You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Absolutely untrue. When you take Social media and emails to us into account we see lots of requests on a weekly basis. The most popular requests are 

1. When Publisher (release)?
  2. When DAM?
  3. When Web Publisher ?
  4. When After Effects replacement?
    and then
  5. When Lunix / Android / iPhone? all about the same amount.

I was referring to the forum.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff
1 minute ago, msdobrescu said:

users look to replace Adobe's products? Why?

We don't ask them as we are not making Adobe product replacements.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We don't ask them as we are not making Adobe product replacements.

3 minutes ago, verysame said:

You do, even though indirectly, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer could replace Photoshop or Illustrator, basically, regardless it is not your purpose.

2 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

And for me Windows is something big and slow for no reason. I've had a lot of comedy, lately, from it, still not laughing.

Well, I agree that Windows is big and slow. Win 7 was good and Win 10 is not.

However, in around 30 years of professional computer use, I have been using Windows since 3.11.

I've never had any real problems with it. Updating Win 10 can be painfully slow, so I disabled it until I have to.

I tried Linux twice and spent more time (unsuccessfully) trying to do anything productive with it.

So, 30 years of successful commercial earnings minus maybe one week overall of installing, updating, fixing Windows (on my own). Versus 2 or 3 days of totally wasted time on Linux (with technical help). A 100% failure rate.

Hmm, tough call ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

12 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

So you say the users look to replace Adobe's products? Why

I don't think anybody here actually said that?

Nearly all user who do want to replace Adobe's products say exactly the same. Cost! 

Perhaps the oldest reason in the book.

And they don't like the subscription thing.

In the company I work for, Windows failed hard lately. Linux worked well every time.

It depends on what you do, probably.

And some famous Linux distros died in my arm in 2 hours every time.

Yet, if you are hardcore and use Arch, or lazy, as I am, and use Sabayon, it could be a success.

Windows was allright until Mr. Gates left, then chaos stroke somehow. Windows 10 is better than 7, when it works...

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

Well, I agree that Windows is big and slow. Win 7 was good and Win 10 is not.

However, in around 30 years of professional computer use, I have been using Windows since 3.11.

I've never had any real problems with it. Updating Win 10 can be painfully slow, so I disabled it until I have to.

I tried Linux twice and spent more time (unsuccessfully) trying to do anything productive with it.

So, 30 years of successful commercial earnings minus maybe one week overall of installing, updating, fixing Windows (on my own). Versus 2 or 3 days of totally wasted time on Linux (with technical help). A 100% failure rate.

Hmm, tough call ;)

I have been using Win7 for a long time and never wanted to switch to Win10.

I bought a new computer and Win10 was pre-installed. I must admit, the best OS experience ever among the one I have used, from MacOS to Win (from 3.1 on).

For the first time, I really don't have to think about the OS, cleaning, maintenance, etc. The OS feels definitely faster, more responsive than any other Windows I used and the integration between Cortana, Edge and the other devices (in my case my Note8) it's a very handy feature. Last but not least, despite a few left over from the previous OS, the interface is finally pleasant.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

3 minutes ago, toltec said:

I don't think anybody here actually said that?

Nearly all user who do want to replace Adobe's products say exactly the same. Cost! 

Perhaps the oldest reason in the book.

And they don't like the subscription thing.

See, this is why we repeat so much :)

18 minutes ago, verysame said:

The emphasis is mine. Doesn't matter who said, users seem to ask this, right?

It's not about failing, all computers fail. I had more trouble with Macs over the years and couldn't do anything.

It's about producing and making money. In graphics, photography or the print trade, I have never been able to produce anything on Linux. So what's the point of it? It is useless to me.

I know some people use it for some things. But this forum is for Affinity Graphics programs, not internet stuff or niche markets.

6 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

See, this is why we repeat so much :)

The emphasis is mine. Doesn't matter who said, users seem to ask this, right?

I didn't.

Andrew
-

1 minute ago, verysame said:

I didn't.

Right, my bad, Patrick Connor said that.

39 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Absolutely untrue. When you take Social media and emails to us into account we see lots of requests on a weekly basis. The most popular requests are 

1. When Publisher (release)?
  2. When DAM?
  3. When Web Publisher ?
    and then
  5. When Lunix / Android / iPhone? all about the same amount.

