You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I bought the app at the discounted introductory price ($20, I think) on the theory that eventually I would probably buy an iPad Pro & Apple Pencil (which only works with the Pro models).

Wow, I bet you buy green bananas too :o  That is either being very brave or having a senior moment ;)

Me, I only buy time limited offers if there is one day left and I have a doctors check-up first. 

Oh dear! Just the thought wears me out

bed.jpg.7d638fbd8d3d4689186e301c21806dc2.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

R C-R,

You should be more optimistic about getting an iPad Pro. If you go on eBay there are always deals on the 10.5 and 12.9 inch models. I always recommend people go for the WiFi models, just never had the need for cellular or larger storage. If you eliminate those from the equation, you can keep the iPad Pro prices much lower. 

What I tend to do is buy a new iPad every two years and sell the old one to help subsidize the cost of the new one. Sold my old 9.7 iPad Pro for $225 through Gazelle and bought the new 12.9 inch iPad Pro for $700 on eBay. So the cost was more manageable and I was able to use the Apple Pencil that I already had. 

I use the iPad for many things. Love to read comic books, read books, and also use it for Photo, and hopefully soon Designer.

I know many people question the power of the iPad Pro but it is amazing to me. You look at Clip Studio Paint running on it now, and a video editor like LumaFusion. I am excited to see where Apple takes it in terms of performance in the next few years.

Just now, toltec said:

That is either being very brave or having a senior moment ;)

I am "senior" enough to remember when $20 was enough to keep an old gas-guzzling U.S. car fueled for a month. These days, it is barely enough to cover lunch for one at a cheap, 'greasy spoon' diner. So there was not much bravery involved in the purchase. :P

@Scungio, thanks for your comments. I have thought about getting a used iPad Pro, & I don't need cellular. I prefer to buy refurbished products from Apple rather than from other vendors, but the main reason I have not taken the plunge is I just don't have the drawing skills to get much out of using an Affinity app with one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

-- Edited --- (by me, SrPx)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

37 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Actually, I have those skills, or I mean, is my main activity late years and been painting all my life, still , but either could justify 1200 bucks (without getting the keyboard and pencil, its practical use for me would be minimal) for it.

I think one of the keys to Apple's success is they are not interested in trying to make anything that would appeal to the mass market. It is more that they look for niche markets that they think they can fill better than anybody else. The result is they often do things differently from everybody else.

In a sense, it is like what Serif is doing with the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, toltec said:

Ah. Well, personally, if I was a regular Linux user I would buy a Windows PC just so I could run Photo and/or Designer.

But that's just me. Some might disagree :D

Or run Linux with a VirtualBox to run all your windows programs.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

7 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

Or run Linux with a VirtualBox to run all your windows programs.

Due to direct hardware access needs (tho Wine is improving a lot, lately) I have my doubts that all software would work at the required performance or even support certain uses. If anything, for these issues VMware seems to do better... I used it for long at my latest company.

I'm full time on Linux and the ONLY reason I have a virtual machine running Windows is so I can use Adobe Creative Cloud. 

We spend $1,500+/yr on CC and I would happily pay the same amount (or more) to the company who frees us from Adobe and Windows. 

A lot of the comments on this thread are missing an obvious point - the reason designers aren't on Linux is because their software isn't on Linux. I bet there are a lot of people like me who have spent their entire career on Windows, hate Windows 10 and don't like the OSX ui/ux (a debate for a different thread). 

Linux is easy these days with the introduction of Mint, and I would throw money at the company who would support Linux in a viable Adobe competitor. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would also love Affinity Designer + Photo on Linux.

This is a huge gap in the market. A competitive Design/Photo Software is so hardly missed by all these users. There is virtually no alternative. How can this not be a very attractive market?

Hereby I order one licence of Affinity Photo for Linux and one licence of Affinity Designer for Linux.

What would really blow me away is a common asset manager on mac/linux.  Use the available database and sql tools with common coding within unix/linux.  Create a way to port overall all info from Lightroom and offer real SQL queries.   If enough people install it on linux, then you'll have the justification to port Affinity Photo.     

Two reasons that I don't use Affinity Photo more often:

1.   inertia, because psd files show up up in Lightroom  ( but  Adobe, why not psb files! )

2.   occasional use of PS for making videos

16 hours ago, TheJJJ said:

There is virtually no alternative. How can this not be a very attractive market?

Even if AP held a monopoly that doesn't mean that developing and supporting a Linux version would be a cost effective business.  I suspect the development costs would be bearable but, based on my experience of supporting legacy systems, the support would be impractical.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

This reminds me of an experience I've had over and over in using Linux side by side with Windows.    Drivers and software are fully developed for windows.   Then some offering is made for linux in command line form.  Or, an application is available, but you have to compile it yourself.    Support is limited, except comments by other linux users.

I would like to chime in with requests for Affinity for Linux.

Do you know why designers are not using Linux instead of Windows or Mac? Because the software they want is not there.

Now, I worked as a web designer, freelance for 6 years, and I worked on Linux. And a virtual machine to run Windows only because of Adobe.

With Affinity Designer and Photo, I have finally managed to ditch Adobe after 20 years use - that is how good I find this software.

And yet, I cannot ditch Windows. And a lot of designers I know feel the same way: if you build it, they will come.

14 minutes ago, walts.photo said:

Yep, sounds familiar.  I ran Virtualbox for a while to get Adobe stuff on linux.    Some of the 3D stuff wouldn't work in the virtual environment so I went to a full Win 7 install, then finally OSX.   Both Windows and OSX really suck, in different ways

Linux really sucks too, in different ways.

The lack of retail support, software and drivers being the main "ways" ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 hours ago, Neocreo said:

Do you know why designers are not using Linux instead of Windows or Mac? Because the software they want is not there.

Why do you suppose that software is not there?

Affinity Photo 

Suckage:

Windows:  closed source,  limited hard drive formats, UI aesthetics (win10),  registry, spying(win10), recovery options, cost

OSX:  closed source (gui), reliability, limited hard drive formats, closed ecosystem, recovery options, cost

Linux:  limited commercial software and drivers, too many distributions

• Staff

DxdV, 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

Serif will support other platforms when it is right for Serif, not when enough people say they want it or when a certain amount of money has been pledged/offered.

If Linux versions were released while other applications are outstanding and while already released software on currently supported operating system still need a lot of work, that would be problematic to our existing customers in my opinion.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

DxdV, 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

Serif will support other platforms when it is right for Serif, not when enough people say they want it or when a certain amount of money has been pledged/offered.

If Linux versions were released while other applications are outstanding and while already released software on currently supported operating system still need a lot of work, that would be problematic to our existing customers in my opinion.

It's ok, i understand your position :) This is just my thoughts. Existing customers come first of course.