You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

1 hour ago, toltec said:

So, presumably you talking for dozens of Linux users and saying they will spend their money on Affinity products is OK? The people who say what Serif will do are not speaking for them (like you are for Linux users) merely repeating what they say. It is public knowledge, and repeating public knowledge is normal on the web. Or pretty much anywhere for that matter.

I have seen plenty of commitments of Linux users money, but no firm commitments from anyone, apart from a handful of Linux users who could definitely be considered trolls.

So before you start accusing people here of trolling Linux users, bear in mind that you have come here, to an Affinity forum, uninvited. Affinity users here are not pestering Linux users on their websites. Linux users who come here are pestering Serif to create Linux versions, even though that would be bad for the loyal users here who have already supported Serif by spending money.

What have you actually done for the benefit of Serif and Affinity users? 

It’s not our problem that you made a bad decision by installing an OS that is next to useless because there is no decent software. You didn’t even pay for that!

p.s. I see you have made over 70 posts.

Do you actually own any Serif products? Do you have a question for a questions forum that has not been answered, several times over? What part of No don’t you understand or are your 70 plus posts just trolling?

No, I have asked for a Linux version from Serif, they responded, I have tried to clarify to some that Linux is not as they think.

On the other hand, people coming against a Linux version that are not Serif's employees were also uninvited to answer, so they come into this category. Like it or not.

I could ask also what have you actually done for the benefit of Serif and Affinity users in these posts? Do you think you are helping them with those posts? How?

18 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

No, I have asked for a Linux version from Serif, they responded, I have tried to clarify to some that Linux is not as they think.

On the other hand, people coming against a Linux version that are not Serif's employees were also uninvited to answer, so they come into this category. Like it or not.

I could ask also what have you actually done for the benefit of Serif and Affinity users in these posts? Do you think you are helping them with those posts? How?

As I said, what part of No did you not understand ?

You are 100% trolling now! 

Some of the main symptoms of trolling is not answering questions, not accepting the answers given and being deliberately obtuse.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Do you really think that Serif staff don't know what Linux is ? Hard to believe that this post is now 28 pages long. There will not be a Serif app for Linux, no Photoshop or Lightroom or no Microsoft Office, no.... How should that be explained to make you understand that you have to give up on this....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

21 hours ago, R C-R said:

If the Linux advocates are serious about convincing Serif to make & sell Linux versions then they need to treat this like they would if they were presenting a business plan to potential investors.

since that involves hours upon hours of serious work, an employment contract, NDA etc would be needed.

Without the Ipad versions of the Affinity line, Adobe wouldn`t have announced to release Photoshop for IPad in 2019.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

13 minutes ago, myclay said:

since that involves hours upon hours of serious work, an employment contract, NDA etc would be needed.

That, and we don't really know Serif's internal structuring, nor the rough amount of effort required for them to port their software to Linux. The most anyone outside the business could do is try to convince them that there is an audience interested in their wares. 

51 minutes ago, toltec said:

As I said, what part of No did you not understand ?

You are 100% trolling now! 

Some of the main symptoms of trolling is not answering questions, not accepting the answers given and being obtuse.

Again no. I did not explain anything to anyone from Serif. Only to some posters not from Serif.

That being said, I ask to any moderator here to erase my posts and delete my account, as I won't bother anyone anymore.

Was nice to meet some of you. Thank you!

Good bye!

2 hours ago, myclay said:

Indeed, it would require a lot of hard work, but it would not require any 'inside' knowledge of the company. This is not much different from the detailed business plans people who are serious about starting new businesses must prepare if they want to convince potential investors to back their ventures. At a bare minimum almost all investors want to know how their money will be spent, how likely they are to get it back, & how long that will take.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Had I got 10m or 20m euro in the bank sure I'd put a couple into a proper creative suite for Linux and be done with the arrogant behavior of Windows apologists for sure. Competition is good, and open source even better, but I suppose it's too hard to understand when you're used to thinking about computing as sports.