7 minutes ago, verysame said:

I have been using Win7 for a long time and never wanted to switch to Win10.

Yes, I am in full agreement. Windows 7 was the best OS they did. 

The trouble is, they messed Windows up with Windows 8 and couldn't really go back to Windows 7. So they introduced Windows 10 to cover up the Windows 8 crap instead. 

So basically we have Windows 7.1 with loads of rubbish underneath.

19 minutes ago, toltec said:

Yes, I am in full agreement. Windows 7 was the best OS they did. 

The trouble is, they messed Windows up with Windows 8 and couldn't really go back to Windows 7. So they introduced Windows 10 to cover up the Windows 8 crap instead. 

So basically we have Windows 7.1 with loads of rubbish underneath.

Nope. There are 8 and 8.1 which rewrote the kernel radically, one at system level, one at user level. Then we've got 10, with some partial UI replacement several times (I don't discuss the Metro UI here, just the window system and management stuff - control panel being still partially replaced or duplicated). But most important, driver architecture. That made impossible to have backward compatibility for 7, so they made us 10 dependent on new devices. And 8 to 10 added all kinds of user spying, so, now, each operation is sent to Microsoft at least. If you install a firewall, you can see that. For instance, today I have processed my holiday photos and I've opened them in Windows photo application several times. Each time it was sending something over the Internet. For every image. And so on...

59 minutes ago, toltec said:

How long has it been since you've last fired it up? While I won't deny that there are still the rare occasional moments where you just want to reach through your monitor and backhand it, the whole Linux user experience has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years. 

9 hours ago, Renzatic said:

How long has it been since you've last fired it up? While I won't deny that there are still the rare occasional moments where you just want to reach through your monitor and backhand it, the whole Linux user experience has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years. 

6 months, give or take.

I did actually try to set up a Mint based machine for a mate (a moment of weakness ;)). A few months before that I set up a dual boot laptop for my daughter, but she never uses Linux, she much prefers Windows 7 or  Windows 10 at home. Go figure !

All my mate wanted was a cheap reliable machine for reading e-mails and managing his music library and for such simple stuff I thought Linux was the best choice.

It was a real pig to do though because there were massive problems with nvidia drivers and Mint at the time (fixed?). I eventually installed Ubuntu but the operation took the best part of a day for such a simple use. I could have gone to my local PC shop and bought a working PC laptop much cheaper than my time was worth (or was before I retired).

Such a lot of wasted time with Linux, again.

99% of computer users just want an off the shelf PC that works like an off the shelf TV and runs great software.  Let's face it, that will never happen with Linux !!!!!

Edit: Forgot the users bit

34 minutes ago, toltec said:

All my mate wanted was a cheap reliable machine for reading e-mails and managing his music library and for such simple stuff I thought Linux was the best choice.

It was a real pig to do though because there were massive problems with nvidia drivers and Mint at the time (fixed?). I eventually installed Ubuntu but the operation took the best part of a day for such a simple use. I could have gone to my local PC shop and bought a working PC laptop much cheaper than my time was worth (or was before I retired).

It really depends on the machine, and the whims of fate really. Whenever I feel the urge to dip into Linux Land, I almost always go for Ubuntu or Antergos. They're both solid from my experiences, and have tons of support. On my computers I can get them up and running from first booting off the thumb drive to ready to use, proprietary drivers and all, within 20-30 minutes or so.

...but then I decide to do the same with some random computer, and the whole process is like beating my head against a wall. That 20 minutes becomes 3 hours minimum as I read through forum post after forum post after forum post of why version X of the Linux kernel that's used in distro Y doesn't like random piece of hardware Z, and then figuring out why the usual recommended fixes for this problem don't work with distro Y's setup, and have to search through forum post after forum post for a workaround. It'd be more fun pulling my teeth out of my head with a pair of rusty pliers. 

This is why I usually say that there are no small problems in Linux. Most people take that as me saying that it's easy to use, and always bug free. No. I'm saying that it either works perfectly, or your computer's on fire. There are no in-betweens.

Guess you just happened to have the bad luck of landing on the bad side of that coin whenever you tried it.

