You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

I've been a long time mac fan, but honestly I'm really starting to hate their philosophy. I already have some of the Affinity Products, and I'm writing this post on a linux computer. I'm sure other people feel how I do, and the only reason why they don't migrate to linux is because they can't access their most used design software. I know that is my case. I was forced onto a windows computer, but would gladly migrate to linux if affinity was there. I'm sure most of the people that opt for Affinity Products, are users who aren't happy with how Adobe does things, which I believe aligns with the same reason why someone would migrate to linux.  Things to note.

Truth. Software support determines the OS, not the other way around.

Use WINE on Linux. I got the CS6 Adobe Master Suite to work to work on it just fine with no noticable slow down. Affinity would likely work also.

The thought here is not wanting to invest support thinking no one will buy... and yet  we have access to anything we want, can hack anything we want, but still chose to buy the Affinity software because it's the right thing to do. I don't understand it. Krita is free, but people still buy paid version... so there is money to be made... not supporting linux basically either guarantees no sales vs some sales and if I jump into Linux fulltime when Windows pisses me off enough, I'll just run it in WINE. 

I'm about to quit using Macs, because they became so expensive I can't afford buying one anymore. In Brazil, take the Mac price and times 2 at least. That's what they cost here.

If I have no choice, I'll move to windows. But if you guys make Linux's versions, I'll buy them gladly. I already have MacOS' and Window's licenses for all three. 

Please, think about it. Thanks.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, Dave.Kelly said:

I miss my Amiga.

Same here 😀

Amigas were so ahead of its time!

I loved the first DTP I ever used - Page Stream.

Later I've bought quite cheap Atari ST with a colour monitor and moved to Calamus, which was stunning at the time, with a quite similar concept to Affinity Studio Link btw...
It was slower and way worse than Amiga, but way cheaper and did its job, Calamus was also available, but only in TOS emulation.

Oh, sweet memories.

Maybe it's the music, maybe I'm from that time, I don't know. I didn't have Amiga. But I recognize something: that is a software from the times when it did the job, was an honest tool optimized to run as fast as possible, in the least amount of memory, without fancy UI, but without bloatware too. A time when I've trusted it does what I need and nothing else. Where are those times?

On 6/17/2020 at 7:06 AM, spidershu said:

In all seriousness, though. Can you open a Kickstarter for a Linux version, and actually see how many people would back it up? (...)

I absolutely agree with spidershu - You should launch a kickstarter campaign for a Linux version .

So many Linux users are missing a creative suite. The Ubuntu (a linux distribution) community alone is so vast and I have seen many people who would be interested!

A creative suite for Linux would open the operating system to the designer crowd and be a massive gain to the community! I had to switch back to windows in order to get my creative work done 😍

I think looking at the raw market share might be misleading.

The percentage of wide variety of developers is a lot higher on Linux than on Windows. I know a lot of web developers who use Linux and would throw their money at you for sure.

Also, if you are worrying about Linux users not wanting to pay for software, JetBrains seems to be doing awesome. As far as I know every piece of their software runs on Linux also.

5 hours ago, gnx said:

I think looking at the raw market share might be misleading.

The percentage of wide variety of developers is a lot higher on Linux than on Windows. I know a lot of web developers who use Linux and would throw their money at you for sure.

Also, if you are worrying about Linux users not wanting to pay for software, JetBrains seems to be doing awesome. As far as I know every piece of their software runs on Linux also.

I've been trying Linux (Ubuntu) and really miss applications like Affinity's, to work professionally. GIMP helps, InkSape helps, Scribus helps but they are far from ideal, lack integration Affinity offers. 
As I said, soon I'll have to quit using mac and really don't want to use Windows. I'll go to linux and if I don't have affinity there I'll do my best with these above.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:05 PM, JW66 said:

It's frankly lazy saying that "Well there's no point supporting Linux because it doesn't have a big enough usage".
It's the main reason why Linux has a smaller marketshare lack of support.

Why would any business want to make go into development, marketing, support, amongst other things for a very small market? It is not Serifs job to make Linux grow to a point where it would be worthwhile for them. Linux may have a smaller marketshare because not everyone shares the almost rabid loyalty many Linux users have towards their OS of choice.

