You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

I love Linux, especially Linux Mint, "it's green and minty" nuff said.

You have to approach Linux in the right manner, "It's not like Windows" = Wrong Manner. People get locked in to a mindset and try to change similar things to fit that mindset, "bash that square peg into the round hole" 

If Affinity goes Linux hurrah! if they don't it's no bother, there are other comparable apps out there, I don't need to try emotional blackmail, or throw the rattle out of the cot because a software developer isn't going to do what I want. I'm sure some bright spark will figure a way to port it. 

"The universe is unfolding as it should, because if it could unfold any other way it would."

You have been zen'd, Namaste. Chingbingaling.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, InfoCentral said:

They won't so it's "no bother."

That was brutal man

giphy.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

54 minutes ago, toltec said:

Best to stick to just Windows then :D

Software galore to do the job.

I'll be making myself an Hackintosh well before I go back using Windows for programming lol. I can't stand writing my private key passphrase 30 times a day because Windows is stuck in the 90s. And also wasting 30 minutes of my life every week getting lost in incoherent system panels for volume, networking and all.

Either way, I'm here just because I was reading about software on Linux and ended up here to see if there was something about a port, then had to sign up because of the bullshit thrown around. I'm happy about my current situation, CS6 works fine for me and it's what I used in university for years, while quick prototyping has many alternatives either in the browser or just by coding it up with React. Just pointing out there are plenty of professionals doing open-source and making money with it, and some not even doing open-source and still publishing for Linux. Never been happier about my current install and all, and surely not going back to Windows just because some random software doesn't work. I'd be making myself a virtual machine with OS X or Windows just like I've been using Docker with VirtualBox on Windows.

Interestingly, there is a project on a layer for OS X software just like Wine. Let's see how Proton goes too, it might solve the issues with C++ I've seen with Affinity.

It's really a loss for them if they don't want to support Linux; we'll be using something else with minor annoyances that are vastly less annoying than dealing with Windows.

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The main problem with Win 10 is that Microsoft keep releasing updates which show signs of not having been sufficiently thoroughly tested, and most users can’t prevent those updates being applied. I don’t recall having, or reading about, similar problems with Win 7.

The problem is that Microsoft has this weird tendency to do everything in extremes. One of the major reasons why malware was so prevalent in Windows post XP is because your average end users rarely, if ever update their machines, leaving them vulnerable to various exploits that have long since been patched out. MS recognized this, and thought "well okay, let's release a version of Windows that makes it so people have no choice BUT to get the updates."

...and hey, it worked. Windows 10 is fairly secure and solid these days. The issues arise due to being MS so freaking aggressive with these updates, providing you two big OS updates a year that can take anywhere from 30 minutes to gawwww amount of hours to install, alongside tons of smaller patches that sometimes necessitate a lengthy reboot in between them. You can't opt out of them. The most you can do is defer them, which requires a proactive stance on your part, and is only an option if you're using Win10Pro. If Windows has decided to start the upgrade process, you have no choice but to hop along for the ride.

I'm fortunate in that I've never been caught unawares by it before. But I know people who have, and I can totally understand why it'd tick them off.

45 minutes ago, mzzfdrc said:

I'll be making myself an Hackintosh well before I go back using Windows for programming lol. I can't stand writing my private key passphrase 30 times a day because Windows is stuck in the 90s. And also wasting 30 minutes of my life every week getting lost in incoherent system panels for volume, networking and all.

Either way, I'm here just because I was reading about software on Linux and ended up here to see if there was something about a port, then had to sign up because of the bullshit thrown around. I'm happy about my current situation, CS6 works fine for me and it's what I used in university for years, while quick prototyping has many alternatives either in the browser or just by coding it up with React. Just pointing out there are plenty of professionals doing open-source and making money with it, and some not even doing open-source and still publishing for Linux. Never been happier about my current install and all, and surely not going back to Windows just because some random software doesn't work. I'd be making myself a virtual machine with OS X or Windows just like I've been using Docker with VirtualBox on Windows.

Interestingly, there is a project on a layer for OS X software just like Wine. Let's see how Proton goes too, it might solve the issues with C++ I've seen with Affinity.

