You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

Not saying it's the best way, but I was running Ubunto Studio on a spare Intel dual core Pentium D 2ghz machine with 5gb ram for fun and I installed Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 with no problem or performance issues.

I'm sure Affinity would potentially run better given it seems less resource hungry. Dunno about any other VM's, but I guess anything is worth a try 

I mean it runs beautifully on Win10 on my primary pc, I'm sure if go to Ubuntu Studio fulltime, it will be wonderful. Ryzen7 2700 (3.2-4.1ghz), 16gb DDR5 ram, Radeon RX580/4GB DDR4 VRAM, 512GB WD Black nvme ssd, 1tb 7299 hdd.

What some other person mentioned is that "running" an app is not a problem.  I worked years ago at a company where we were all the time using VMs. I got used to install many OSes on VMWARE and VirtualBox. As a graphic artist, the issue was with real projects, so, heavy ones.  Meaning, many layers, projects for print in raster.  Think of something 20k x 20k pixels (something in that line) with heavy layer effects (and in Affinity, many of those are live, which is extremely convenient, but also taxes your computer a lot). Also, not sure if some GPU based features in graphic apps do work great through a VM, not sure.

Using dedicated hardware (ie, a video card for itself alone) and assign truck loads of RAM to it might come a long way, probably.  I did not do such, but anyway, seems less efficient than using native apps for an OS, in graphic production, I'm used to know I need every bit of hardware performance, as I will get the thing to its limits pretty often (meaning, I prefer native apps for linux and native apps for windows. For other than graphics works (or very light graphic works)... Yeah, VMs are quite fine, that's my POV, tho). 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, Elbowes said:

Thanks @mokry for compiling that list.

I'm a big Affinity fan, utilising Designer, Photo and Publisher extensively on Mac at work. 

Outside work, my go-to OS is Linux due to:

• Affordability: a new Mac, Surface or XPS laptop is way outside by budget.
  • Performance: an old Mac that barely runs MacOS can be given a whole new lease of life.
  • Sustainability: see above.
  • SaaS: propriety software is increasingly moving to the web browser.

I think the reason some of us have embraced Linux is similar to the reason some of us former Adobe CC users embraced Affinity. It's not that we are averse to paying for excellent software, it's just that it has to be affordable and fair. 

<snip>

I've given up on Linux for any kind of publishing work. Managed to get myself a newish Mac Mini on clearance. Linux is passable for many things, but this isn't one of them. 

Honestly when I have done with something, I don't want to return. That's how it is with Windows. I don’t want to use Windows in a VM just to be able to use any kind of software.

Yes, there is “GPU Passthrough” and “Looking Glass” to give you a bit of the "integration into the desktop environment" feeling. However, this is only fake and costs extra money (second graphics card, etc.) and efforts. As mentioned by @msdobrescu, “you leave Windows for a reason”. Exactly for this reason, I don't want to use Windows again. No matter by which methods. (I am not talking about Mac / IOS, because I absolutely despise Apple products).

And if after years - this post has been alive for 3 years already - and countless posts later, the developers still don't think that software on Linux could possibly make money, then I'm really sorry.

In that case, the only option for me, as a consumer, is to go without the Affinity software. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer, but as a customer they will lose me for upcoming Affinity products or upgrades. At some point this should also be financially noticeable for them.

By the way, I find the idea of @Framelynx with a Steam+Proton version or the CodeWeavers port interesting. Only as a temporary solution, until a native version is available, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ...

It feels a bit like the discussion about Star Citizen and Chris Roberts. The thoughts and a comment from one of the developers, about the current state, would be great. After three years of discussion!

Hello, I have bought licence for Designer and Photo. Unfortunately win versions. Which also forced me to buy a Windows Pro USB Retail version as well.

I am developer, sw architect and web designer. The only reason why I am paying for windows licence is graphic software. So constant switching from linux to windows is pretty painfull.

Previously it was the Office/libre incosistency, but now I am using google docs/sheets suite. 

It would be really really nice to have linux version so I can have all my tools (development/graphic) on same machine / OS.

