You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

3 hours ago, Dethroc said:

I think one simple thing: I'm a GNU/Linux user. I'd buyed Affinity. I can't use it because I need a WIndows or Mac. That is not fair. I'm adapted to use InkScape, but Affinity is much more intuitive and easy to use.

That's it.

Regards

Why is it not fair? Affinity is not developed for Linux, never has been and apparently never will be. You chose Linux of your own free will and the consequence is you cannot run Affinity. You cannot run Phptoshop, Lightroom, CaptureOne and many other pieces of software either - is that unfair?

13 hours ago, Dethroc said:

I can't use it because I need a WIndows or Mac. That is not fair.

Would it be fair to the million or so people who have already bought one or more of the Mac or Windows products if Serif diverted its limited resources from further development of those profitable products to developing Linux versions? Would it be fair to the employees of the company if doing that resulted in losses that forced layoffs & downsizing the company?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There was once ~three years ago the Bloom Image Editor which not only was marketed as a Photoshop contender
but also had offered a (back then) remarkably amazing nondestructive workflow.
OrmrScreenshot2.jpg
http://www.thebloomapp.com/features/
It was (and still is) available for Windows,Linux and Mac.
Sadly thou since 2016 there are no more updates for it available and to my knowledge, it never really catched on.
I suspect that`s not only the UIs fault but mainly due to the many bugs which Bloom had and the severe lack of Tutorials.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

On 8/29/2018 at 11:55 AM, ColinG said:

Why is it not fair? Affinity is not developed for Linux, never has been and apparently never will be. You chose Linux of your own free will and the consequence is you cannot run Affinity. You cannot run Phptoshop, Lightroom, CaptureOne and many other pieces of software either - is that unfair?

Not fair, indeed. There are three main OSes, they should be supported. I chose Linux based on facts, not on mood.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:17 PM, R C-R said:

Would it be fair to the million or so people who have already bought one or more of the Mac or Windows products if Serif diverted its limited resources from further development of those profitable products to developing Linux versions? Would it be fair to the employees of the company if doing that resulted in losses that forced layoffs & downsizing the company?

Please clarify it for me, are you Affinity/Serif staff?

• Staff
7 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

R C-R is not a member of Staff, but I am 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 8/30/2018 at 1:52 PM, myclay said:

There was once ~three years ago the Bloom Image Editor which not only was marketed as a Photoshop contender
but also had offered a (back then) remarkably amazing nondestructive workflow.
OrmrScreenshot2.jpg
http://www.thebloomapp.com/features/
It was (and still is) available for Windows,Linux and Mac.
Sadly thou since 2016 there are no more updates for it available and to my knowledge, it never really catched on.
I suspect that`s not only the UIs fault but mainly due to the many bugs which Bloom had and the severe lack of Tutorials.

Interesting. Maybe has no good promotion. Is there some review anywhere? With this name is hard to find one.

6 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

Nope. That should be obvious at a glance because there is no Staff icon below my name like there is for @Patrick Connor above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

Right, I knew that. IMHO, you should be, in order to make assumptions on how things would deveop in such case, even they were right.

I was not assuming anything, just reiterating things the staff have already mentioned several times about why there are no plans to develop Linux versions, which they began doing many pages ago in this now very long topic.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I was not assuming anything, just reiterating things the staff have already mentioned several times about why there are no plans to develop Linux versions, which they began doing many pages ago in this now very long topic.

Right. I know all these. Let them do it if they feel it.

1 hour ago, msdobrescu said:

Not fair, indeed. There are three main OSes, they should be supported. I chose Linux based on facts, not on mood.

The "fact" is, Linux has essentially no professional software support.

That "fact" is the basis of why I choose NOT to use Linux. I prefer to use top quality software (like Affinity) on my computer, I don't play around with, or care about, the OS. In 'fact' the OS should be invisible.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I agree, the OS should be invisible to the non-technical user. This is probably the OS X case. Windows became so visible lately...

Still, as long as a designer needs to be sure of color calibration, tablet tuning, RAM and process optimization to make more room for your tools etc., more and more technical knowledge is needed. Or if you need automation of some kind... well, it starts hurting.

