You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

You seem to be interested in tech, in computers. So, I guess, also in accuracy. How would you be a fantastic programmer and system administrator if not ! So, please, try to follow my notes here, I'll make it very simple :

Please, in the following page, read the section "About CMYK color and Gimp"  . I made it ieasy, is already as an anchor in the link :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GIMP/CMYK_support#About_CMYK_color_and_Gimp

Key paragraph there:  "Gimp still lacks full CMYK color model support. The ability to separate and then edit an image in CMYK mode is still a long way down the list of features to be added. However, there is a plug-in called Separate that offers a partial solution to the problem."

As I had been saying, and not only to you, not just these days I mean, Gimp has "some" CMYK support, through Separate+ plugin. But this means being able to export or soft-proofing. Extremely far from having a CMYK MODE, where you can edit in real CMYK mode. Okay ? BTW, have you ever done any work for print ? And I don't mean your home injection or laser printer.

Now, lets get deep into detail, about an important part of that paragraph....

"The ability to separate and then edit an image in CMYK mode is still a long way down the list of features to be added ".

So... sorry, but is as I told you. Let's then dig into that (as I had done long time ago, and I keep up to date about it, and about many other apps status...) 

Official GIMP roadmap, directly from them. As all the other stuff, am not inventing/making up anything, sadly (once again, I WANT Gimp to grow strong ! Very much. Not every one has money to purchase software, specially in third world, or even second world countries. I'm ALL for it. but as one another option, not the single model, as IMO we live in a world that needs both, commercial and open source. In an ideal world, we'd need only open source, but is not the case.)

https://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap

Again, I'll make it easy, jump to section "Future". I'm not going as far as to paste graphically that chunk, but yep the line :

Feature                                            Status                       Comments

High-end CMYK support                 No                        See FAQ for details

now we go to that FAQ, which I already knew, as I had visited many times in the past. And even, in other implementations of their faqs, years ago, even worded differently but showing the same "enthusiastic" motivation about adding CMYK mode to Gimp :

https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#i-do-a-lot-of-desktop-publishing-related-work-will-you-ever-support-cmyk

Key sentences :

The actual main FAQ question itself gives u already all what u need to know...
"Will you ever support CMYK?"

Self explanatory.

"Yes, better support for CMYK has been on our roadmap for a long time. "

Ok, they recognize the fact. Now is your turn to do so, as well. You are a programmer, you need to use logic, eventually.

"However this project has certain prerequisites such as the complete port of GIMP to GEGL."
OOooOOppppsss....Sounds familiar? What I told you. With GEGL CMYK "could" be added. But IMO, they are not in a rush for CMYK mode, in any case...So, your comment saying "GEGL is not the only graphic library in Linux" was totally missing the facts of the very specific matter we are talking about. In the sense, you had no real info about it, as I am seeing. Same as I'd expect you to not have much full knowledge on the business issues here, neither the technical capabilities of the Serif's developers.

"It’s worth mentioning that currently CMYK is considered by us a low-priority project. "

After that, they explain their reasons to prioritize other things, like non destructive editing and etc. And thats 200% fine !!! . i am not against that. BUT.. then do not (not you, neither them) qualify gimp as a real DTP solution, as it is very far from that. There's a very long road for Gimp to catch up in this with A. Photo, just to put an example, but there are many more in the Mac/Win environments. 