I was tired to read all 52 pages, but I came here to give 1+ for linux

Edited by Tihomir

I know people have been put off by Gimps old fashion interface but PhotoGIMP might change that opinion. The thing is we do have stable and powerful creative software for Linux it's just they don't have wow factor interface that the likes of Affinity and Adobe offer. Maybe rather than waiting and begging these companies to offer a Linux version we should be focusing on and investing in helping the software that is available to up their game on the interface design and show Affinity and Adobe the missed market opportunity they could have had. I own the Affinity suite for the PC and the Mac but if the likes of Inkscape and the others improve their interface experience I will automatically dump the Affinity suite like I did with Adobe and move to them. I agree with Snapseed, Gravit looks quite promising I will have to investigate that one.

Yes, it seems that we should go our "own" way. Really a very wise and constructive suggestion.

We should bite the bullet and actively support the applications that already exist natively for Linux.
Maybe then we could really make the Linux software visually appealing and user-friendly. Then we would have all the creative tools at our fingertips with GIMP, InkScape and Scribus.

PS: Thanks again to @Snapseed. I didn't know Pixeluvo and Gravit until now ...

1 hour ago, MisterBooth said:

I know people have been put off by Gimps old fashion interface but PhotoGIMP might change that opinion. The thing is we do have stable and powerful creative software for Linux it's just they don't have wow factor interface that the likes of Affinity and Adobe offer. Maybe rather than waiting and begging these companies to offer a Linux version we should be focusing on and investing in helping the software that is available to up their game on the interface design and show Affinity and Adobe the missed market opportunity they could have had. I own the Affinity suite for the PC and the Mac but if the likes of Inkscape and the others improve their interface experience I will automatically dump the Affinity suite like I did with Adobe and move to them. I agree with Snapseed, Gravit looks quite promising I will have to investigate that one.

^ Now that is an excellent, constructive suggestion and developer Diolinux has produced that PhotoGIMP patch for Gimp so that the tool organisation, shortcuts, etc resemble those of Photoshop so smoothing the transition to Gimp (please see github.com/Diolinux/PhotoGIMP ).

PhotoGimp.jpg

2 hours ago, tyniffa said:

Honestly when I have done with something, I don't want to return. That's how it is with Windows. I don’t want to use Windows in a VM just to be able to use any kind of software.

Yes, there is “GPU Passthrough” and “Looking Glass” to give you a bit of the "integration into the desktop environment" feeling. However, this is only fake and costs extra money (second graphics card, etc.) and efforts. As mentioned by @msdobrescu, “you leave Windows for a reason”. Exactly for this reason, I don't want to use Windows again. No matter by which methods. (I am not talking about Mac / IOS, because I absolutely despise Apple products).

And if after years - this post has been alive for 3 years already - and countless posts later, the developers still don't think that software on Linux could possibly make money, then I'm really sorry.

In that case, the only option for me, as a consumer, is to go without the Affinity software. I know, one swallow doesn't make a summer, but as a customer they will lose me for upcoming Affinity products or upgrades. At some point this should also be financially noticeable for them.

By the way, I find the idea of @Framelynx with a Steam+Proton version or the CodeWeavers port interesting. Only as a temporary solution, until a native version is available, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ...

It feels a bit like the discussion about Star Citizen and Chris Roberts. The thoughts and a comment from one of the developers, about the current state, would be great. After three years of discussion!

1 hour ago, tyniffa said:

Yes, it seems that we should go our "own" way. Really a very wise and constructive suggestion.

We should bite the bullet and actively support the applications that already exist natively for Linux.
Maybe then we could really make the Linux software visually appealing and user-friendly. Then we would have all the creative tools at our fingertips with GIMP, InkScape and Scribus.

PS: Thanks again to @Snapseed. I didn't know Pixeluvo and Gravit until now ...

I'm afraid that Affinity staff have made it abundantly clear that they won't be porting their rather good softwares over to Linux because it's not viable given the small desktop Linux market share. Personally, I think it's pointless to keep on asking them that same question which will get exactly the same "Not going to happen" response. I think it is more realistic to politely ask them to consider looking at making their products more compatible with CrossOver/Wine at some future time.

As for Pixeluvo, I really like that capable software and it's more of Photoshop Elements equivalent. If it's not enough, then PhotoLine, Photoshop or Paintshop Pro with Wine or Photopea online are better there. I also liked the native Linux PencilSheep but that's no longer being maintained by the developer concerned although it's still available as an Ubuntu Snap last time I checked.