11 minutes ago, mzzfdrc said:

Competition is good, and open source even better,

Sorry, you'll need to explain that - why is open source better.  And better at what?

13 minutes ago, mzzfdrc said:

but I suppose it's too hard to understand when you're used to thinking about computing as sports.

Here's the thing - I don't think about computing as sports, I think about it as a business.  Yes, competition's good, but open source is just another competitor - it's not "special", it's not "morally superior", it's just another way of getting things done.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

16 hours ago, toltec said:

Some of the main symptoms of trolling is not answering questions, not accepting the answers given and being obtuse.

Not answering questions and not accepting answers are personal choices. Being obtuse is not usually under our control! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Not answering questions and not accepting answers are personal choices. Being obtuse is not usually under our control! ;)

I'm always a bit obtuse, even although I don't really understand what obtuse means ;)

1 minute ago, toltec said:

I'm always a bit obtuse, even although I don't really understand what obtuse means ;)

We could probably make some acute observations about that! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Actually, I meant to say "deliberately obtuse". But being unintentionally obtuse prevented it.

Why not start a crowd fund.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 hours ago, AlainP said:

Do you really think that Serif staff don't know what Linux is ? Hard to believe that this post is now 28 pages long. There will not be a Serif app for Linux, no Photoshop or Lightroom or no Microsoft Office, no.... How should that be explained to make you understand that you have to give up on this....

I agree. Serif have made it crystal clear in no uncertain terms that there will be no Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer for Linux (the same almost certainly applies to the Skylum/Macphun products too) and that there will be no attempts to make these products compatible with CrossOver/Wine either.

On the positive side, there are now more free and paid-for photo editors available for Linux and there are plenty of online image editors that don't discriminate against Linux. There are also some Windows photo editors that work well with Wine (one company even makes an effort to ensure Wine compatibility). Even the most famous open source image editor is much improved in its most recent iteration. Those are the softwares to go for.

8 hours ago, IanSG said:

Sorry, you'll need to explain that - why is open source better.  And better at what?

Here's the thing - I don't think about computing as sports, I think about it as a business.  Yes, competition's good, but open source is just another competitor - it's not "special", it's not "morally superior", it's just another way of getting things done.

Why do you think open source is currently dominating web development or server software?

You use products everyday that wouldn't have been the same without FOSS.

You're probably even browsing this on Chrome or Firefox - that actually pushed forward the web unlike closed source Internet Explorer. Even Microsoft gave up and started supporting Linux on Azure and Windows.

Open source makes a shit ton of stuff possible because everyone can get the code and contribute, share and do stuff that wouldn't have been possible. Even gaming consoles run on Unix-like systems with open source libraries. Just about all smartphones too.

But yeah, keep ignoring that OSS pushes innovation forward.

3 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

Synfig Donations.JPG

congrats in showing one of many ways where developers haven´t understood that to get money, you have to offer something in return.
The congrats is seriously meant here. Synfigs failure in successfully making their plea for recurring donations is a reminder that just opening an account on patreon isn't enough.

The team behind Krita for example is compared to the synfig team much more successful (~€ 2000 per month in donations)
having a shop, offering tutorials, merchandise,selling on Seam,Microsoft store also helps and much more important;
code sprints with clear goals and thus offering value and consecutively getting more support and money with each successful code sprint.
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/krita/created

Krita codesprint 2014: € 19.955
Krita codesprint 2015: € 30.520
Krita codesprint 2016: € 38.579

1 hour ago, mzzfdrc said:

Why do you think open source is currently dominating web development or server software?

You use products everyday that wouldn't have been the same without FOSS.

You're probably even browsing this on Chrome or Firefox - that actually pushed forward the web unlike closed source Internet Explorer. Even Microsoft gave up and started supporting Linux on Azure and Windows.