This whole thread is filled with posts from die hard Linux users who want it without understanding the reality of business. It is not as simple as make a kick starter campaign, these campaigns do not solve everything. Linux is a small market that is a bit fragmented with various distros. Of that small market is an even smaller market of people who would use graphical programs. Serif is not Adobe or any other company of that size that has the money and resources to start a product on a new OS with cash to burn if necessary. 

There are many issues and features missing from Affinity at the moment, features that keep it from being an Adobe competitor. I would rather they focus on improving the product to bring it to a place where professionals could actually look at it as a replacement for Adobe CC. 

@wonderings(Advanced Member)

Isn't it bizarre that a thread talking about Affinity for Linux is filled with posts from die hard Linux users and some, like me, who would like to move to Linux. It's also a very bold statement saying that everyone on this thread have no understanding of the realities of business. You are right kick starters aren't always successful but why shouldn't a so called minority have the right to voice their wishes and hopes? 

It is already an Adobe competitor, i'm a professional and I know numerous other companies who have fully transitioned to Affinity from Adobe especially now that publisher can open and edit .idml files. I have paid for the full suite on the Mac OS and on Windows and I would be more than happy to pay again for a version on Linux and when that time comes I will moving permanently to Linux as my primary OS.

Also why are you even on this thread? Are you bored??

Regards (newbie)

42 minutes ago, MisterBooth said:

@wonderings(Advanced Member)

Isn't it bizarre that a thread talking about Affinity for Linux is filled with posts from die hard Linux users and some, like me, who would like to move to Linux. It's also a very bold statement saying that everyone on this thread have no understanding of the realities of business. You are right kick starters aren't always successful but why shouldn't a so called minority have the right to voice their wishes and hopes? 

It is already an Adobe competitor, i'm a professional and I know numerous other companies who have fully transitioned to Affinity from Adobe especially now that publisher can open and edit .idml files. I have paid for the full suite on the Mac OS and on Windows and I would be more than happy to pay again for a version on Linux and when that time comes I will moving permanently to Linux as my primary OS.

Also why are you even on this thread? Are you bored??

Regards (newbie)

If you only want people who agree with your opinions maybe a forum is not for you. I am offering an opposing viewpoint, sorry you disagree with me.

With the number of likes and agreements on getting a kick starter campaign going, or people who say things like if everyone who posted in this thread bought a copy it would equal XXX dollars. 

For some specific people Affinity may be an option, I would say for most it is not one... yet. Numerous reasons that have been detailed on this forum. I think many will be dealt with in V2 of the apps.

opening and editing idml files sounds like a headache as no idml file is going to open  up 100% correct and will thus need the time to check over files, fix issues and double check all content. If you want to put in the time that is fine. Not something I would be interested in nor would many others as you are now spending more time searching and correcting mistakes on jobs that were correct in Indesign. 

Out of curiosity, what type of work are you in and what were you using Adobe CC for?

Also the "Advanced member" is simply a tag that comes with the number of posts. I am not an advanced Affinity user. I try to keep up on Affinity (I own all 3 apps)  as I would like a viable Adobe alternative in the future. 

@wonderings, I agree, Affinity's job is not growing Linux. I'd say there is a small graphics and design and publishing market share on Linux. But this is due to the lack of tools and it's not Linux's job to provide them either. But this is one field Linux has a small covering. I would not say Linux users don't understand business. They need this from their business perspective.

1 minute ago, msdobrescu said:

@wonderings, I agree, Affinity's job is not growing Linux. I'd say there is a small graphics and design and publishing market share on Linux. But this is due to the lack of tools and it's not Linux's job to provide them either. But this is one field Linux has a small covering. I would not say Linux users don't understand business. They need this from their business perspective.

I would say it is Linux job to grow the OS. Though not sure what sort of structure there is as it is not a traditional OS being all open. If this were Apple they would need to create incentives for developers to develop for their product if they want it to grow. Apple has a much smaller market share than Microsoft and had an even smaller marketshare in the past pre OS X. Now I have no idea what that looks like, but I do not believe the OS just puts it out and leaves it be. They need to do something to make people want to develop for their platform. 

I am not saying Linux users as a whole do not understand business, it is more a comment on the seemingly countless posts in this thread regarding kick starters, buying 10 copies each and other reasons they think this is a no brainer. 

On a side note, it is would be much easier if you could quote my post as I am notified that way. Would be nice if the @usernmae worked that way as well, but does not seem too.

2 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I am not saying Linux users as a whole do not understand business, it is more a comment on the seemingly countless posts in this thread regarding kick starters, buying 10 copies each and other reasons they think this is a no brainer.