" Note that should a new developer join the team to specifically work on CMYK-related features, we will do our best to help him/her to complete this project and get it to our users as soon as possible. Now that GIMP (as of git master) has been ported to GEGL, adding better CMYK support is finally a sensible idea.  "

yet another proof that my statement about the addition, or first solid appearance in an stable Gimp version of GEGL, is good news for a FUTURE (whoever knows when, in this millennium ) was in t he very right track, and yours saying "GEGL is not the only linux graphic library" , quite missing  the point. Also, hey, they need developers to implement it ! Why, instead of trying to force Serif to do something that they do not want to do, why don't you'd go and put the same level of pressure to them to code the CMYK mode ? They seem to be asking for it... isn't Gimp that amazing? Then why are you here? If Gimp supports already CMYK, why do you need Affinity Photo, at all, which, BTW, is CLOSED source, and more likely will keep being so...What's the gain on a port of a commercial, non free, non open source software, as just a binary to Linux, opposed to help THE software for image editing in Linux, Gimp, which is open source and free ? And according to you, super powerful and on par with Win/Mac commercial applications, DTP specific included.... Why would you be here, if Gimp is so complete already ? Of course, it is so perfect that there is nothing to improve, that's why you are here ?

Excuse the sarcasm, but trust me if I tell you that the situation started to almost need it from even pages ago....Now is an absolute need....

What you pasted with very little info/detail/proof... Yep, it has CMYK sliders, but that's of no use if there is not a CMYK mode. Yep, Gimp has color management. great for RGB profiles, but not for CMYK, it can only export and soft-proof, though that plugin, but that's it. And I am not sure if you understand these matters fully as I am somehow suspecting that you are not a professional or even average freelancer in the matter of printing jobs... or even just deep enough in graphic design...

And...even as it might sound, I am not trying to bash you or attack you, or make you look bad in any possible way ! I'm trying to be ACCURATE here. And about that, GIMP IS amazing. A lot of people do not think that, many in this thread. I believe it is great, and has a very promising future, very specially since last updated, the recent 2.10. But.. all I say is that for now, it can't compete in works to be sent for print, (of course, yep for cheap digital print companies requiring just sRGB files ! And that's a bunch of online companies. But am speaking of a very large chunk, absolutely essential part of the market). I myself can handle Gimp pretty well... but for now, is mostly a tool for screen or web output. I hope at some point they realize they need to make a step further in this matter we are referring here. And then they'd be a formidable competitor. IMO, they should as well make changes on the UI. And I know it deeply. It IS slower, neutrally speaking, than other UIs, in the matter of workflow/number of clicks. 

But as I said. Gimp is a GREAT application. Indeed, I don't understand AT ALL that you so many linux fan lovers here, most quite young I'm guessing, are not just helping gimp grow stronger, proposing these same crowdfunding chimeras , and offering your coding abilities to them, instead of doing so to a commercial closed source company. the only reason behind it is... The majority of you did not take the time and effort, like I did, to get the hang of it, as i also did with Blender and Inkscape, to see its real potential. And you all believe that a closed source app, with a deserved fame of being the right PS alternative, is going to save you from your current situation. Nothing will replace the very simple thing of getting some patience with ANY app and UI, and doing fully complex projects with whatever the tool . If you reject now GIMP's UI in favor of a never comming AP linux port, at some point you will find your self stuck, just much later (because Affinity's UIs are so, so much easier and better than Gimp's, Inkscape's or Scribus', specially the difference in learning curve is big, yet) , but you WILL get stuck. As that is how it is. Doing graphics is hard. You can't get defeated and leave it be. If you don't understand how Gimp works, dig for video tutorials, or, better,  and many times faster learning, purchase (a paypal would suffice, even from some family member) from the company's site their video tutorials, or recommended learning sources, safer bet with open source, and THE BEST way to help them, together with donations. You would also be helping your self, by learning faster, and allowing your favorite tool to survive. Just be aware that, for now, you have it waaay harder to work for print stuff in Gimp. And BTW, I don't mean you can't do gigs for it. There's little CMS to help, you can use Separate+, you can export to Scribus, that has a better CMYK support, or you can just export and work for digital online print companies with RGB workflows, that have improved, so , so much that can print prototypes and final product stuff in a very high quality. Still very far from offset, CMYK based workflows, but already in a good shape to do stuff and get paid for it.