Open source makes a shit ton of stuff possible because everyone can get the code and contribute, share and do stuff that wouldn't have been possible. Even gaming consoles run on Unix-like systems with open source libraries. Just about all smartphones too.

But yeah, keep ignoring that OSS pushes innovation forward.

The trouble is, take away internet stuff and Linux is virtually nothing.

Business runs on Windows or Macs. Graphics, printing, office, doctors, etc etc etc.

So apart from geeks playing around in their bedrooms, the real world runs on real word computers. 

And how does free stuff push innovation forward?

Why are you here?

Because your OS is holding back innovation and is behind the world when it comes to proper innovative software maybe ?

24 minutes ago, toltec said:

Business runs on Windows or Macs.

It depends on the business. Linux isn't an also-ran out there in the real world. If you're running a company with a complicated intranet structuring, heavy internet presence, or a need to crunch a lot of heavy data, they'll be using Linux somewhere. On top of that, the entire CG industry is practically built upon Linux. Pixar, Weta, et al. don't use Windows or Macs for their modelling software and render farms. They're all almost exclusively Linux. Hence why most CG-centric packages like Maya, Modo, Houdini, the Substance suite, ect. all have a 'nix rev.

The one area where Linux is weakest just so happens to be the one area Serif is most focused: photography and graphic design. They're the one company that's come closest to competing with Adobe on this front, which is why we're seeing so much pressure here for them to release a Linux rev of their software. If they did, the platform would be fully catered to.

16 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

It depends on the business. Linux isn't an also-ran out there in the real world. If you're running a company with a complicated intranet structuring, heavy internet presence, or a need to crunch a lot of heavy data, they'll be using Linux somewhere. On top of that, the entire CG industry is practically built upon Linux. Pixar, Weta, et al. don't use Windows or Macs for their modelling software and render farms. They're all almost exclusively Linux. Hence why most CG-centric packages like Maya, Modo, Houdini, the Substance suite, ect. all have a 'nix rev.

The one area where Linux is weakest just so happens to be the one area Serif is most focused: photography and graphic design. They're the one company that's come closest to competing with Adobe on this front, which is why we're seeing so much pressure here for them to release a Linux rev of their software. If they did, the platform would be fully catered to.

I'm not convinced, it's not just a few bits of software. That is OK for a few clever dick types.

THERE IS NO SUPPORT ! at least in the UK.

Normal, non-geek people, can't just go into a store and buy a Linux machine.

Normal non-geek people can't get a leasing contract on a few dozen machines.

Normal, non-geek people can't get on site support contracts.

Normal, non-geek, people can't get local engineer back-up when it all goes wrong.

Normal, non-geek people can't get training on the software, like MS Office software.

Normal non-geek people can't buy loads of 'teaching' books from e bay. Maybe a few ?

So, if normal non-geek people people can't get it, or use it, who is left?

Oh yes, geeks !

indeed, Serif did come the closest. Due to Serifs so far deserved success,  Adobe is finally going to cater Photoshop even to IPad owners.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-13/adobe-is-said-to-plan-photoshop-for-ipad-in-app-strategy-shift
this quote from the article above is interesting and makes me think that Serif is going to tab new markets.

A Photoshop iPad app would immediately hurt a slew of mobile apps that have sought to fill the void, including Pixelmator, Affinity and Enlight Photofox.

11 minutes ago, toltec said:

Oh yes, geeks !

Which, you know, is Serif's primary market. I'm sure they love having some normal non-geek folks buying their spiffy affordable software, but their major demographic is web designers and photographers who are, for all intents and purposes, big ole geeks. If you were to draw up a Venn diagram between Affinity users, and Linux nerds, you'd see some overlap.

I mean comeon, we're arguing about Linux on an internet messageboard. We're the geeks among geeks, probably only a hairs breadth away from breaking out into a verbal fist fight over Doctor Who. Search your feelings, Toltec. You will know it to be true.