4 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Guess you just happened to have the bad luck of landing on the bad side of that coin whenever you tried it.

Not every time. Mint installed flawlessly on my daughters laptop. I had everything set up in an hour or so, including software on Linux and Windows sides.

But one out of three is too much aggro. If I buy a Windows PC I am guaranteed it will work out of the box (and it will run Affinity software :D) and it will be guaranteed for one year or more.

In fact, not long ago I bought a beast of an i7 with loads of memory, an SSD etc. So I took out a 3 year on-site maintenance contract (for quite small money). I ended up with a machine that worked out of the box and has on-site repair and maintenance. I back up regularly, keep anti-virus up to date and everything has worked flawlessly, so far.

I keep my trusty Windows 7 machine on hand as a backup. If the beast goes wrong, I dial a number which is about all I will ever need to do. I just can't be bothered to fiddle with computers any more. In three years time I will probably buy an i12 and use my i7 as a back-up machine. 

You just can't do that with Linux.

I have started with Mandrake, that become Mandriva and more than 10 years ago it installed fine and I have even moved it with the HDD to another machine and worked as a charm. In the last 7 years I've switched on a PC and an Nvidia Optimus based Laptop to Sabayon, which is rolling release, so I have updated them from version 5, to 15, nowadays. I also have a headless NAS with Atom + Ion for media, with Mageia, the fork of Mandriva, using Webmin to manage it. Also updated yearly from version 1 to 6. Sorry to dissapoint you, but they work wonderfully. My external Creative sound card works better on Linux, under Windows I always have issues with their console, that is truly unresponsive. I also have a Hauppauge TV tuner that works fine under Linux. On Windows it does not start unless I plug it again or restart the system once (works on even boots...).

1 minute ago, msdobrescu said:

I have started with Mandrake, that become Mandriva and more than 10 years ago 

Yes, but how much time have you spent learning all this, installing and setting it up?

Over the last 10 years with Windows I have spent maybe one day, installing software mainly.

The rest of the time I spent earning money. I estimate that two hours work (that I am expert in), pays for a three year on-site maintenance contract for my PC.

I didn't build my own car or service it myself either.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

99% of computers just want an off the shelf PC that works like an off the shelf TV and runs great software.

I did not realize computers had already become sentient! I guess now I can expect Skynet & Watson to begin eradicating us meatbags shortly. :o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, Mandrake had a graphic installer, I have chosen several thing just as in Windows, like host name, Internet connection type and account, user name some apps.

It also had a graphic installer to reinstall, using the current configuration, to fix the boot. There was a control panel like applet. It also had a tool that monitored to system and restored things in case I made some wild rights replacement by misake and did more than safe settings - it also had a UI to override and set these. Was pretty straightforward. They've tried hard to help Windows users to migrate. I have learned to manage it fast. Later, I've tried what you suggested, I've built a linux from scratch, a Gentoo. With their documantation, worked, but I had to compile everything. I did not have issues. Am I too geek? Was I lucky? Both? No idea. The Linux difficult times I remember were in 95. Even then, I remember a Windows UI clone that was KDE.

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I did not realize computers had already become sentient! I guess now I can expect Skynet & Watson to begin eradicating us meatbags shortly. :o

You didn't know? I've already starting buying pallets of canned ravioli and bottled water in preparation for the apocalypse.

This is the type of stuff you need to keep up to date on, man. You really don't want something like this sneaking up on you. If you don't, you're gonna end up like everyone else, out fighting in the streets over the last bag of beef jerky.

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

I've already starting buying pallets of canned ravioli and bottled water in preparation for the apocalypse.

I've started buying them in preparation for Brexit.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

16 minutes ago, h_d said:

I've started buying them in preparation for Brexit.

Yeah, the thought of that's gotta sting a bit.

Though it might be a bit selfish for me to say, it is at least somewhat reassuring knowing that we're not the only English speaking country going through some political craziness at the moment. If our little trade war keeps escalating, the end result will probably end up making Brexit look like a pancake breakfast in comparison.

Australia's also going through some of its own weirdness too, I hear.

What's up with the Anglosphere, yall? When we go totes cray? Why'd it happen all at once?