You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

27 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

we're not the only English speaking country going through some political craziness at the moment

At least you can vote yours out in a couple of years. Looks like we're stuck with Brexit.

27 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

What's up with the Anglosphere, yall? When we go totes cray? Why'd it happen all at once? 

Whole world going doolally.

spam-tin.jpg.c98c4d25d634a7ba78fe7e150294b527.jpg

Fritters are good if you can get the flour.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Jesus the salt about Linux is astonishing. And the slander against open source software and developers too.

I'm a full time developer at my company, a one man army really (unfortunately for my sanity), I do UX, web development, devOps, just about everything not media production related.

Our current stack is mainly made out of Node and React, which are currently some of the leading technologies in this field. We also use Gitlab, Docker, WordPress, Nginx, Webpack, and other open source software backed by companies like Canonical, Docker Inc., Facebook, Twitter, AirBnB, Google, Automattic and so on. Software written by professionals and people giving out their free time to improve the web development world.

I also happen to have a degree in graphic design, with a thesis on UX. So I've been training for years on the Creative Suite, and I did courses on rendering and animation (a bit of AutoCAD, and a lot of 3DS Max and Blender) and movie making (with Adobe Premiere).

I used all OSs, just about every major version, though I stopped using Macs in 2013 because the value proposition just isn't cutting it.

Programming in Windows is a pain. I do my code in Visual Studio Code, a surprisingly open-source editor by Microsoft based on open-source libraries. It does not work easily with OpenSSH and Git (both OSS) on Windows. Git, Webpack, Yarn and NPM also happen to be really, reeeeally slow on Windows, because Defender is super annoying, and it has some strange issues with SSH itself, never really integrating itself without using PowerShell. Docker on Windows also uses VirtualBox (one more OSS software backed by a real company with real professionals) which is not the best thing. I also use 99% of the time Linux everywhere, so cmd.exe can go screw itself.

I moved some weeks ago to Linux on my desktop where I do 99% of the work, Manjaro actually (which is my favorite distro but better - Arch Linux - since I was a teen, though I've been using OS X and Windows since 2009).

So since I can't get my professional graphic design software on Linux, I did one simple thing: install a virtual machine with Windows XP and CS6, which also happen to be the last paid version of the Creative Suite from my days at university. Everything works as it should. I disabled the network interface so I never get bothered by malwares. And I'll be using it for many years since I actually lead the development so I can enforce a lower version of the software. Enable transparent mode and be done with it. I paid for it once and never pay again for it.

Such a shame Serif isn't getting my money, but I don't care. I also don't understand the fascination kids have for stuff like Sketch.

Best of both worlds, and awaiting the moment when I can go back using old Windows only for retro gaming (fun fact: audio inside virtual machines running old Windows is broken on Windows 10 and perfect on Linux).

[I'm also picking up C# and game development on Linux with the experimental Unity3d port, made by a huge company called Unity you might have heard of.]

Screenshot_20180902_065002.png

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

I did not realize computers had already become sentient! I guess now I can expect Skynet & Watson to begin eradicating us meatbags shortly. :o

Apparently, terminators all run on Linux.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, msdobrescu said:

That explains why are they so hard to defeat!:75_skull:

And not user friendly? :72_imp:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

54 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

Yeah, I imagine terminators army stopping for hours to update, as if they were running Windows.

Plus you'd hear them coming a mile off when they reboot and the startup racket plays lol!  

Here is the top 10 charts for Windows boot up sounds: http://www.alphr.com/operating-systems/1006575/we-ve-ranked-the-best-windows-startup-sounds-from-10-1-because-we-have 
Der Der Der derderder Der Der Der In at 10...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Not fair, indeed. There are three main OSes, they should be supported. I chose Linux based on facts, not on mood.

You have elected to use a system that does not support the software you wish to run. That is your choice and it is therefore your problem. If you need the software that much move to Windows or Mac. I played with Linux for years, ran it for a while as my main desktop and finally ditched it because it could not run the software I needed. 

23 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Not fair, indeed. There are three main OSes, they should be supported. I chose Linux based on facts, not on mood.

That would of course be ignoring Android, which has to be the most used OS known to man, or woman?

My vote is for a mini Android version before Linux. At least Android users spend money so it makes much more commercial sense.

Now Publisher is out, there must be a lot of very talented Serif programmers with time on their hands ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

mzzfdrc, welcome to my club! B|

But try to be more delicate, there are faint hearts here... Screenshots like that might harm them. So you say there are more than pure designers using graphic tools professionally? Like geeks. Hmm, that might be unexpected. 9_9

Sure there are, lol.

Full stack development has been a big thing for like 8-9 years now. And whether you do LAMP or MERN or MEAN or whatever, you're doing OSS in a way or another (even by inner sourcing), dealing with tools and libraries meant to be running on Linux. Microsoft had to make the Linux subsystem for Windows and Bash for Windows for a reason: developers had enough and are moving away, many to macOS because of the Creative Suite, and also some to Linux. We do have to deal with graphic files too, or in my case, we work inside such programs too, so we have to use workarounds, though my Windows XP machine starts fast AF (under 20 seconds) and I could sometimes remember to freeze it instead of just powering it off lol.

Professionals in the devops field just use Linux. Developers use Unix in general so they can deal with Apple shenanigans and Adobe. Using Linux or Unix on a desktop is added pleasure because everything is just better and more explicative - no more "you aren't admin" or "error 0xsomething refer to this outdated knowledge base". You're the actual owner of your machine.

Supporting OSS is a no brainer. Millions of people in the world use Chrome, Firefox to do their jobs. Entire industries flourish on it.

