found CC to be as stable as CS5/5.5 was back in the day, it's gone downhill since then. The GPU acceleration has  broken a number of times on the workstations that I've supported and it's crashed the whole app on numerous occasions. It's always happened after an update, and has usually been solved by running DDU and getting the latest graphics drivers, but not always. This isn't on whitebox hacked together workstations either, they're all nice Dell workstations that don't otherwise have issues. Also, Adobe support is worse than useless, so when you run into issues, your best bet is to google the problem and hope that someone's fixed it previously.

I'd also hazard to say that your opinions of affinity have insufficient qualifications to have your opinions taken seriously, being as you're an adobe fanboi and don't really use Affinity in a serious manner. I've got 15 workstations with photo/designer on them and the comparison is better than 1:1. Affinity is just better all around, it's snappier, the UI is more efficient, and it's been just as stable as the CC apps. Further, we gave the users the choice to use one or the other after having them use Affinity photo/designer exclusively for a couple weeks and not a single person wanted to go back to CC. 

Not sure what your point is about the trials, I was asking someone who said they would buy the software sight unseen basically. Yes if there was a version for Linux it would be wise to try it, I am pro trying software before buying.

Fragmentation was a huge issue as people used to share working files for changes down the line. Yes PDF is the way to go but when I need to work on a file or need to make adjustment the client supplies me their design files and I go from there. In the past this was a nightmare at time, either they were ahead of us or sharing files to them we were ahead. It was not a world shattering issue but it was saving in idml or for lower versions and hoping everything stayed the same. 

GPU acceleration has not given me any issues nor is it complained about in our company. Indesign runs amazing with high res images, makes working in it a dream compared to the days when you had a low quality preview just to move around the page. This might be a Windows thing, we are almost all Mac here so the issues you are having might be related to Adobe on Windows. 

I am someone who likes Adobe and have used them for many years, if you want to call me a "fanboi" go right ahead, though I am thinking you are using it is a derogatory name and not sure why. I am a pro user, as in I make my living with my software and right now that is Adobe and has been for many years since moving away from Quark and Corel. If you want to right off peoples opinions because they do not share your own 100% be my guest, I do not think that is the wisest approach to life though. 

I find Affinity to be snappy and fast as well when I have used it, Publisher not so much as it bogs down with larger page counts but that is more in the extremes and believe that will be fixed in time. I praise Affinity a lot on this forum, I am not emotionally attached to Adobe or Affinity, I want to use what is best for me and makes sense for the industry I am in. I am also not opposed to anyone switching to Affinity if it works for them, the software is a tremendous value for the price, it really can't be beat. If I felt comfortable switching over 100% we would be all over that. At the moment I am not. In time I am sure that will change, Affinity is still in V1 after all. 

I use all three OS's at different times but my overriding preference is Mac OS. I set up a laptop with Linux Mint 20 and it's such a nice experience that I find myself spending more and more time using it (I'm a web / app developer primarily). I've tried to get Photo / Designer running in Linux but other than using a virtualized OS it hasn't happened. Having Affinity's products running on Linux would SERIOUSLY mess with my head: I'd probably find myself using Linux more than Mac OS and I've never been in that situation before! But I'd love to find out how things pan out in that case.

Add me to the list of people who don't use Windows/Mac, but who would buy if there was a native Linux version.

(Definitely Publisher and Designer, but probably Photo too.) 

I came here after being sold on how much better Affinity is than Scribus, but then I found out that I can't switch.

If you ever decide to make it, I'd be happy to be a beta tester for the Linux version.

Edited by Bez Bezson

1 hour ago, Bez Bezson said:

Add me to the list of people who don't use Windows/Mac, but who would buy if there was a native Linux version.

(Definitely Publisher and Designer, but probably Photo too.) 

I came here after being sold on how much better Affinity is than Scribus, but then I found out that I can't switch.

If you ever decide to make it, I'd be happy to be a beta tester for the Linux version.

Yeah, who wouldn't... I'd be happy with a Steam version, or a Wine + Proton one, if not native, really...

1 hour ago, Unleavened Tech said:

It looks like Linux is one of the most requested features 🙂

If you sort by Most replies or Most Views, you can see that this thread along with the Linux threads is the most active.

image.thumb.png.6dad329e8bcf121cfa2fb13e4b05503b.png

I hope you are already working on a Linux version.

I'm developer and can tell you, that most companies are moving also their main os from windows to linux in terms of optimal and secure development environment. Maybe that's the reason why microsoft are aiming to use Linux Kernel in future and just set their own desktop on top. 

And I think as soon some graphic players moving their tools like Affinity or Photoshop to Linux, the private market is moving in big steps to linux desktop too.

So I'm not wondering the high interest, because many I know are searching for tools with linux support and decide then to switch the OS.

But if they don't find their tools, they stay at windows or mac...

Affinity for Linux would be the best thing on LInux beside Blender. Affinity seems to care more about trends and less about community and I hope that will change soon. I am not sure why anyone is worshiping WIndows OS, what can you do there and you can't on Linux?

Now Affinity have studiolink, the next logical step for me is to bring this masterpiece on Linux. For the good of all mankind. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, SaulGoodman said:

Affinity for Linux would be the best thing on LInux beside Blender. Affinity seems to care more about trends and less about community and I hope that will change soon. I am not sure why anyone is worshiping WIndows OS, what can you do there and you can't on Linux?

Now Affinity have studiolink, the next logical step for me is to bring this masterpiece on Linux. For the good of all mankind. 

Where do you get that Affinity is caring more about trends and less about the community? They are doing great things and improving their software regularly all still under V1. Many of the things they have added I assumed and wrongly predicted would be in the V2 paid release. To my surprise they are coming out in V1 or out already. They are definitely listening to the community... just not the Linux community. 