I hope that clarifies stuff a bit..... (and once again, don't get a false impression...I am a GIMP and mostly Linux lover...Everybody else knows it at this point, as I don't freaking shut up, ever, but I do use for real projects Blender (a huuuge lot), Wings 3D (open source modeler, BSD license), and have used a crazy lot in the past Inkscape, Audacity, and Gimp. )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Isn't it about time that Serif created a special category on this forum called 'Lost Causes' to which this thread could be transferred?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 hours ago, SrPx said:

Oh, please. Don't be one of those. You see some CMYK sliders  and then u conclude there IS cmyk support ???? Then.. Inkscape is FULLY CMYK supporting, following that scientific rule of yours... And while has some steps towards it, and color management, it is not.
Nope, is not really supported. I'm gonna use official sources, and VERY current (2018). Keep tuned to the next post.

As you wish ;] YES this is CMYK support - you do not read carefully very important label below sliders, info about Profile assignment.
Start of version 2.4 gimp already has Integrate ColorManagement system. ICC color profile can be import and assignment to desired color space.
 How it's work - after setting up ICC CMYK AND RGB profiles and choose the color, you can use CMYK space properly.

• Staff

Is there any chance we can keep this thread for discussing Serif not implementing a Linux build and not use it for off topic discussions of whether Gimp has or has not implemented a CMYK workflow..... #justsayin

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

20 hours ago, SrPx said:

You seem to be interested in tech, in computers. So, I guess, also in accuracy. How would you be a fantastic programmer and system administrator if not ! So, please, try to follow my notes here, I'll make it very simple :

Please, in the following page, read the section "About CMYK color and Gimp"  . I made it ieasy, is already as an anchor in the link :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GIMP/CMYK_support#About_CMYK_color_and_Gimp

Key paragraph there:  "Gimp still lacks full CMYK color model support. The ability to separate and then edit an image in CMYK mode is still a long way down the list of features to be added. However, there is a plug-in called Separate that offers a partial solution to the problem."

As I had been saying, and not only to you, not just these days I mean, Gimp has "some" CMYK support, through Separate+ plugin. But this means being able to export or soft-proofing. Extremely far from having a CMYK MODE, where you can edit in real CMYK mode. Okay ? BTW, have you ever done any work for print ? And I don't mean your home injection or laser printer.

Now, lets get deep into detail, about an important part of that paragraph....

"The ability to separate and then edit an image in CMYK mode is still a long way down the list of features to be added ".

So... sorry, but is as I told you. Let's then dig into that (as I had done long time ago, and I keep up to date about it, and about many other apps status...) 

Official GIMP roadmap, directly from them. As all the other stuff, am not inventing/making up anything, sadly (once again, I WANT Gimp to grow strong ! Very much. Not every one has money to purchase software, specially in third world, or even second world countries. I'm ALL for it. but as one another option, not the single model, as IMO we live in a world that needs both, commercial and open source. In an ideal world, we'd need only open source, but is not the case.)

https://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Roadmap

Again, I'll make it easy, jump to section "Future". I'm not going as far as to paste graphically that chunk, but yep the line :

Feature                                            Status                       Comments

High-end CMYK support                 No                        See FAQ for details

now we go to that FAQ, which I already knew, as I had visited many times in the past. And even, in other implementations of their faqs, years ago, even worded differently but showing the same "enthusiastic" motivation about adding CMYK mode to Gimp :

https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#i-do-a-lot-of-desktop-publishing-related-work-will-you-ever-support-cmyk

Key sentences :

The actual main FAQ question itself gives u already all what u need to know...
"Will you ever support CMYK?"

Self explanatory.

"Yes, better support for CMYK has been on our roadmap for a long time. "

Ok, they recognize the fact. Now is your turn to do so, as well. You are a programmer, you need to use logic, eventually.