If it's only relatively simple edits, then I can go to either Nomacs or Photoflare and more free and open source image processing tools and advice can be found at pixls(dot)us.

Finally, I appreciate that not everyone can get on with Scribus but there are native Linux alternatives available in the form of VivaDesigner or PageStream. Therefore, I think that there are already valid and viable alternatives for Linux users that don't require either dual booting or using a virtual machine.

2 hours ago, MisterBooth said:

2 hours ago, tyniffa said:

Then we would have all the creative tools at our fingertips with GIMP, InkScape and Scribus.

I don't use those not because they look obsolete or they are not fancy looking, but they really miss functionality. I have requested features to them, never taken in years by any devs there, they look really busy due to the heavy request from their users to become more usable and implement productive features. They are literally buried in work to do and sometimes refuse good features due to that. They are also in their vicious circle, so it's hard to see the light. I think it's good to try investing money into them, but should it be on a clear direction and steadily. Once or few times is not enough.

Also we have got to realize/remember that a lot of new/newish software is now moving to online subscriptions like Photopea and this is and going to be the future if we like it or not. Even in the gaming industry with game streaming services, all the hard work will be done on their servers and you will only need a light weight computer to play, no need for expensive graphic cards just a decent fiber connection. So it's inevitable that there will be an array of new software we can pick and choose from that doesn't need installing which in turn allows us to use the OS of our choice e.g Linux. Goodbye BigMac and Windose. Personally I prefer installed software but then I'm just old fashion maybe I should just embrace the future. Also there are more desktop apps being built in Electron which are cross-platform like my most used apps Visual Studio Code and Figma and they have been solid.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Snapseed said:

Gravit and Inkscape are your friends there.

Indeed, for drawing and painting, Krita is quite a better friend (unless being technical drawing, or heavily vector based). For graphic design, those other two, yep.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:16 PM, Snapseed said:

I'm afraid that Affinity staff have made it abundantly clear that they won't be porting their rather good softwares over to Linux because it's not viable given the small desktop Linux market share. Personally, I think it's pointless to keep on asking them that same question which will get exactly the same "Not going to happen" response.

The last answer I've read did seem to point out that they were not saying "never", but IF it would happen, it would be a 2.x version, not before that (if my understanding of English language did not fail me... again). That recent post is something people seem to not be considering, in latest comments. To be honest, I am not sure about what does that mean in reality (but definitely did not sound as "never"). So, yep, I'd strongly recommend to figure out a workflow with the existing Linux apps. My advice would go further: Maybe keep an eye on Windows apps being ported to Linux, be them Affinity 2.x, or any other. But in the meantime, build a solid workflow with what exists already (is a motto any pro should have, imo...). I was able to work for web and print (covering all the needs of a company) in a quite intense environment for many years, and had to do all sort of tricks, but it is kindda doable (always that your projects don't need certain requirements that not even workarounds would cover). And now the situation is a bazillion times better with all those apps than it was then . For instance, Krita supports CMYK (somehow), and Gimp is going to, soon. The interface is... THE SMALLEST problem. So I deduce a lot of people have not found the real issues with those apps, actually. They just got bounced back by the UI, it's like the 95% of what I use to hear as a complaint. But besides I firmly believe one must not get defeated by an UI,  it is that I was in dire need (the company was very Linux focused, did not want to buy Windows software) so, I had to dig.  So, one needs to get into the "I have to dig" mindset, with these apps. My effort with Blender has paid way too many times that effort. That's another thing those apps need: people working in the field, getting to use that, and explaining the tricks and workflows, (so to bring more graphic pros to the platform) or explaining how people from Adobe CC can adapt, showing real life projects workflows, not the usual super basic things (this is a huge issue in Linux graphic apps videos, specially in 2D /Design. Not in 3D). Me, am not gonna do that (lack of time and motivation), and also, I'm very comfy with Windows. That said, if Linux had the same software  available than Windows, I'd totally move to Linux. But that's not gonna happen any time soon. Indeed, if graphics weren't my main duty, or I'd be working at a company doing something else (or graphics), then I guess I'd have a multi-boot (again), but mainly using Linux. What I mean is that for non-industry-standards projects, or, for light freelancing (better said : side hustle, not main income, does not have to be "light") for which you can pick your projects and discard those for which the linux graphic apps are not enough,  you totally don't need Windows apps, for that activity.  I perfectly know I wouldn't need them. And the problems are mostly with print workflows, as for web graphics, game art, anything screen based, gimp, krita, blender, inskcape and scribus (I know there are others, but some of the others are little more than toys, sorry...) do pretty much cover all the usual graphic needs (sometimes with tricks). 

