You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

3 hours ago, Redsandro said:

It was the Mozilla Corporation - not Debian

And here it comes. It's always somebody else's fault with some people in the Linux so-called community. Mozilla does not owe Debian a browser any more than Affinity owes Debian some graphics programs.

I have heard these arguments forever. It's just a diversion from getting on and doing things.

13 minutes ago, jtriangle said:

the current install base is much, much larger than 10,000 users

Do not confuse the installed Linux base, which is certainly large enough, with the number of people who would actually spend money. That is why I wrote the word POTENTIAL in capital letters. To some people, quite a few people in the Linux world actually, spending money on commercial software is abhorrent. 

3 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Do not confuse the installed Linux base, which is certainly large enough, with the number of people who would actually spend money. That is why I wrote the word POTENTIAL in capital letters. To some people, quite a few people in the Linux world actually, spending money on commercial software is abhorrent. 

If that last things was true, there were not commercial software on linux at all, and there multiple big companies who do, like Autodesk and Jetbeans. 

15 minutes ago, SomeDev said:

how many of those users are possible customers

Er, you did not notice that I wrote the word POTENTIAL in capital letters? 

Anyway, enough of this thread. I won't comment any more. It is, like many Linux discussions, an endless story of 'what if' or 'if only'. If only Adobe ported CC to Linux they would gain more users AND THEN Linux would be seen as a useful platform and other companies would follow suit. If only Affinity did the same! If only... Well, here's the thing: there's even a wiki page for commercial software on Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proprietary_software_for_Linux). It's that short. And amongst that short list, they have the impertinence to include discontinued software. So even a short wiki page is in reality even shorter. 

Linux has its place. Server side it does well enough. On the desktop it is another story.

There were 11 million PC's sold in the USA during Q1 2020, so, that's 396K linux installs. Affinity needs 10,000 of them to buy software to break even. 
Again, that's only PC's sold this year, and only in the US, using your numbers.

By your logic, they shouldn't bother with OSX users either, because it's wasted money when you could just write windows software. Windows is the overwhelming majority of the market afterall, so, according to what you're saying, Affinity should discontinue support for OSX, because it's only 9.6% of the market. Totally not worth it.

Or, perhaps it's not the 80's anymore, your greybeard perspective is clouded at best, and there's a large enough market on any platform to make plenty of profit from, if you bother to build it.

Yesterday, tired of problems with Windows Updates (the last update destroy mi wifi connection) make a format and iǘe installed Linux. Iḿ not designer, iḿ developer then make a lot of sense work with linux and now my PC works very faster and fine, BUT i need run my affinity programas, i have the three programs... 
Anybody knows if is possible run it with wine?

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

And here it comes. It's always somebody else's fault with some people in the Linux so-called community. Mozilla does not owe Debian a browser any more than Affinity owes Debian some graphics programs.

I have heard these arguments forever. It's just a diversion from getting on and doing things.

Just.. wow. That's some bending down backwards logic just to be angry. Mozilla does actually legally owe Debian redistribution rights of their browser because it is a right explicitly granted in their Mozilla Public License. Mozilla owns the trademark "Firefox" and demanded Debian stopped using the trademark. So moving on is exactly what Debian did. Just change the name to stop the nagging from Mozilla's legal team. "Can they just do that?" Yes they can, because Mozilla released Firefox as open source. Apparently it rubbed you the wrong way 15 years ago and still does. Affinity is not open source, so it will not have that problem.

Eventually Mozilla realized that this situation hurt their brand awareness so they granted Debian the right to use the name "Firefox".

I understand now why "the Linux community" has not been as accommodating to your interpretation of events as you had hoped.

3 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Er, you did not notice that I wrote the word POTENTIAL in capital letters? 

Anyway, enough of this thread. I won't comment any more. It is, like many Linux discussions, an endless story of 'what if' or 'if only'. If only Adobe ported CC to Linux they would gain more users AND THEN Linux would be seen as a useful platform and other companies would follow suit. If only Affinity did the same! If only... Well, here's the thing: there's even a wiki page for commercial software on Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proprietary_software_for_Linux). It's that short. And amongst that short list, they have the impertinence to include discontinued software. So even a short wiki page is in reality even shorter. 

Linux has its place. Server side it does well enough. On the desktop it is another story.

I noticed? What's your point? Every market will be measured on potential until you tap it and get actual users. 

That list is actually outdated I can think of a couple of software that it is not there but it is in linux and you insist is little when there is most of the relevant VFX software, that is expensive and it is finding customers. As of why Adobe is not making a Linux port, it is Adobe, they don't go for new markets, they wait on others to do so and then brute force themselves into it. (Hence what it is happening with XD)

19 hours ago, SomeDev said:

I noticed? What's your point? Every market will be measured on potential until you tap it and get actual users. 