I don't have a single of those....pains (having to change some settings, some deep ones... yeah, like always).... With 4 windows 10 installed of family members, and at least a pair of those make way more than an average jane/joe use, that's for certain. I have used it with fully professional software my self, zero remarkable (there's no OS without issues. No such thing) issues.  Like in Linux, is exactly all about knowing what to do and how to , to avoid obstacles. Calibrating the color is super easy (again, if the user knows how to calibrate by hardware and software, of course) under Windows. Like most stuff in computers, is stuff that has a learning curve the first time, but then is just a matter of slight updates of knowledge or skills.

Lately Windows is not more complex or cumbersome. In comparison, Windows Me, or Vista were a tad more so (unstable, unpredictable, lower performing, which at least at that previous scale of things, were real issues), and way more annoying. I'm stating my point of view, just like you do... just like R C -R does. He or us, have a right to do so. It is imo not such a kind of thing (there are others which could be, but I don't remember any of the type) that can or can't be expressed, if respectful, or that would be reserved only to the staff. Always that we do not state things as said by them if they haven't been so. But seems ain't the case.

One could say , well it has been said many times already, and surprises me every single time, that we sound repetitive. Juuuust the same than every linux supporter around here (but like many other things, they don't see the repetition in their side, hehehe). Besides is even not allowed in other communities (I've been decades in Linux based communities, and mods here are WAY more tolerant than in a bunch of those, Blender ones included)  to insist in something that is said to be against the plans of the forums company, and it is still gently allowed here, for ever,  (some can understand is as being rude, not even saying hello, to shout an angry statement as a first post! maybe I am a gentleman of certain age now... specially from total newcomers (not you, of course, I mean,  you are not a newcomer, now ;) )  Trust me, the arguments are close to identical most of the times. The excuse of being posted by different people (well, that is what is polite to asume, I am not an admin, I don't see the IPs  of many one-post-and-leaves...) is not such a good reason to repeat the same arguments over and over, as everybody can read the past pages, and if gonna complain, the polite thing is to at least read the previous.... Trust me, there's more repetition than in some 80s TV shows episodes, if you are old enough to remember those...  And even so, we all deal with that with patience... So, therefor my surprise when the actual Linux users acuse us to answer similar responses to just the same points over and over again....when the questions and POVs from the Linux side rarely differ in cosmetic bits.... I myself make at least an effort to use new POVs every time, and even put myself in the other side, just to try and make it a bit richer... And this all is connected to the "right" of R C -R or anyone else to reply in a similar way than before.  Or me or any other, to reply in the same line of argument, even with interesting twists every time (there resides the richness, but a lot of ppl miss it ;D )... My great old grand father, he had an interesting and also hard life.... When he was accused to answer always the same things, he'd reply "Yes, that's how you know I'm telling you the tuth..."

But from a practical POV, no matter how I deal with it, as someone everyday day (but mixing wit many other tasks) doing printing works, stuff that needs very high compatibility with clients' Windows based workflows, and very large etc, the conclusion is outstandingly clear... besides never liking a lot of things in Windows (maybe the difference with my point is: Other issues , more usability related were much more painful and unpractical in older Windows versions, and the new issues, I don't care that much as a lot of the new Linux users -heck, again, not calling you new in any sense...u seem quite different from the other crowd- ;D ) ... Win 10 is no biggie for me, no real issue in any way, at all. If anything in all the tests that affect my work , is more stable, uses better resources and memory than Win 7. Plus a ton of hardware and software is already requiring Win 10 as a minimum. This ends up happening in every OS, also. U need to patch and update, no matter what (I refer to a Linux admin expert in certain security conference not long ago, with the CPUs huge holes stuff.... "Patch your stuff! " , she shouted, referring to Linux. Maybe is, just like happens with you in Linux, that I am so, so used to fix my own and other people's systems, that no issue is big in Windows. And there's plenty of support for any pro workflow. That's just all that counts for me now, I'm afraid. And users are a dumb mass, but very predictable. Give 'em an OS easy to handle, and able to work with pro solutions (the user wanting to be dumb with the OS is not only the average Joe/Jane, is often too, the pro) with all support and stuff, at least just up to the level in Win or Mac OS, and you will have automatically the masses (and so, businesses interest, and ports) there in Linux, no matter what, specially if keeps being free as people go to free like bees to honey.  If they aren't there in any commercial level number, then it is so obvious that this is not the situation, yet. Is it gonna ever be? Frankly, have no freaking idea. I think it is too valiant/risky to say "never" (and would be sad thinking so, as well). Mindset often changes once hits the wall a dozen times, so, if that happens in Linux world, they'll start doing the things needed (I explained on detail in previous posts which are those, always IMHO ) to get the users in. And then, totally, it could even easily beat Mac OS and Windows, in a heartbeat.