Not sure why everyone is so down on Windows these days. They have a spotty past and some bad releases but they have been doing quite well lately. Windows 7 was good, Windows 10 even better. It is not the doom and gloom, sky is falling, world is exploding as many seem to make out when referring to working in Windows. I prefer Mac myself, but use Win 10 regularly and find it a good user experience. 

37 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Not sure why everyone is so down on Windows these days. They have a spotty past and some bad releases but they have been doing quite well lately. Windows 7 was good, Windows 10 even better. It is not the doom and gloom, sky is falling, world is exploding as many seem to make out when referring to working in Windows. I prefer Mac myself, but use Win 10 regularly and find it a good user experience. 

It is simple. Windows 10 is privacy and user control nightmare. Appart from 24/7 spying (and no, it is not "telemetry", it is just plain spying/surveillance), someone else (read MSFT) can remotely control anything on your computer, change or force some settings and updates, install, unistall whatever they want. You are no longer in control of your computer and your data. For some people this is unacceptable and they will not put up with that. Not sure why some people are surprised by this backlash or even mocking it.

Windows 7 was good. I agree with that. At least until they started with the "telemetry" updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to purchase Affinity Publisher but since I've almost migrated to Linux, I'm disappointed that Serif has no plans to make a Linux version or better still, a platform independent web version. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Case in point:

I needed professional PDF software for work but since Adobe Acrobat is not natively supported on Linux, I purchased Qoppa PDF Studio Professional which supports Linux and I've been using it happily for over 2 years now.

I currently own Designer, Photo and Publisher and would pay for an extra license if they released it for Linux.

My humble two cents on why it makes sense on publishing Affinity suite on Linux is:

1. Affinity's approach of being affordable, independent and the alternative to a number of competitors
  2. Less strict, more trust-based approach on licensing (in my eyes, they are the CDPR of graphics design / manipulation software industry)
  3. The huge lack of proper graphics design / manipulation softwares on Linux platform

How it could be done?

• Steam Store + Proton
  • A little help with the guys who make Wine or WinApps, or even maybe some minimal collaboration

Yes, Linux usage is very minimal, but it's growing. Steam had a big role in it. Now is the time to invest into it.

Kind regards and happy new year!

On 12/25/2020 at 11:15 PM, zeknoss said:
  • Steam Store + Proton

Please no another software tied to Steam. I appreciate what Valve is doing for Linux and I have bought a few games and a software from their store. But I still prefer a software that doesn't require regular online check. Standalone and independent (on any app store) programs are best.

56 minutes ago, raptor said:

Please no another software tied to Steam. I appreciate what Valve is doing for Linux and I have bought a few games and a software from their store. But I still prefer a software that doesn't require regular online check. Standalone and independent (on any app store) programs are best.

I can agree on this one. My only reason to bring up the Steam Store + Proton was to make the devs' lives a bit easier with some sort of corporate support, that's all.

5 hours ago, zeknoss said:

I can agree on this one. My only reason to bring up the Steam Store + Proton was to make the devs' lives a bit easier with some sort of corporate support, that's all.

I'd take it however they wanted to do it honestly.

Steam/proton is a decent enough platform, and, I'm more than willing to jump through any hoops that they decide are necessary (likely for anti-piracy reasons).

Add me to the list. I would buy all of Affinity's software if it available on Linux, but I'm not buying it until it is. Because as long as I'm stuck on Windows, I might as well use Adobe software. I don't care much about price. Whoever gets a quality vector graphic software and After Effects alternative to Linux first gets my money. I despise Windows and want to get out of this train-wreck of an OS as fast as possible.

Nuke, the industry standard compositing software for film has been available on Linux for a long time. And when you talk to VFX industry-heads, that's what they'll tell you. Get used to Linux. It's stronger, more stable, more efficient, faster, more customizable, more secure, has better support offerings, as seen with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. For all industry applications it is the OS of choice.

I know design students with Macbooks may not be nerdy enough to want to use Affinity software on Linux on their own, but the industry-level people are. If Affinity wants to take it to Adobe, that's an easy way to beat them, and grab market-share where Adobe is completely missing out.

Whoever gets a quality vector graphic software and After Effects

Have you tried Fusion 17 from BlackMagicDesign ? I've read some pros on the field saying they have been able to adapt to it...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

7 hours ago, manumanu said:

Is there at least a tutorial to use it with a virtual machine such as Wine in order to use the product ?

Wine is not a virtual machine.

The Affinity applications should run (though probably slower) in a true virtual machine that is running a full installation of Windows. I don't recall seeing any reports of having the applications running under Windows emulators such as Wine, but I don't keep track of that closely.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I too would love to be able to work on Linux. Currenly I'd have to install Windows in a virtual machine but that's a complex solution that would steal power from a computer. A native linux solution or a solution working with WineHQ (or maybe Steam's Proton??) would be good as well. As long as Affinity works with WineHQ to maintain the compatibility layer.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:17 AM, walt.farrell said:

Wine is not a virtual machine.

The Affinity applications should run (though probably slower) in a true virtual machine that is running a full installation of Windows. I don't recall seeing any reports of having the applications running under Windows emulators such as Wine, but I don't keep track of that closely.

Waow ! :57_cry: I´m so surprised there isn´t any solution for Linux  in 2021. Not even a tutorial O.o

For those who have a ¨real¨emulator : Do you know which one is the best in order to preserve ressource for this software please ? TY 

@manumanu the only option to date  is a virtual machine. Which means that you need to install windows inside Linux and run the affinity products inside that. Like a matrioska.

Also, Wine Is Not an Emulator (Wine's name is exactly this acronym 😉), it is a compatibility layer and currently doesn't work with the affinity software.