"However this project has certain prerequisites such as the complete port of GIMP to GEGL."
OOooOOppppsss....Sounds familiar? What I told you. With GEGL CMYK "could" be added. But IMO, they are not in a rush for CMYK mode, in any case...So, your comment saying "GEGL is not the only graphic library in Linux" was totally missing the facts of the very specific matter we are talking about. In the sense, you had no real info about it, as I am seeing. Same as I'd expect you to not have much full knowledge on the business issues here, neither the technical capabilities of the Serif's developers.

"It’s worth mentioning that currently CMYK is considered by us a low-priority project. "

After that, they explain their reasons to prioritize other things, like non destructive editing and etc. And thats 200% fine !!! . i am not against that. BUT.. then do not (not you, neither them) qualify gimp as a real DTP solution, as it is very far from that. There's a very long road for Gimp to catch up in this with A. Photo, just to put an example, but there are many more in the Mac/Win environments. 

" Note that should a new developer join the team to specifically work on CMYK-related features, we will do our best to help him/her to complete this project and get it to our users as soon as possible. Now that GIMP (as of git master) has been ported to GEGL, adding better CMYK support is finally a sensible idea.  "

yet another proof that my statement about the addition, or first solid appearance in an stable Gimp version of GEGL, is good news for a FUTURE (whoever knows when, in this millennium ) was in t he very right track, and yours saying "GEGL is not the only linux graphic library" , quite missing  the point. Also, hey, they need developers to implement it ! Why, instead of trying to force Serif to do something that they do not want to do, why don't you'd go and put the same level of pressure to them to code the CMYK mode ? They seem to be asking for it... isn't Gimp that amazing? Then why are you here? If Gimp supports already CMYK, why do you need Affinity Photo, at all, which, BTW, is CLOSED source, and more likely will keep being so...What's the gain on a port of a commercial, non free, non open source software, as just a binary to Linux, opposed to help THE software for image editing in Linux, Gimp, which is open source and free ? And according to you, super powerful and on par with Win/Mac commercial applications, DTP specific included.... Why would you be here, if Gimp is so complete already ? Of course, it is so perfect that there is nothing to improve, that's why you are here ?

Excuse the sarcasm, but trust me if I tell you that the situation started to almost need it from even pages ago....Now is an absolute need....

What you pasted with very little info/detail/proof... Yep, it has CMYK sliders, but that's of no use if there is not a CMYK mode. Yep, Gimp has color management. great for RGB profiles, but not for CMYK, it can only export and soft-proof, though that plugin, but that's it. And I am not sure if you understand these matters fully as I am somehow suspecting that you are not a professional or even average freelancer in the matter of printing jobs... or even just deep enough in graphic design...

And...even as it might sound, I am not trying to bash you or attack you, or make you look bad in any possible way ! I'm trying to be ACCURATE here. And about that, GIMP IS amazing. A lot of people do not think that, many in this thread. I believe it is great, and has a very promising future, very specially since last updated, the recent 2.10. But.. all I say is that for now, it can't compete in works to be sent for print, (of course, yep for cheap digital print companies requiring just sRGB files ! And that's a bunch of online companies. But am speaking of a very large chunk, absolutely essential part of the market). I myself can handle Gimp pretty well... but for now, is mostly a tool for screen or web output. I hope at some point they realize they need to make a step further in this matter we are referring here. And then they'd be a formidable competitor. IMO, they should as well make changes on the UI. And I know it deeply. It IS slower, neutrally speaking, than other UIs, in the matter of workflow/number of clicks. 