Kickstarter is for some entity that needs do develop something. But I've seen the problem put wrong here, like "we do a kickstarter for Affinity to develop something", which is a really weird point. Sorry if I'm mistaken. Anyway, the idea is that there are people needing a good graphical tool (at least) on Linux, more than only a painting one, more than only a photography one, a design one rather than all specific that exist and are good. Affinity is on the right path. There is a hope they would do it some day.

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

This whole thread is filled with posts from die hard Linux users who want it without understanding the reality of business.

Not everyone shares the almost rabid loyalty many Linux users have towards their OS of choice.

Actually, I see a lot of users here with a license for the Mac and/or Windows version of Affinity products, would like to have a chance to (find out what it's like to) switch to Linux.

It's often that people's first experience with Linux is a positive one, and they quickly learn that their newfound enthusiasm is met with outdated opinions, arguments from ignorance, and psychologically interesting ad hominems like rabid and zealot in which an attempt is made to argue against the positive experiences of the new Linux user by likening their personal computing choices to the the characteristics of a small idealistic group of Stallmanists in the hopes of discrediting these newfound opinions by their Windows using peers, who are afraid that some formerly trivial minority OS like Linux might take away some of their software support privileges when developers might actually choose at some point to divert some of their focus and attention to this new upcoming reality.

Don't worry, you've got nothing to fear from this thread for at least the entire 1.x release branch.

@wonderings

I have no problems with different opinions it's what makes the world an interesting place :) I only disagree with your assumptions about peoples business sense and the seemingly negativity to people wanting a better alternative to the design software currently available on Linux. We are not rabid, well I'm definitely not frothing from the mouth.

I agree we have no idea how much XXX dollars Affinity would make, nobody does even if they try to estimate it on this thread. Ubuntu state that their desktop operating system powers millions of PCs and laptops around the world, how true this is I don't know, how many of them would be interested in design again I don't know. A kick start might indicate the amount of interest if promoted in the right places. Maybe just an online survey.

I do personally know lots of people like me who reluctantly use a Mac and Windows OS but if given the chance would instantly migrate to Linux distro if the right software was available.

You may not be interested in this or would the many others?? But we haven't had any issues with idml files as of yet it has been a smooth process not saying that some people might have minor issues, but any time required to fix them is payed for by not having to pay the Adobe subscription per head. By the way importing idml in our case is only used when dealing with our archived Indesign work, all the new work we do is done in Publisher with better mpg.

I'm also in contact with many professional photographers who are now using Affinity with raw files and I haven't heard any negativity to it in fact the opposite so again it is already a competitor for Adobe.

By the way i'm involved in branding, editorial and digital work.

Advanced member I know I was just being childish about the labels I do apologise :) I have all 3 apps x 2 at my work stations and it is a viable alternative to Adobe in my experience, no problems to report yet.

21 minutes ago, MisterBooth said:

@wonderings

I have no problems with different opinions it's what makes the world an interesting place :) I only disagree with your assumptions about peoples business sense and the seemingly negativity to people wanting a better alternative to the design software currently available on Linux. We are not rabid, well I'm definitely not frothing from the mouth.

I agree we have no idea how much XXX dollars Affinity would make, nobody does even if they try to estimate it on this thread. Ubuntu state that their desktop operating system powers millions of PCs and laptops around the world, how true this is I don't know, how many of them would be interested in design again I don't know. A kick start might indicate the amount of interest if promoted in the right places. Maybe just an online survey.

I do personally know lots of people like me who reluctantly use a Mac and Windows OS but if given the chance would instantly migrate to Linux distro if the right software was available.

You may not be interested in this or would the many others?? But we haven't had any issues with idml files as of yet it has been a smooth process not saying that some people might have minor issues, but any time required to fix them is payed for by not having to pay the Adobe subscription per head. By the way importing idml in our case is only used when dealing with our archived Indesign work, all the new work we do is done in Publisher with better mpg.

I'm also in contact with many professional photographers who are now using Affinity with raw files and I haven't heard any negativity to it in fact the opposite so again it is already a competitor for Adobe.

By the way i'm involved in branding, editorial and digital work.

Advanced member I know I was just being childish about the labels I do apologise :) I have all 3 apps x 2 at my work stations and it is a viable alternative to Adobe in my experience, no problems to report yet.