1 hour ago, ColinG said:

You have elected to use a system that does not support the software you wish to run. That is your choice and it is therefore your problem. If you need the software that much move to Windows or Mac. I played with Linux for years, ran it for a while as my main desktop and finally ditched it because it could not run the software I needed. 

Let me fix that for you: you have elected to use a system that the software you wish to run does not support.

I don't think Linus Torvalds said "Affinity Designer? Not on my kernel!"

23 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

R C-R is not a member of Staff, but I am 

That’s a very strange index! It goes from ‘Adam’ to ‘TonyBAdmin’, and then goes back to the beginning of the alphabet for ‘acapstick’ to ‘Zooms’. :S

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, SrPx said:

Win 10 is no biggie for me, no real issue in any way, at all. If anything in all the tests that affect my work , is more stable, uses better resources and memory than Win 7.

The main problem with Win 10 is that Microsoft keep releasing updates which show signs of not having been sufficiently thoroughly tested, and most users can’t prevent those updates being applied. I don’t recall having, or reading about, similar problems with Win 7.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

One more point I forgot about:

They might be missing a business opportunity to port their software to Linux and market it to those brave enough to try moving away from Windows (and probably in the "experimental" mindset already). Even if just 100k designers (less than 1% of CC users)  tried Linux and Affinity, it's still 5.5m euros to be made. I can see it being suggested as an alternative to students who do not want to deal with Windows and have no money for Mac - I'd be suggesting it to friends for sure. Is it not enough for a port? The Linux community happily does QA for software, thousands are working on the Steam Play compatibility since it came out last month.

4 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

mzzfdrc, welcome to my club! B|

But try to be more delicate, there are faint hearts here...

Lol. Remember some of us have handled and installed for decades linux distros in a bunch of machines.... :P   (and and used VMs of Windows inside Linux, using both VMware and VirtualBox.). BTW, I have been at 4 game developers, as a game artist and other things,... all was done in Windows, using C++ and later C#. Well, and a collection of other languages, script, etc. (been also a front-end (CSS, XHTML, ROR, Git, handling both Windows and Linux servers)), when it was not called like that, and later in the beginnings of it, too). Web development is taking a long chunk of programming but it is not the entire development world. And so, not all coding goes under Linux.

About the salt... I see waaaay  more anger and unhappiness in the linux side...  :P 

Screenshots like that might harm them. So you say there are more than pure designers using graphic tools professionally? Like geeks. Hmm, that might be unexpected. 9_9

I am not sure if I understood that (mostly as it could have several meanings). And defining what is a pure designer would be a funny task...I'd bring my popcorn....

BTW, windows update service can be disabled so to update in the time you want,  and there are several ways to disable Defender...I trust quite more other third party antivirus and anti malware utilities. In terms of firewall, I just configure properly the router.... (and yes, I know a lot of windows users do not do it...)

Edit: Yepp, I did install a Slackware 1.0 and that's 1993.... But later on I  went all the way with Red Hat. (always testing other flavors, out of curiosity, tho)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The main problem with Win 10 is that Microsoft keep releasing updates which show signs of not having been sufficiently thoroughly tested, and most users can’t prevent those updates being applied. I don’t recall having, or reading about, similar problems with Win 7.

That is entirely true. There are complaints (and even a very serious letter to MS, from admin professionals, requesting to fix how badly updates are being lately, to change that route inside MS )  from several quite respected gurus in Windows admin and patching....  If anything, THAT is indeed the stuff that I find more weird in Windows, more than a lot of other typical ones, which are generally very easy to solve/address....  Even with this matter, there are always ways around it.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

...ehm....yes, there have been too updates in WIn 7 and 8.1 breaking stuff, and needing a fast patch after that (not that this is uncommon in software development, in general! ). Just it seems the update team in MS has gone a bit the way of the Dodo, lately...

2 hours ago, ColinG said:

Now I see why you don't run Linux: because you understood it wrong. Linux is not the one not supporting some software. Au contraire. Companies do not support Linux. Their choice, their loss.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

That would of course be ignoring Android, which has to be the most used OS known to man, or woman?

My vote is for a mini Android version before Linux. At least Android users spend money so it makes much more commercial sense.

Now Publisher is out, there must be a lot of very talented Serif programmers with time on their hands ;)

Android is Linux.

SrPx, as being so kind and nice and balanced, I answer you this, as you deserve an explanation: there are important Linux segments that need those tools. I don't agree wih the opinion of Linux having no consistent business segment or having none or all. Some here are saying there is no value in Linux etc.. It is, even though they accept it or not. There are many guys making big  money or making a living with Linux. If a company can't or doesn't take it into account, it's other story.

A "pure designer" is one with a degree in design, knowing to do design for some field and making a living from it by simply drawing stuff in 2d or 3d tools. But there are crossovers, like software developers that need to design UIs, which are technical and often need to work on some other OS that their tools are built for. For these, it's a pain to maintain several OS'es just to do their job.

59 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

Now I see why you don't run Linux: because you understood it wrong. Linux is not the one not supporting some software. Au contraire. Companies do not support Linux. Their choice, their loss.

It is their choice to make, based on their estimation of the profit or loss they would make if they developed, marketed, & supported software for Linux. If you do not understand that, or why Serif has chosen not to do this, then you will not understand why all these posts that reiterate the same points over & over that they have already rejected as insufficient to justify doing that are just a waste of your time & theirs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R, stop talking truisms. I am not discussing Serif's choice. It's my duty to myself to support my opinions. It's simple to accuse Linux for all the evil in the IT world for just not being properly managed by some users or developers. And yes, it is not as bad as some might want it to be. Just read carefully what @mzzfdrc wrote, as he said it so accurately.