But as I said. Gimp is a GREAT application. Indeed, I don't understand AT ALL that you so many linux fan lovers here, most quite young I'm guessing, are not just helping gimp grow stronger, proposing these same crowdfunding chimeras , and offering your coding abilities to them, instead of doing so to a commercial closed source company. the only reason behind it is... The majority of you did not take the time and effort, like I did, to get the hang of it, as i also did with Blender and Inkscape, to see its real potential. And you all believe that a closed source app, with a deserved fame of being the right PS alternative, is going to save you from your current situation. Nothing will replace the very simple thing of getting some patience with ANY app and UI, and doing fully complex projects with whatever the tool . If you reject now GIMP's UI in favor of a never comming AP linux port, at some point you will find your self stuck, just much later (because Affinity's UIs are so, so much easier and better than Gimp's, Inkscape's or Scribus', specially the difference in learning curve is big, yet) , but you WILL get stuck. As that is how it is. Doing graphics is hard. You can't get defeated and leave it be. If you don't understand how Gimp works, dig for video tutorials, or, better,  and many times faster learning, purchase (a paypal would suffice, even from some family member) from the company's site their video tutorials, or recommended learning sources, safer bet with open source, and THE BEST way to help them, together with donations. You would also be helping your self, by learning faster, and allowing your favorite tool to survive. Just be aware that, for now, you have it waaay harder to work for print stuff in Gimp. And BTW, I don't mean you can't do gigs for it. There's little CMS to help, you can use Separate+, you can export to Scribus, that has a better CMYK support, or you can just export and work for digital online print companies with RGB workflows, that have improved, so , so much that can print prototypes and final product stuff in a very high quality. Still very far from offset, CMYK based workflows, but already in a good shape to do stuff and get paid for it.

I hope that clarifies stuff a bit..... (and once again, don't get a false impression...I am a GIMP and mostly Linux lover...Everybody else knows it at this point, as I don't freaking shut up, ever, but I do use for real projects Blender (a huuuge lot), Wings 3D (open source modeler, BSD license), and have used a crazy lot in the past Inkscape, Audacity, and Gimp. )

Cool - that way in GIMP is USE an ICC color MANAGEMENT It's a hack but works. The full support is not about CMYK but reimplemented CIE LAB space.
Whay?
It's important for not reduce tiny edge of  CMYK space.

big_color-matching-lab.jpg

44 minutes ago, chiddekel said:
21 hours ago, SrPx said:

Thank you! I didn't know....

There you have...

@chiddekel, your sarcasm detector needs a tuneup! xD

22 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is there any chance we can keep this thread for discussing Serif not implementing a Linux build ...

Just a suggestion, but never underestimate the usefulness of a honeypot topic in forums like this one... ;)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is there any chance we can keep this thread for discussing Serif not implementing a Linux build and not use it for off topic discussions of whether Gimp has or has not implemented a CMYK workflow..... #justsayin

NO -  Thread topic is:Affinity products for LinuxWhen, how, and where can be the inspiration for that goal would be found (Library, SDL, OPENGL, MESA, GLUT, ) (Software BLE NDER 3D, GIMP, KRITA). If you don't want participation in this topic, got to another that  you are interested in. :]

3 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

If you don't want participation in this topic, got to another that  you are interested in.

In case you didn't notice, Patrick is a Serif staff member, and one of the people who would know that Serif does not plan to produce Linux applications, no matter how much you try to convince them to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

In case you didn't notice, Patrick is a Serif staff member, and one of the people who would know that Serif does not plan to produce Linux applications, no matter how much you try to convince them to.

It's can be true - or developers and staff who create affinity success have not much time to do research.
I working in one company who has many greatest technical skilled people after year realize that 
there are thousands of thousands library and c++ tools for Unix platform, after year all migrate to Linux
and avoid compiling software for Linux on the window with wine headers library.

If they do that research, they will have less time for the work they are commited to do.

So, it won’t be happening, at least not in the next 7 years.

Best regards!

14 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

Sarcasm is poison for the soul :]

Not if you know how to recognize what it is telling you. Point being, you are trying to "educate" people who already have much greater knowledge about things like this than you do, or at least much greater than you have been able to demonstrate in this forum. So you might want to consider educating yourself about what they already know by reading some of their other posts & taking note of what they say about how they acquired that knowledge.

