You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

Really hope Serif get the signs of market changes and of course growing linux desktop segment.

Love my lunux environment more I loved my Mac before. What really is missing are good design tools. 

I think the big winner is adobe or Serif, depending who is first bring in a native linux version

• Staff

@Nick Labo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

19 hours ago, gnx said:

How is the Affinity team feeling about this ever-growing interest for Affinity products for Linux?

It is of course very flattering, and it is clear there would be interest from Linux users. We are currently still focusing all our efforts on the existing supported OS's and also expanding the suite so that Publisher can work on the iPad.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Nick Labo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It is of course very flattering, and it is clear there would be interest from Linux users. We are currently still focusing all our efforts on the existing supported OS's and also expanding the suite so that Publisher can work on the iPad.

Sounds very reasonable. As a developer, I can fully understand that.

Judging by the Affinity Photo architecture, how difficult would it be to port it to Linux? Is there any part of your system that seems especially time-consuming to port?

• Staff
7 minutes ago, gnx said:

Is there any part of your system that seems especially time-consuming to port?

Having no experience of programming for Linux I cannot say, but OS differences are a significant part of the code, leading to OS specific bugs and lots of extra testing for QA (which is my area)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 9/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Having no experience of programming for Linux I cannot say, but OS differences are a significant part of the code, leading to OS specific bugs and lots of extra testing for QA (which is my area)

So Patrick Connor.. Do you have any knowledge of Linux? And can you please answer me why you guys still are sleeping at the wheel? What would it take for you guys to get started on a linux version?

17 hours ago, MeatRadiator said:

So Patrick Connor.. Do you have any knowledge of Linux? And can you please answer me why you guys still are sleeping at the wheel? What would it take for you guys to get started on a linux version?

They are not sleeping at the wheel, they have made a choice. They do not owe the Linux community anything, nor any other OS community. 

13 hours ago, Metsys said:

Whatever they're plans were, I'm sure all of that was delayed due to Apple Silicon coming out soon.

Not sure how much a delay this will cause as they already have Designer and Photo out for the iPad which is running Apple's own CPU. What I gathered from the last event this move to Apple's own chips should make things easier for developers to bring their mobile apps to the desktop and vice versa. 

• Staff
On 9/8/2020 at 11:44 PM, MeatRadiator said:

So Patrick Connor.. Do you have any knowledge of Linux?

No

And can you please answer me why you guys still are sleeping at the wheel? 

They are not, we are on a different road wide awake.

What would it take for you guys to get started on a linux version?

That has been asked and answered by other staff here, I have no contribution to make to that. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

nah more like

INTRO2.jpg

however that gif is strangely mesmerising...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

:D

First of all, I think you guys made great job & thank you for the decision to create an amazing suite! God bless you!

I am watching my partners every single day, while they are working on windows and osx (on osx with their own machines, because the company doesn't pay for apple products), they are very happy with Designer and Photo (but not with the OS, specially the windows workers, which are the 90% of the company, they wish to move on OSX but they can't pay for it). I am using gnu/linux in office, home, all my life actually (i love it), I just want to have the same fun as they have.. on linux.. please.. i will pay even more than win/osx, 100% positive about that.

In early days (like everybody did) I've used win and osx but I can't go back, I just can't anymore deal with the bugs, those updates (those updates man). GNU/Linux is awesome and easy to work with and stable (now i am using arch). It's not about being happy using it, it's more about how an OS should be in first place! I believe Serif should start with 1 or 2 devs to port it (speaking for baby steps here). If you do it, Steve Jobs (if was alive) & Bill Gates will be happy and proud for you, you know why? Because then (guess what) you are changing the world! Like they did. If you look closely, the did it in a new environment!

Awesome Serif, thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.

One more thing, the users on windows and osx are having so many choices to work with professional design software (just too many). On Linux, will be only Affinity! The whole pie for you, what? in 2020 or 2021? Only you guys! Imagine! And all those people that can't pay for osx, will be your customers, I am 100% sure.

Just dot it! Please!

Best to all of you!

2 minutes ago, Nick Labo said:

Take a look at those guys, they support also linux, great! Just perfect! https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Once more, have a nice weekend!

linux.png

I'm using DaVinci Resolve on Linux and it worked so perfect. Better performance and on mac or windows btw and much better for grading as Adobe premiere

3 minutes ago, Nick Labo said:

Hi Jorgen, isn't it great? To have the freedom of choice?

choice.png

Exactly. I'm developer in job and designer at home. Love to choose the best. Ad developer I'm mainly programming cross platform with c++ (Qt) and it worked like a charm. It's not hard to create performant and good tools for cross platform. Only drawback is the increase in testing effort...

Let's speak the truth, just the truth, here we go,

there are so many unhappy web developers and web designers in companies that they wish to work on Unix (up to this moment they work on windows). Most of the companies can't afford to pay Apple every 3 -4 years (that's why Microsoft holds the biggest share). But the workers/web/developers/designers are not happy (while they are doing the job of their dreams AND are NOT happy). I have seen this so many times, we spoke about it in the breaks (so many times).

I am very happy working on Linux (it's so normal, it just makes sense, networking, administration, sublime editor, javascript, nodejs/npm php, mysql and CLI.. that CLI is just the best) but not so excited for Inkscape & Gimp (thank god my boss has no problem to let me do my job on Inkscape/Gimp, but this is only my boss, an exception).

Then, at the company, the web developers/designers are asking for linux (they did it a lot of times and there was no problem to move on it) because it makes sense to work on a physical environment.. and bam.. no professional design tools. Not everybody is able to sacrifice, but I do.

Ahhh.. I mean.. (hands on my face now).. mess.

The companies will pay, all of them! Then the web developers & web designers will be extremely happy with GNU/Linux & Affinity! Everybody wins. After? In the breaks we will be able to exchange creative ideas while eating, share same files, with a big smile in our faces and we can thank Affinity for it! No more the heads down and complaining :) So simple.

Please Affinity, fill the gap!

On 9/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Do true. But luckily the world changes slowly but in a productive direction. We have still lot if windows desktop stations, but the main ci cd issues on Linux and works perfect. More and more colleges move to Linux admin main os too. They love it, how easy programming becomes with all the tools and workflows.

I also do a lot of SPA based on angular and express (typescript) and thanks too visual studio code, I can do this all on Linux as well 😍

Still missing my creative tools. So Serif can really get the jackpot to be the first on market

43 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Do true. But luckily the world changes slowly but in a productive direction. We have still lot if windows desktop stations, but the main ci cd issues on Linux and works perfect. More and more colleges move to Linux admin main os too. They love it, how easy programming becomes with all the tools and workflows.

I also do a lot of SPA based on angular and express (typescript) and thanks too visual studio code, I can do this all on Linux as well 😍

Still missing my creative tools. So Serif can really get the jackpot to be the first on market

Yes, I mean when I saw Affinity first time was a WOW moment, then I've start praying for the linux version, I've became religious again :D
Affinity seriously now, please just do it! All companies will pay, I will pay, everybody will pay, because we love the best design tools on the best OS.