So...yeah, I'm sorry to differ here with quite a clever poster, but IMO R C -R has every right to just remember a statement from a staff member (IF he is accurate, but he's one of the most accurate posters (there's never a 100%  ;) ...and perfection is boring and overrated :p . He adds sometimes some inaccuracy for making people feel good and important)   around here about every matter... :D )  indeed, if kind of "might" (dunno) avoid one minute of time of re-posting yet-once-again the same company answer to whoever company member, then that's not really terrible, at least in my humble opinion. Not that the company needs it, tho, of course....They are tolerant with this, too...

Not fair, indeed. There are three main OSes, they should be supported. 

This is another point I find really hard to actually agree with. I try, believe me.

"Fair"  (and "should").. is usually referred to a moral obligation. There's freaking none for a company or an entity not being part of the public administration. Now, if you would ask me, as I have been a strong promoter of Linux in those (public admin departments), when I had a chance to work close to them! in a lot of sections of the admin, they truly don't need other than Linux, and would save TONS of taxes that we pay. There's laziness there, as, while in some places is a no-go as is needed total compatibility with MS Office (I use only Libre Office for Windows, now, and no, is not 100% compatible, MS's fault here, but they're "protecting" their business.... (I do NOT defend them in this point, tho...But I understand pretty well what they do in the world we live in) . And well, I don't fight it anymore, my sister works there now.... Is like the Sisyphus myth, that one, just like in the matter we are debating, the resistance to learn Linux from Mac/Win users makes it often impossible. When bosses are really decided to force it, it is doable, but it requires a lot of factors to play simultaneously.

But for a private business... and while I'm not a right winged person, I solidly understand (having been for long a freelancer) the issues and enormous difficulties that faces a business owner, it's their project, their effort and investment,  and absolutely their call. Certainly no moral rights involved here to be claimed by others in the matter of telling them how to conduct their business. Well, if they were doing something ilegal, or just immoral, we would be able to say this or that is not fair. Of course, not the case. The OS/OSes of choice, to produce their apps for and/or which to develop on (is like speaking about moral obligations related to which color to paint their meeting rooms walls!) .. I mean.... Then you could ask to dismantle the entire world network of companies making iOS apps -only, or Mac OS only, or even some just doing some ports to some weird platforms.  There is zero moral obligation, here. They can develop in the OS that they prefer to do so. It would be as crazy to ask Linux only developers to develop apps for MS Windows Store, don't you think ?? It would be.  I have not read miles long threads about not being "fair" in the opposite case, and there have been a load -still are- of Linux-only projects even negating with strong words any port to Windows! Shall we say it is "not fair", if they don't make versions for us, Windows users?  Heck, no. To each his/her own. Linux movement is all about freedom. Or are we changing that, now, for convenience? I would have serious doubts on their commercial plan, if anything (when I see commercial software produced only for Linux), and if actually doing it as a business, but wouldn't dare to say it is "unfair"... ever. Of course you can do so, though, again to each his own, but I think it'd be a bit of an empty accusation.

If instead of fair, is said, impractical, well, I could understand it better, if someone thinks Linux user base is massive. But I myself wont repeat the arguments about that here, as it has been assumed the facts long ago, even by many linux users in this conversation...