That list is actually outdated I can think of a couple of software that it is not there but it is in linux and you insist is little when there is most of the relevant VFX software, that is expensive and it is finding customers. As of why Adobe is not making a Linux port, it is Adobe, they don't go for new markets, they wait on others to do so and then brute force themselves into it. (Hence what it is happening with XD)

So, you came here to denigrate Linux for not being what you want it to be, from however many years ago you tried it. It wasn't for you, so you make sure to stop here to let us all know how TERRIBLE. AN. IDEA.  it is to use Linux and asking our wonderful Serif friends to count our voices, for something you don't even like. Then why are you even here? If it's to be an anti-Linux troll, there are far more appropriate forums for your angst.  We are a community here of artists and designers who are here to help each other to appreciate and learn ways to get the art out there with the use of Affinity products, not to condescend to others who disagree with our choices of personal software. This is a post to let Serif know we are here and eager for a solution for OUR problem, which clearly isn't yours.  You dislike Debian, don't use it, don't plan on using it but come to tell us all how we shouldn't either? Watch out, you're starting to sound a bit American ;)  Go make some beautiful art, then stare at it until you feel less salty :)

On 10/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, Pariah73 said:

So, you came here to denigrate Linux for not being what you want it to be, from however many years ago you tried it. It wasn't for you, so you make sure to stop here to let us all know how TERRIBLE. AN. IDEA.  it is to use Linux and asking our wonderful Serif friends to count our voices, for something you don't even like. Then why are you even here? If it's to be an anti-Linux troll, there are far more appropriate forums for your angst.  We are a community here of artists and designers who are here to help each other to appreciate and learn ways to get the art out there with the use of Affinity products, not to condescend to others who disagree with our choices of personal software. This is a post to let Serif know we are here and eager for a solution for OUR problem, which clearly isn't yours.  You dislike Debian, don't use it, don't plan on using it but come to tell us all how we shouldn't either? Watch out, you're starting to sound a bit American ;)  Go make some beautiful art, then stare at it until you feel less salty :)

I think you quoted the wrong person

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 2:11 PM, BenjiGameDev said:

I'm in.

I'm only using Windows because of apps like Affinity which are not available on Linux. I've been using Inkscape and GIMP for years though. 

I got my credit card ready when you're ready.

Same here. Using Linux for past 20 years and keeping Windows for great apps like Affinity's that are not on Linux. Also paid for IOS version and will be happy to pay again for Linux license.

My card is ready when you are...

Edited by panproteus

On 11/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, panproteus said:

Same here. Using Linux for past 20 years and keeping Windows for great apps like Affinity's that are not on Linux. Also paid for IOS version and will be happy to pay again for Linux license.

My card is ready when you are...

I'm a frontend developer/UX designer and have used windows, linux and mac looking for the best work experience when it comes to coding and design. I loved linux for how flexible it is but I had some issues when it came down to having to design. I'm currently using a mac cause it's the closest thing to what initially wanted though if affinity was available on linux I would definetly switch back.

Dear All,

I think that now more than ever developers which will offer Linux products will be very appreciated. 

After the latest news regarding the Spying system on Big Sur, etc. I do not see reason whereby large enterprises would not rather move to Linux. 

Not only that, with the new system Apple in the foreseeable future could make a DB with all the digital signatures and allow only some programs to be run. 

Apple could even force developers to pay their cut even though they do not use the App Store to distribute their product (30%).

How's that? You have the government taking up to 50% (even more in some countries) when you have a company, 30% goes to Apple, you basically have worked to feed other entities. 

Ubuntu to me looks mature enough, if just a few companies like the one behind Affinity would switch for me it would be the time I just install Linux everywhere. 

If we got Affinity products, something like Adobe XD and Davinci resolve I would have no reason to have a Mac. 

Given that some moves must be planned in advance because they take time to implement, I think this is the right time. 

You know, it's the same thing with AWS: at first companies fall in love with it because everything is ready to go and then, as the user base raises and they start to see some huge bills, they start thinking of how they can switch to something else to save money and start building their own cloud infrastructure.

Edited by Deviad

@Deviad, I have tried to avoid this kind of issues, so I moved to Linux. Even though it is free and open sourced, it might have integrated metering too. Can't tell what happens there, never got straight answers, but there are things integrated in the DE sometimes there too, so be careful. For instance, Gnome was delivered with Zeitgeist, years ago, on many distros. Sometimes not intended, they've just did not know delivering it. When trying to remove it, the issue was it would generally remove the DE entirely due to dependencies. KDE has KUserFeedback API, said to report data to Microsoft.

Look for a distro that would have this kind of apps removed by default. At least, there is an option.

A thing that baffles me is that big or medium corporations seem to accept that software they're using collects data. Aren't they afraid it is steeling their ideas, strategies and projects?

Also accepting the OS so often updating and restarting the systems when it considers it's an intrusion. I know companies blocked for hours due to this. Or rendered unusable because of keeping updating some drivers, because they think they know better.

On other hand, even if I don't care for what they might get, my computer would be taking CPU time just to process for them... Somtimes it even shortens the hardware life span just by scanning continuously when the user is not using it. I remember Windows scanning my drives all time, so I was wondering if some remote hacker had entered in my system and is looking for something...

So, even though big IT companies would like to keep me prisoner into their cloud or my own computer, I chose to have a fine tuned OS that I know for sure what it runs, and it does it for me only.

An interesting read: https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/.

Hello man,

buna ziua. 

Well, in the corporations where I worked they had a custom OS X kernel. But this is not something the public is going to benefit from including many SME.

However, for sure, this has a cost. 

Everyone would benefit if there were Linux versions of these products available. 

Edited by Deviad

Just discovered WinApps. This might be the closest, we get for the time being. It's still virtualization, of course – nothing new, but it's rather neat.

TL;DR: Clever guy running Microsoft Office in a container and then piping the graphics through RDP, neatly integrating them with a linux desktop. Nothing groundbreaking, but I would prefer it over VirtualBox Seamless Mode ;) I don't see, why this wouldn't work with Affinity, maybe even out of the boy or with rather little effort.

https://github.com/Fmstrat/winapps

https://fossbytes.com/winapps-microsoft-office/?fbclid=IwAR3sArolEDDLLfbuHX88KL5yf1DQmUiLVMPZzzPrDkWliH3RFO6FZc_rGco