On 9/15/2020 at 4:51 PM, MisterBooth said:

Also we have got to realize/remember that a lot of new/newish software is now moving to online subscriptions like Photopea and this is and going to be the future if we like it or not. 

I'm quite not sure about that.

all the hard work will be done on their servers and you will only need a light weight computer to play, no need for expensive graphic cards just a decent fiber connection.

Games are a very different workflow to, say, editing a 1GB image of many raster layers at high dpi, many effects,etc. Imagine editing a RAW with many live layer effects, already an issue with a native app... This is a similar issue than what we were speaking about some posts above with virtual machines, tho this is even worse. And the renting per se, I'm telling you, there is enough critical mass of people against that (I can imagine that a big percentage of Affinity customers are in this line of thought). Yes, Adobe has been able to get away with a large portion of their users (I'm sure loosing quite a bunch, too), but because they have the market monopoly. In every case when one does not need Adobe (IE, I definitely don't, and I do pretty serious stuff) , absolutely not, there are tons of very good non renting options, there were at least two good suites (besides open source) before Affinity arrived.

I'd like to see a future when I can just buy a mouse, keyboard, monitor and a wacom, and connect that to some server, as all the hardware will be in such server, for doing graphics (for other things, yeah, why not). Any instance of that which I have seen or tried has been so, so far of what is needed in real professional activity, that I don't expect that to happen in quite some years.

@SrPx I agree with what you have said and yes gaming is different to productive software, but for example, my internet connection has recently been updated to fiber to the premises which means I have fiber straight into my house so I get 900mb/sec upload and 1gb/sec download speeds and I know I'm in a minority at the moment but this is being rolled out across the country so eventually dealing with large files is not going to be such an issue. This is why I think online apps will become the normality for most in the future.

I know GIMP is not the prettiest UI going and it takes a little longer to get your head around but like Blender who not so long ago simplified and reduced the noise of their UI due to the users demands, I think that the likes of GIMP could really increase their popularity by spending some time doing the similar thing to their UI. People are a sucker for a nice looking intuitive UI and I'm one of those mainly because part of my job involves UI and UX.

2 hours ago, MisterBooth said:

my internet connection has recently been updated to fiber to the premises which means I have fiber straight into my house so I get 900mb/sec upload and 1gb/sec download speeds and I know I'm in a minority at the moment but this is being rolled out across the country so eventually dealing with large files is not going to be such an issue.

I have a gigabit up/down (1000/1000 mbit) fiber in my house too for the last 5 years now. This really changes the way you see "internet". My friends and colleagues who have gigabit fiber too; offices of customers, it's like they are all internal storage devices. The bottleneck is no longer our connections; it's the servers of external services. 

50 kilometers south of me they have started offering a 10 gigabit up/down connection. I wouldn't know what to do with this, because even my RAID cluster I use for work (video) writes about 230 MByte/second as an absolute maximum. That's not even 2 gigabit. But keep in mind that this cluster can be considered old; new drives or even SSD are becoming heaps faster. For example, if you shop for an NVMe M.2 drive, you see al these new PCIe 4.0 drives that are so fast that they come with coolers. PCIe 4.0 SSDs are designed for  5000 MByte/s (read) and 4400 MByte/s (write), significantly faster than PCIe 3.0.

But imagine this. IIRC my 2014 DDR4 memory has a speed of 8 Gigabit. So that 10Gbit fiber would be faster than my computer memory. Making @SrPx's dream a reality. Of course, then came DDR5 memory with 50 Gbit/s and they are working on GDDR6 with 768Gbit, but it's not like my 2014 computer feels slow.

I know western countries like Germany or certain states in the U.S. have many places with old technologies where people dream of getting even 200 mbit/s on their internet connection as if it's a fantasy straight from Star Wars, but that's because everyone already pays good money to keep the old system up and no one is interested in investing in a new technology because of it. But you already see that eastern countries like Romania has places where they skip the old technology that they never had and went straight to fiber. The west is slowly catching up, but 5 years ago, a third of the world top 15 cities with the fastest average broadband speed were Romanian.