You might not agree, but I put my effort to explain my reasons... just like you do....  ;) 

Sorry for the long post...   :S

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:17 PM, R C-R said:

I didn't know the user base was already a million. Where can I see that information?

To be fair, the same goes for the users who bought APhoto and ADesigner considered the limited resources being assigned to Publisher as well unless it's a different team which, from a Linux user standpoint, begs the question then why not a Linux team? I'm not interested, by the way, I'm not a Linux user, just playing the devil's advocate here.

Anyway, maybe an official statement on Serif's website on why Serif is not interested in developing a Linux version would help the communication.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

5 minutes ago, verysame said:

Anyway, maybe an official statement on Serif's website on why Serif is not interested in developing a Linux version would help the communication.

It has been stated several times already in this thread.

Linux users just never read it !

Anyway, who does things like that ?

I don't think Microsoft have a statement why they don't develop MS Office for Linux nor do Adobe state that they don't intend to develop Photoshop.?

Both develop Mac and PC versions though.

Then I'd see complaints of people wanting as well an official Serif's website published statement of why is there not a DAM, a video editor, a sprites animator, etc. I believe they need to be cautious in those dangerous waters....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

It has been stated several times already in this thread.

Linux users just never read it !

Anyway, who does things like that ?

I don't think Microsoft have a statement why they don't develop MS Office for Linux nor do Adobe state that they don't intend to develop Photoshop.?

I'm not aware of a similar amount of requests for MS Office for Linux: Linux has already many alternatives and it seems they work just fine.

As for Photoshop, I don't think Linux users are interested in such a thing, the price tag would be definitely higher and I guess the subscription model is not appealing. I think the reason why so many Linux users are here is mainly for the cost. Anyway, was just an idea since the numbers of requests are really high here.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

5 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Then I'd see complaints of people wanting as well an official Serif's website published statement of why is there not a DAM, a video editor, a sprites animator, etc. I believe they need to be cautious in those dangerous waters....

Not really, the requests for a Linux version are definitely the highest. Luckily there are alternatives for DAM, Video Editors, etc. Actually, I'm using a DAM on Win10 developed for Linux first :)

Andrew
-

• Staff
8 minutes ago, verysame said:

the requests for a Linux version are definitely the highest

Absolutely untrue. When you take Social media and emails to us into account we see lots of requests on a weekly basis. The most popular requests are 

1. When Publisher (release)?
  2. When DAM?
  3. When Web Publisher ?
  4. When After Effects replacement?
    and then
  5. When Lunix / Android / iPhone? all about the same amount.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 minutes ago, verysame said:

I think the reason why so many Linux users are here is mainly for the cost. Anyway, was just an idea since the numbers of requests are really high here.

Not really. It's being going on a while and there has been perhaps 20 or 30 Linux users who just carry on and on.

No, it's painful for a designer what for SrPx or me is a natural thing.

And why MacOS/OS X version? This seems as little as Linux, compared to Windows user base.

Anyway, there is a Microsoft Office for Android, which is Linux, though. But LibreOffice is just as good.

Affinity suite or Photoshop/Illustrator have no match under Linux, no matter how hard I try other free tools.

Still, knowing Affinity's position on  this, my discussion is with other, non-staff,members who must have bad experiences with Linux in the past, drawn the conclusions, possibly did not try it again. It's pretty useless to tell again and again Affinity's position. I know it, I accept it, I have mine too, that's it.

It's like fighting inertia...

And for me Windows is something big and slow for no reason. I've had a lot of comedy, lately, from it, still not laughing.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Absolutely untrue. When you take Social media and emails to us into account we see lots of requests on a weekly basis. The most popular requests are 

1. When Publisher (release)?
  2. When DAM?
  3. When Web Publisher ?
  4. When After Effects replacement?
    and then
  5. When Lunix / Android / iPhone? all about the same amount.

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

Not really. It's being going on a while and there has been perhaps 20 or 30 Linux users who just carry on and on.

So you say the users look to replace Adobe's products? Why?

BTW, sorry to be apparently off-topic, but does Affinity Designer exports EPS10 that embeds the vector data in order to be editable in Illustrator as a vector again?