In another post in this thread, or the other Linux thread, one person mentioned Adobe had started looking into this. It was an older link. It sounded like Adobe had began exploring bringing their apps to Linux. They then halted the project with no real explanation. My guess would be they did not see the value in it at the moment otherwise why would anyone not develop for Linux if there is money to be made?

Regarding idml files and Publisher, I have tried a few test files with very basic linked files (.ai, .eps, .psd). Surprisingly the .psd file was a mess and it was a simple instagram logo. This was a business card that was done and good to go with Indesign. Migrating to Publisher would have me either need to recreate the logo or find a new version of an outdated instagram logo they were using. Not a huge deal but it is time adjusting and fixing a file. Now this will happen anyways if you do choose to migrate, that should be factored in the conversion and fixing of all your files as needed. People went through the same thing when moving from Quark to Indesign. I took a different approach (which was easier because of perpetual licenses) and just had all new files preparing in Indesign. Use Quark for older files and slowly recreate as needed in Indesign. Publisher has major issues with placed PDF's, so if you are working on any pieces that have PDF's in them you are going to have issues if you do not have the fonts on your computer. These things are easy to miss as it could be small text and it could be in all sorts of places of the design that if you are not looking for you may miss. 

I do think it is great if you can get away with replacing Adobe with Affinity, there is massive cost savings obviously. I do not think the cost is all that prohibitive for Adobe though if you are making your living with the software as you should be making much more than $75 a month in profits. I think time will tell though how Affinity is received as it is version 1. What happens when we are 4 versions down the line and someone is still using V2, there will eventually be compatibility issues which there was with Adobe. The CC solved this. 

45 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

Actually, I see a lot of users here with a license for the Mac and/or Windows version of Affinity products, would like to have a chance to (find out what it's like to) switch to Linux.

It's often that people's first experience with Linux is a positive one, and they quickly learn that their newfound enthusiasm is met with outdated opinions, arguments from ignorance, and psychologically interesting ad hominems like rabid and zealot in which an attempt is made to argue against the positive experiences of the new Linux user by likening their personal computing choices to the the characteristics of a small idealistic group of Stallmanists in the hopes of discrediting these newfound opinions by their Windows using peers, who are afraid that some formerly trivial minority OS like Linux might take away some of their software support privileges when developers might actually choose at some point to divert some of their focus and attention to this new upcoming reality.

Don't worry, you've got nothing to fear from this thread for at least the entire 1.x release branch.

You seeing a lot of users is anecdotal evidence, it really means nothing in terms of hard numbers and how many actual users there could potentially be. You would certainly not be using it when developing strategies for expanding a product line into a new market. And more anecdotal evidence about users first experience. I am not afraid of Linux growing or even becoming the biggest OS in the world, I would learn to use it and continue on. When the arguments for Linux go beyond reason then they are fuelled by something else. There are Apple people like this and Windows users. They are passionate about the OS of choice and like to preach the virtues of it. I would say I was like that to a lesser degree with Apple products in the past. 

I am not worried at all about Affinity on Linux. I think it would be great to have options for Linux users. I just do not see it being a smart move at this time. As it was said "nothing personal, it's just business". I am not emotionally attached to my computer, OS, or software. I like when they work and let me accomplish the work I need to get done. 

@wonderings

Because Adobe didn't pursue a Linux version doesn't mean that another company should shy away from it, we can only speculate their reasons for pulling out but we shouldn't be sheep in this world. Business is always a risk but I honestly think the risk is relatively small in this case.

I went through the Quark to Indesign myself.. fun days. Missing fonts are always an issue but it's second nature to know that and linked files can easily be converted including placed pdfs. Linked replacements can cause position, scale issues but again you deal with the old when needed and build with the new.

Yes time will tell if a future version of Affinity can deal with older versions but I sure they are fully aware of this.

I've been using a Mac since 1992 and a PC since 1995 and dabbled in Linux over the years. They all have pros and cons but lately Mac OS just isn't the same I've had too many issues recently and with rumours of Windows becoming a subscription OS, true or false,  means that Linux has become more attractive to me, I must add in a non sexual way. We just need a company brave enough to make it happen.

By the way there are a lot of Blender users out there who prefer Linux but have to jump onto a virtual Windows to do some 2D texturing. That's another big market place.

55 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I just do not see it being a smart move at this time.

That's a fair opinion. Others think different, and opine that the market is artificially small. It's the famous chicken and egg problem.