It's really a loss for them if they don't want to support Linux; we'll be using something else with minor annoyances that are vastly less annoying than dealing with Windows.

I ran Hackintosh for 4 years on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard it was solid, then the motherboard borked so I bought a real iMac. It was fun to do.

Would love to see the Math in relation to peoples assumption of "loss". When you talk about loss do you understand the development costs involved.

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I ran Hackintosh for 4 years on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard it was solid, then the motherboard borked so I bought a real iMac. It was fun to do.

Ha ha! Exactly the same board, same end.

But now it is illegal. Also virtualizing under other OS than OS X.

1 hour ago, msdobrescu said:

mzzfdrc said, I quote:

:tenor.gif?itemid=3294422

Yeah, Terminator runs Linux!

It's a Unix system, I know this [cit.]

Ha ha! Exactly the same board, same end.

But now it is illegal. Also virtualizing under other OS than OS X.

A bit more complicated than that. I do have a Mac and an original copy of the system though (though it's pretty broken now).

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Would love to see the Math in relation to peoples assumption of "loss". When you talk about loss do you understand the development costs involved.

If the Linux advocates are serious about convincing Serif to make & sell Linux versions then they need to treat this like they would if they were presenting a business plan to potential investors. Among other things, that means providing a detailed analysis of all the anticipated costs involved in development, support, marketing, & overhead; the size of each potential market & how to effectively promote these products to them; & timelines for everything, showing when to expect a positive ROI.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/1/2018 at 1:19 PM, msdobrescu said:

Interesting. Maybe has no good promotion. Is there some review anywhere? With this name is hard to find one.

https://creativepro.com/ormr-image-editor-may-make-undoredo-thing-past/

http://web.archive.org/web/20121115000414/http://mashable.com:80/2012/11/10/ormr/

Tried to find some and the former name of Bloom gave the above links but real in-dept reviews are scarce.
You are right, there is no promotion, marketing nor tutorials available for it, it eerily reminds me of Photoline and probably went under the bus due to the spectacular lack of constant updates and proper marketing.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

16 hours ago, Renzatic said:

The most you can do is defer them, which requires a proactive stance on your part, and is only an option if you're using Win10Pro

Well, yes, the option is not there, in Windows Home. But if the Windows Update service is actually stopped, it wont update (just like with Defender, I'd do the registry trick, but there are options for that other thing in Home, just buried). Yes, once reactivated it will do it, no matter what. Is due to the excuse of Windows now being a SaaS (software as a service...or that they say.. but... there's no subscription...well, of windows itself...) , and supposedly because it brings less headaches to them as the other way there were a lot more configurations/rare cases to support. Is like happens in consoles compared to PCs. They probably love a more limited environment like an Xbox, or a ...fridge, lol.  An ok excuse if the patches actually were minimally tested previous a deploy... 

[Edit: I removed the rest... it was extremely long once I saw it posted, lol . ]

[well, finally left it with the spoiler command, just for the too brave (or crazy). ]

My issue is not with the current situation. The current situation is bearable, if you know how to. My main worry Windows related would be... where the heck is it going. And in another way, I have a collection of doubts as where it is heading Mac OS desktop (and from recent stuff, what's going on in certain aspects in iOS, the iPad & iPhone, etc. Although is kind of looking better than the desktop. While for work, for me would be an iMac pro, no matter what, if prices were from this world). And worried is the right term, as I rather prefer to work in a desktop , and specially where all the professional needs are attended, nothing is left to "if someone is willing to develop it in their free time" or if..."" someone does a successful crowd funding, then...perhaps" This is full tragedy for pro work. And I don't mean for web/UI/UX workflows, that in graphic apps are extremely less demanding than for example for a full PBR workflow for game art, but also a complete print workflow. So, yeah, ain't looking nice at all in the commercial desktop. And this is for me kindda new. You could always count on this as a safe field for pros...I know MS gets a lot of money from stuff that is making more and more "as a service" (instead of charging for the core OS license). From One Drive services, to from even games that are pre-installed in Windows 10 and from which micro transactions MS gets a cut.  From the subscription based Office. And definitely the cut from hardware vendors, that's huge alone, IMO. But there's not gonna be a Windows 11, and that arises some doubts in my side... Probably they weren't making the profit that is worth it (a lot of ppl warezed their OS looking at whole world stats, while this is a really bad thing to do, not just for moral reasons) , or maybe they have realized they can get a lot more through a lot other sources (and yeah, most probably telemetry is.... very involved . But imo, as mass stats, more than very individual)

Well, with all those inconveniences (there a re a bunch of other obstacles for my professional work if I choose Linux, but also, even if only to a  much smaller degree,  for going Mac OSX. Just a mere case of convenience due to the software available for each platform) still is worth it (largely) for me to stay in Windows. And not by a small margin.