This is called dialectics of lead. If once you(r county) was/were the first, now you're probably last in line. But the transition to 1000/1000 Mbit or even 10/10 Gigabit is happening now. Or actually started 10 years ago. Internet speed really is a fading argument. Some places in former head start countries like the Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain, France, Sweden and Ireland were lucky to get it as early as 2012 because they made the biggest radio telescope emulator in the world (LOFAR) and needed a fiber infrastructure for that. Now it's the other way around: Because countries like Poland and Latvia make a fiber network, they also add LOFAR stations to extend the telescope because they might as well.

But even people that have 20/20 (cable D2) or 500/50 (cable D3) or similar using the 1940's network of coax cable, they can look forward to some major new developments once their (hopefully not) monopolist overlords decide to invest in some new DOCSIS equipment. D3.1 (being rolled out now) can go up to 10000/1000 mbit, and D4 to 10000/6000, rivaling current fiber speeds. If you have cable internet, technically you're good (pending overlord investments).

People limited to using the 1890's cupper phone line network are really starting to see the limitations of their network. Their providers can decide to upgrade the equipment to VDSL2 17a for a maximum speed of 100/100 mbit for the luckiest ones living close to the phone station. And in the future, when really stretching it, they think they can do VDSL2 35b 400/400 mbit. But that's really the end of it, and every meter you live further down the line, you'll lose speed. If you have cupper internet as your only option, technically you're on a dead end street. Write to your representative and tell them your town needs fiber before it's too late and everyone else's "cars" can "drive 700 Mph" except the ones from your town.

I have deviated from the topic somewhat but I hope this was an interesting read.

18 hours ago, SrPx said:

The last answer I've read did seem to point out that they were not saying "never", but IF it would happen, it would be a 2.x version, not before that (if my understanding of English language did not fail me... again). That recent post is something people seem to not be considering, in latest comments. To be honest, I am not sure about what does that mean in reality (but definitely did not sound as "never"). So, yep, I'd strongly recommend to figure out a workflow with the existing Linux apps. My advice would go further: Maybe keep an eye on Windows apps being ported to Linux, be them Affinity 2.x, or any other. But in the meantime, build a solid workflow with what exists already (is a motto any pro should have, imo...). I was able to work for web and print (covering all the needs of a company) in a quite intense environment for many years, and had to do all sort of tricks, but it is kindda doable (always that your projects don't need certain requirements that not even workarounds would cover). And now the situation is a bazillion times better with all those apps than it was then . For instance, Krita supports CMYK (somehow), and Gimp is going to, soon. The interface is... THE SMALLEST problem. So I deduce a lot of people have not found the real issues with those apps, actually. They just got bounced back by the UI, it's like the 95% of what I use to hear as a complaint. But besides I firmly believe one must not get defeated by an UI,  it is that I was in dire need (the company was very Linux focused, did not want to buy Windows software) so, I had to dig.  So, one needs to get into the "I have to dig" mindset, with these apps. My effort with Blender has paid way too many times that effort. That's another thing those apps need: people working in the field, getting to use that, and explaining the tricks and workflows, (so to bring more graphic pros to the platform) or explaining how people from Adobe CC can adapt, showing real life projects workflows, not the usual super basic things (this is a huge issue in Linux graphic apps videos, specially in 2D /Design. Not in 3D). Me, am not gonna do that (lack of time and motivation), and also, I'm very comfy with Windows. That said, if Linux had the same software  available than Windows, I'd totally move to Linux. But that's not gonna happen any time soon. Indeed, if graphics weren't my main duty, or I'd be working at a company doing something else (or graphics), then I guess I'd have a multi-boot (again), but mainly using Linux. What I mean is that for non-industry-standards projects, or, for light freelancing (better said : side hustle, not main income, does not have to be "light") for which you can pick your projects and discard those for which the linux graphic apps are not enough,  you totally don't need Windows apps, for that activity.  I perfectly know I wouldn't need them. And the problems are mostly with print workflows, as for web graphics, game art, anything screen based, gimp, krita, blender, inskcape and scribus (I know there are others, but some of the others are little more than toys, sorry...) do pretty much cover all the usual graphic needs (sometimes with tricks). 