[The small Linux market share] is a result of the software developers not supporting Linux rather than any fault of Linux itself. This creates a chicken or the egg situation where developers don't make programs for Linux due to its small market share, and consumers don't use Linux due to absence of the programs.

We simply do not know. We can't definitively argue a position.

We can enhance a position with anecdotal evidence, or even debate a market share multiplier for example by suggesting that user characteristics imply Linux (3.38%) could have a higher degree of creatives than MacOS (9.46%) has, similar to how MacOS might have a higher degree of creatives than Windows (86.69%) has. Since the adjusted MacOS marketshare for Affinity is 9.46/(86.69+9.46)*100 = 10%, Affinity could test this hypothesis by verifying that more than 10% of their sales are for the MacOS platform. Because if the MacOS number is 25%, it would mean the creative market share om MacOS is 2.5x bigger than the actual market share. Extrapolated to Linux, the creative market share would be similar to that of MacOS. However, when this was proposed, Affinity didn't share those figures, so we cannot argue a position on that.

If this is literally about numbers, we could propose a no-cure-no-pay scheme like a crowdfunding campaign where a minimum sum of money would need to be raised, but Affinity already emphasized that they do not approve, will not support a crowdfund, and will not make a Linux version even if the money target would be reached. So we cannot probe any interest from that.

So, with all avenues closed, we the users cannot definitively argue a position, and the market for creative commercial software on Linux is now Schrödinger's egg. We don't know if the chicken exists until there is professional grade photo and vector software on Linux. All we can do is share opinions.

However, when an opinion includes ad hominems like "rabid", or empty platitudes like "It is not Serifs job to make Linux grow", it comes across as rather bitter, and we're left to speculate on the motivations and interests that inspire such fallacies.

1 hour ago, Redsandro said:

Shocking :))) I've had my first positive experience with Linux .... 9 years ago! I have the same distro since then.

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

You seeing a lot of users is anecdotal evidence, it really means nothing in terms of hard numbers and how many actual users there could potentially be. You would certainly not be using it when developing strategies for expanding a product line into a new market. And more anecdotal evidence about users first experience. I am not afraid of Linux growing or even becoming the biggest OS in the world, I would learn to use it and continue on. When the arguments for Linux go beyond reason then they are fuelled by something else. There are Apple people like this and Windows users. They are passionate about the OS of choice and like to preach the virtues of it. I would say I was like that to a lesser degree with Apple products in the past. 

I am not worried at all about Affinity on Linux. I think it would be great to have options for Linux users. I just do not see it being a smart move at this time. As it was said "nothing personal, it's just business". I am not emotionally attached to my computer, OS, or software. I like when they work and let me accomplish the work I need to get done. 

Anecdotal... I wouldn't count them anyway. Who does?

I am not emotionally attached to my Linux. I am rationally attached. I am emotionally and rationally attached to freedom.

2 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Anecdotal... I wouldn't count them anyway. Who does?

Researchers and strategists do.

Qualitative (as opposed to quantitative) data may be harder to quantify by its very nature, but that doesn't make qualitative data less important than quantitative data. Quantitative data is easier to measure. It takes less time than processing narratives by humans, and turning qualitative information into quantitative data to be presented to stakeholders.

You have to listen to what people are saying. I think it's the root cause of a lot of the problems we are seeing with tech companies that have—quite frankly—ruined lives because they chose to be data-driven instead of data-informed. If you don't count anecdotes and user stories as part of your decision making it means you are not counting what users are actually saying. People's voices, stories, and personal experiences should not be flat-out ignored. It makes you blind to the bigger picture.

Innovators will always be doing things where there are no numbers to back it up, because innovators do things no one has done before.

In my little corner of the print/graphic/web/software design industry, most of the people I work with on a professional level very much want a Linux version, including the company I work for. I was able to convince us to become a Affinity shop, but it is a drag for our Linux-using designers and developers to use a VM to run the software. But don't let that be the reason why you won't support Linux. There's plenty of people who don't have the RAM to dedicate to a VM that you'll be missing out on.

I understand that the want or (in some cases) need for a Linux version among the design community may not sway Serif much in the short term, especially now that ARM is something macOS devs will have to deal with soon, but at the very least I hope that future companies will make the decision in the beginning to use a tech stack that will allow them to write cross-platform products easily.

Graphic design, software development, and education for underestimated creatives. Squirrel Logic