I'm curious about those infos  in some place about doing a port of Serif's apps... I guess there might have been spread a bit misleading infos out of here, as there's not an even minimal sign of the developers pointing to the possibility...

My big conclusion about OSes is... Those lucky enough to not need to use the home machine for work, heck, I'd be in Linux already. I was!, for very long. The pros need the stuff NOW, not to get solved in yet another decade (like some graphic software roadmap has been in the past under Linux). SO, IMO, only once the situation is already supported fully, a graphics professional can think of considering it as an option. With how MS and Apple are acting with the desktop, I personally don't think is crazy anymore to think that Linux (with open source software or closed source commercial applications or any mix of it) might end up in not very long time as the only "sensible" platform to work at and maintain, at least for small business, freelancers, even advanced hobbyists. IF they don't copy or acquire bad habits in the way, usual thing when you give power to anything.  The HUGE issue is to be an "early" adopter (considering other fields than Web/UX, or Video /FX) now, without a fast and absolutely COMPLETE workflow for CMYK and a bunch of other things. That a particular field and specific set of tasks are lucky enough to not "need" at all certain capabilities means nothing in the global picture or for other specialized pros in other matters/fields. Just, in the meantime, for what is work in my several areas, there's no discussion possible with the current facts and deep knowledge of the case (as an experienced graphic content creator in both platforms and the major graphics apps for both).  But once all (not just one, Not just the main 2D raster editor and a vector package) needs are covered, and the system is better suited for a collection of things for graphic work, then I'll jump ship, for sure. Right now I'd loose a lot of possibilities, gigs, money. But is a race that Linux can win. Even without the hugely important need of change of a mindset (devrs and users giving a much stronger importance to graphic creation software, and considering as well that not only the basic user is so, a lot of pro users want a dumb easy handling of the OS,even if the OS keeps fully flexible for advanced usage, as it is now) it could win just for how badly the other 2 are making it, lol.

The thing is... For companies,. Windows must continue, too much stuff depends on that for a gazillion of companies, like it or not! Facts are facts (linux companies presence is huge in certain fields, not denying that). So, I wont think it will disappear, but it can become subscription based for companies, more  than it is already. For the average Joe, I doubt it: There are regions where inet can't even reach for all those huge updates, a lot wont be able to pay a monthly subscription, and Windows has really spread. And there are even legal issues it would incur on. But they can reduce the functionality for a Pro usage... that's easy to do. Anyway, never has been the case, I don't go with the alarmists, usually.Thing is: they are making it a more and more uncomfortable environment and can wreck their own business if continue this way. The main direction of the company could change, and with this, might bring some sense back, so u never know. If that happens, people will settle in Windows again, people tend to forget these things when there are some motivations or easiness in play.

But in the meantime, I am not going to loose income possibilities or gigs just to be a brave early adopter. Did that in the past, with a lot of risks, as a freelancer and at companies. Not anymore.

Money always saves itself, so, I guess once they detect a threshold enough of people and/or companies jumping ship (the upgrade cycle is really punishing companies and  their admins) they'll back a bit, and go to a better handling, until new cr4p emerges again. Meanwhile MS and Apple think they can really afford these peaks and valleys (lotsa valleys lately),  Linux world and open source will keep evolving, at its, er... pace, yeah, but at least, "sensible" (the tale of the rabbit and the turtle). So, yeah, overall, MS and Apple are going kind of a bit the way of the Dodo with the desktop. I have no clue about how it will end, but today, for people that make graphic content of very varied nature and very high and varied requirements, there's just no practical option other than Mac/Win, at least for now.