14 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

It's can be true - or developers and staff who create affinity success have not much time to do research.

It has been explained many times now that this is not about insufficient time for research, or about any lack of technical expertise in general. That is not the issue. It is pointless (& frankly borders on idiocy) to ignore that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

sorry, my bad.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

@chiddekel

I tell you for a fact that users have been banned from here for less than the attitude you have displayed in your posts in this thread... Please calm down.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt (clearly English is not apparently your first language and there are those here who are baiting you) I think you should stop insulting the programmers research skills and accept that it's our company [I WORK FOR SERIF] and that you should either buy what we sell or not. Telling everyone here that you know better is not working for me and I doubt you are convincing many of the other decision makers here either. 

You clearly think that you know best, so feel free to set up your own company. Write your own 6 million lines of code by hiring programmers with over 200 man years of graphical programming experience and take all the money from the markets we are currently not serving.

We are not moving an app of a few thousand lines of code, this is a huge programming challenge AND a difficult market to sell to. If we do change our minds it is something that will be done only when Serif is ready. Over-expansion is as dangerous as being slow to fill a gap in the market.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

AND a difficult market to sell to.

Why do you believe so?

I'd rather say it should be an easy market to sell to, because of lack of real competition. Especially with your pricing policy...

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Merde said:

Why do you believe so?

I'd rather say it should be an easy market to sell to, because of lack of real competition. Especially with your pricing policy...

Well in direct terms of selling to that market... for a start we use the Mac App Store for macOS, as it is trusted (and promoted) and available on every single supported machine....  How can we do that on every supported Linux machine (Gnone, KDE Discover, AppCenter, Mintinstall, Other) ?....  Windows is a much bigger market so we have covered our costs (and then some) by relying on the numbers game, but we have still moved to using the Microsoft Store (available on every supported Windows 10 machine) for those who do not want to buy through the Affinity store. The lack of competition on Linux is a big plus true, but that does not in itself mean it is an attractive option for us right now.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Well in direct terms of selling to that market... for a start we use the Mac App Store for macOS, as it is trusted (and promoted) and available on every single supported machine....  How can we do that on every supported Linux machine (Gnone, KDE Discover, AppCenter, Mintinstall, Other) ?....

Ah, you mean technical problems. I agree on that. I thought you don't believe enough Linux users would buy AP/AD because they are used to free (as in beer) software.

Hi,

I would like to put my voice in for Linux.

Plus:

1. Nowadays lot of ubercool apps are in the linux train : Slack, Teamviewer, Spotify and a LOT of pro apps HOUDINI,NUKE,FUSION,MARI,MAYA,DAVINCI RESOLVE, and a bunch of cool open source apps KRITA painting Blender... !

2. A LOT of users just wait for a photoshop replacement to jump in, osx and windows aren't productive OS anymore

3. For the sanity of the computing futur ;-)

In any way, that would mean you're here not only for making money but for creating cool things.

Hi want to put my opinion too.

I think Linux is the future of desktop, it will take time i know, but the popularity is growing every year.

It's a big plus for developers and designers, it has already every major app but lacks a true effective vector design tool for print (CMYK at least).

With so many solutions to pack an app and give it to linux users (snaps, flatpaks, etc), i think it will be more easy to provide a good solution for it, or at least a beta.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, NNois said:

osx and windows aren't productive OS anymore

What ?  :o

There is this saying: "This is the year of Linux". I've read that a lot of times, but even if it has had a lot of success in other areas, the Consumer Desktop is not one of them.

Best regards!

12 minutes ago, NNois said:

Of course !

And the worst is you don't see it !

What do you produce with an OS ?

I have produced literally thousands of documents (Quark Xpress and InDesign) and edited thousands of photos using Photoshop on both a Mac and a PC over the years (print trade) but not the OS.

I first tried Linux 10 years ago, but was unable to produce anything (no software, no drivers). So I don't see your point O.o

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.