I fully agree with your comment. While it would be really nice to have the very good Serif Affinity range of products (I recommend them to Windows and macOS users) available on the Linux platform, those of use who use Linux only don't actually need them because of the existing range of native Linux and Wine-friendly softwares that are already available to use right now.

Here's just one example. I didn't need Adobe Photoshop or Affinity Photo to convert an indecipherable 19th century tintype photo into a recognisable image (it was done in a couple of minutes with native Linux Pixeluvo).

IMG_20180307_0001.jpg

IMG_20180307_pxu.jpg

In my entire country (and we're called first world), a lot of people is on 30/30 MB, "fiber", and some even yet DSL (well, lots of rural areas. Some don't even have any form of inet). Some people are just sharing the phone connection, for remote work! Others are in 100/100Mbits (I am...and even remote desktop tools of every brand to help friends and family is a royal pain with the ping). And certain number on 300/300 or so (with the several crisis, people downgrade their contracts, anyway, or just rely on the phone, to save bucks). But IMO is a minority. And yep, it's using phone cable to reach our homes, in most cases I know (EDIT: nope, it's not. Sorry, got confused for a moment). I'm telling you, this in a first world country.

I keep being unable to see how (even with great ping...it's still traveling from earth to the satellite and back, let alone whatever other issues escaping your control, etc. It seems technology would make local I/O between CPU and RAM faster than that) the computer BUS, the connections between the CPU and RAM, at the current RAM speed (I'm thinking mostly in constant I/O, not in the case of sending a large file once and be done. IE, not like sending a file to render in video editing, or making a 3D render. But for raw editing very heavy files in tools similar to Photoshop or AP) and its connections with the GPU would be slower. How that wouldn't be much faster than, whichever your ping is, in constant I/O operations (I mean, internally in the 2D application, not solely when you save or render a file) that happen while doing anything 2D or 3D?. This is not like in games when most of the communication is small bytes of position or the like, after all, game content is pre-loaded in certain moments (start of a level, etc), and that stuff passed to a local temp file, even with some cloud based ones. When not just very locally installed, somehow. This internal I/O is quite constant in how graphic production apps work internally, or that I'm told. Like with Linux graphic software, I'd like to see it happen, but I'm an eternal pragmatist. 'Could be' is not "already", and by experience, due to the many factors, things change a lot compared to what one expected...  I prefer to  think of and rely on what works now...

Also... not sure I want that to happen. Besides you do loose a lot of control on how that server machine is configured, versus having your hardware locally, I see that, yes, for cross platform usage it is great, but then if no local option is made ever more (or not pushed as much, which is the same than eliminating it given just a little time), we're completely at the companies (mostly the dominant top dogs) disposal to pay whatever the renting and whichever the price (and accept whatever the conditions) increases over time. I'm telling you, if that arrives, I'm ready to go back to my oils and watercolors. Heck yeah...

@Snapseed: Excellent photo, I love old photos my friend turns them into artworks. It just shows you the how some of these new alternative photo apps are progressing.

@SrPx: First world, third world there's only one world in my opinion. I'm glad you hate labels as much as me. I totally agree but we all joined this capitalist's conveyor belt at birth and if there is money to be made in a certain direction then that's the path the software companies will take. If it gets to a stage where it's too much I think I would just revert to my old locally installed software which for me at the moment suits my purpose.

Oils and watercolours don't blame you :)

2 hours ago, Snapseed said:

While it would be really nice to have the very good Serif Affinity range of products (I recommend them to Windows and macOS users) available on the Linux platform, those of use who use Linux only don't actually need them because of the existing range of native Linux and Wine-friendly softwares that are already available to use right now.

Do you know some tool working on Linux that offers a feature close to the Photoshop's boundary warp tool for panoramas? Who knows one?

On 9/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, SrPx said:

The interface is... THE SMALLEST problem. So I deduce a lot of people have not found the real issues with those apps, actually. They just got bounced back by the UI, it's like the 95% of what I use to hear as a complaint. But besides I firmly believe one must not get defeated by an UI,  it is that I was in dire need

I think that the user interface can make or break a product. If the UI is not user-friendly it can become a significant problem.