Besides, I don't see that terrible the current Windows 10 issues. My worry is how will "evolve" ;) 

we'll be using something else with minor annoyances that are vastly less annoying than dealing with Windows.

I don't deny there are annoyances in Windows: But in one or another style, there are problems with every OS...Minor annoyances wont be what I'd call handling Gimp for a CMYK workflow, though (that said, I like Gimp, more than most Linux users around here, it seems ! To the extreme of preferring loading Photoshop under a VM ;) . But printing and CMYK is not really needed for a Web/UX/front-end workflow (neither to be able to launch 3DS Max native), which btw, is just a user base, a field of usage, there are many, many more.) . And for a large user base, handling Linux itself is considered, described so, as an annoyance ( have spoken about this with many, while trying to convince them to install them their Linux). I do not consider it so , but have dealt a lot with pros of not quite a system (OS) technical inclination, let alone just basic users. 

BTW, Sketch makes a lot of sense for speed up in designing stage. Not so much if you work a lot with pre-made libraries which stablish the visual style and that's what your boss is willing to stick with. Well, indeed, is very useful for almost any workflow.. It is really good. Is Mac-only, at least for now, so, not my preference, but I would LOVE to get used to it at a job, as is requested really often in many job offers, so, is also an asset to land in a good job. I do need full editing packages for my vectors and rasters, but these tools can save a lot of time... Still, at a company, give me a PS (+ AI) or similar (Affinity :D ) , and a code editor ( even a very basic one), that's all I need.

About the pure designer thing... Well there are even more types, IMO. I studied Fine Arts, Painting specialty, but did later on a master in design but heavily multimedia production focused. Many years ago, and been self taught in many companies, and as a freelancer, since then...  I don't care about names anymore, tho... therefor the popcorn comment, that debate for me now is just fine for light entertainment... ;D 

About if a coder can be a designer, or a carpenter could be one as well, it doesn't matter the extra domains of knowledge/skills one can handle. Is about if you know the design principles, and can apply them effectively, solve problems, do solid design ( BTW, I like to differentiate it from other areas of expertise when using 3D or 2D). That's it. But UX is IMO an entire new world. With more fields involved. 

The need of mastering new stuff , and reaching that point when you  don't care anymore about the impostor syndrome is related heavily to the need of... eating. :D:D 

Edited by SrPx
I had fully removed the spoiler chunk, but I hadn't realized it had 2 likes ! :s

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

17 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

They won't so it's "no bother."

Ahh? I assume you're working for Serif ? no, you're saying that just because you don't want their product on Linux for whatever reason.

Man, 50% of Pro Linux Software exist because big client with many seats wants software in the environment they are working. (The rest are on Linux because they are made on Linux first)
So If tomorrow let says a big studio contact serif and put enough money on the table I assure you Serif will make the conversion.

Plus, I'm sure the conversion isn't so hard if they want it, nowadays recent program code isn't so tied to the OS which was not the case in the 2000's.
Serif already made the Windows version, unless they're completely crazy they already made their code 90 to 95% OS independent;-)

23 minutes ago, NNois said:

Ahh? I assume you're working for Serif ? no, you're saying that just because you don't want their product on Linux for whatever reason.

Nope. @InfoCentral is saying that because that is what the people who are working for Serif have said, many times now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

44 minutes ago, NNois said:

Never assume, it is all to easy to look like a beast of burden ;)

This seems to be yet another reason why Serif should definitely NOT try to enter the Linux market. Vision impairment xD

I think our Linux friends spend too much time playing with their OS and it turns them partially blind.

1/ It has been said hundreds of times that Serif aren’t going to port to Linux.

2/ It has been said hundreds of times why they aren’t going to port to Linux.

3/ There is a Staff logo beneath the avatar of staff members (which @InfoCentral does not have).

All of the above seem to have been missed.

I could imagine Serif spending thousands on advertising only for Linux users to say Affinity what ? :S

I hope I haven’t offended any of them. Oh, of course, they won’t see this post. xD

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, NNois said:

So If tomorrow let says a big studio contact serif and put enough money on the table I assure you Serif will make the conversion.

Let me paraphrase that - "If it was commercially advantageous for Serif they'd make the conversion".

1/  Serif know this

2/ They're not making the conversion

What does that tell you?

As an aside, some might question the wisdom of being so dependent on a single customer.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 9/2/2018 at 2:29 PM, msdobrescu said:

Now I see why you don't run Linux: because you understood it wrong. Linux is not the one not supporting some software. Au contraire. Companies do not support Linux. Their choice, their loss.

Nope Linux does not support the software for the software is written but cannot run on Linux. Simples really - Linux cannot run stuff written for Windows or Mac. Of course the devs could port the software across but they do not want to, they are happy having their market in Windows/Mac. That is a business decision. Of course, none of this stops a business moving across into the Linux world if there is a commercial driver but I do not see that happening in respectof people like Serif. I gave Linux up for that reason - there were no mainstream software companies developing apps for Linux, at least not the apps I wanted. The open source alternatives did not meet my requirements and/or took far too long to develop. I therefore exercised choice and moved away.

I see people here coming bluntly and saying "Serif will do that, Serif won't do other". Well, I know what Serif states, but I don't understand why serif allows them to speach for itself, as they are no employees and not empowered to carry Serif's interests. Or are they?

27 minutes ago, ColinG said:

Nope Linux does not support the software for the software is written but cannot run on Linux. Simples really - Linux cannot run stuff written for Windows or Mac.

I see also people twisting other people statements. I have not even relied on Wine or Darling to run Windows/Mac applications, neither stated Linux will run Windows/Mac software.

I am stating it is possible to have reliable Linux apps in any fields, if you like, I have asked for Linux support to several companies for some of their products, I have explained facts and why it is possible. My bad. There are people here that simply troll Linux users or adopters with things that are their opinions regarding Linux and what will happen to it and to companies producing commercial software for it. I am sorry, I would not even provide a response to those, but, really, I can't avoid that when some statements are so illogical.

I try to be as delicate as possible.

Please forgive me.

I am sure that Serif staff on behalf of the company have said no to Linux, it is not just  "us". The reaction here I think is born of the frustration that this matter has not been allowed to rest there. If I were a mod on this Forum I would have killed this thread long ago; it adds nothing to what is a user forum.

58 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

I see people here coming bluntly and saying "Serif will do that, Serif won't do other". Well, I know what Serif states, but I don't understand why serif allows them to speach for itself, as they are no employees and not empowered to carry Serif's interests. Or are they?

Serif's employees are identified as such - the answer to "Or are they?" is a simple no.  The reason people seem to be siding with them is that their position makes sense!  Whether or not something can be run under Linux, whether or not an application can be developed at some arbitrarily determined cost, and whether or not there's some sort of market for it doesn't matter - the people whose job it is to gather the data have gathered it, the people whose job it is to analyse the data have analysed it, and the people whose job it is to make business decisions have made them.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

So, presumably you talking for dozens of Linux users and saying they will spend their money on Affinity products is OK? The people who say what Serif will do are not speaking for them (like you are for Linux users) merely repeating what they say. It is public knowledge, and repeating public knowledge is normal on the web. Or pretty much anywhere for that matter.

I have seen plenty of commitments of Linux users money, but no firm commitments from anyone, apart from a handful of Linux users who could definitely be considered trolls.

So before you start accusing people here of trolling Linux users, bear in mind that you have come here, to an Affinity forum, uninvited. Affinity users here are not pestering Linux users on their websites. Linux users who come here are pestering Serif to create Linux versions, even though that would be bad for the loyal users here who have already supported Serif by spending money.

What have you actually done for the benefit of Serif and Affinity users? 

It’s not our problem that you made a bad decision by installing an OS that is next to useless because there is no decent software. You didn’t even pay for that!

p.s. I see you have made over 70 posts.

Do you actually own any Serif products? Do you have a question for a questions forum that has not been answered, several times over? What part of No don’t you understand or are your 70 plus posts just trolling?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I see people here coming bluntly and saying "Serif will do that, Serif won't do other". Well, I know what Serif states, but I don't understand why serif allows them to speach for itself, as they are no employees and not empowered to carry Serif's interests.

If you know what Serif states, it is exceedingly difficult to accept that you do not also know why they allow forum users to repeat it. 

Affinity Photo