You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

3 hours ago, jaizon said:

Blender is backed up by big companies, also, GIMP is a completely different story, it already has great tools and functionality but a really bad ui/ux.

Gimp's sucky interface can be cured with the addition of the PhotoGimp patch so it then looks like it has joined the 21st century. While the current development team has made good and useful progress, Gimp is still missing essential features like non-destructive editing and full, inbuilt CMYK capability and that will hopefully start to change with the Gimp 3.0+ series of releases.

2 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Gimp's sucky interface can be cured with the addition of the PhotoGimp patch so it then looks like it has joined the 21st century. While the current development team has made good and useful progress, Gimp is still missing essential features like non-destructive editing and full, inbuilt CMYK capability and that will hopefully start to change with the Gimp 3.0+ series of releases.

Ya can't wait maybe with more funding they can increase the development speed 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, emko said:

Naa just build once using flatpak 

It's depend - flatpak || build distro package, after automate build process in pipe CI/CD are equal good options.The best solution ( less amount of work )
for now is integrate existing code base and use steamworks SDK (for Games and Apps) in partner program:
Steam partners -  https://partner.steamgames.com/

12 hours ago, Snapseed said:

I also use Gravit Designer (now Corel Vector) for any design work I have to do although my design needs are relatively modest.

Gravit made a good start before years. But it appears that the development has stopped. Am I wrong?

9 hours ago, chiddekel said:

It's depend - flatpak || build distro package, after automate build process in pipe CI/CD are equal good options.The best solution ( less amount of work )
for now is integrate existing code base and use steamworks SDK (for Games and Apps) in partner program:
Steam partners -  https://partner.steamgames.com/

building for all distros can be a nightmare, would have to deal with what ever dependencies they have etc, i would rather they take the easy path and use flatpak so it runs on all distros and can be easily updated

14 hours ago, emko said:

building for all distros can be a nightmare, would have to deal with what ever dependencies they have etc, i would rather they take the easy path and use flatpak so it runs on all distros and can be easily updated

Only RPM or DEB for most distro.
If relate on system dependency and don't provide them for example inside /opt/affinity/*.*  then true. 
For Flatpak can either provide any runtime version - event outdated.

So good rethink how provide automated CI/CD on Flatpak  || RPM and DEB solution can be quite easy.
Flatpak for start and after working on - provide RPM and DEB package.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

Hard to say it, buy the target which can be benefit for linux distro user is ChromeOS:

https://chromeos.dev/en

270 Milion Active Android users on ChromeOS, tablets, and foldables[1]
50Milion Students and educators using Chromebooks worldwide[2]

I wouldn't, the hardware would be an issue.

Sure, there are great Chromebooks but the majority isn't geared towards performance, but optimisation instead.

But let's say they'd work on a version for Chromebooks, wouldn't it just be an Android version instead?

On 1/13/2023 at 1:07 PM, jaizon said:

I wouldn't, the hardware would be an issue.

Sure, there are great Chromebooks but the majority isn't geared towards performance, but optimisation instead.

But let's say they'd work on a version for Chromebooks, wouldn't it just be an Android version instead?

ChromeOs on chromebook support Flatpak - so version of Affinty can be deilver booth linux and ChromeOs

43 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

ChromeOs on chromebook support Flatpak - so version of Affinty can be deilver booth linux and ChromeOs

Sure, but that wouldn't be "targeted" at Chromebooks, then. Also, most Chromebooks wouldn't be able to handle AP. Hardware limitation is real.

I mean, even the new so called "Gaming Chromebooks" are meant for cloud gaming. I don't really see a reason for anyone to invest in creating a software like AP or PS aimed at these devices.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, D’T4ils said:

@emko, sadly I’m not running Linux at the moment. I was really eager to try this out T-T

But hopefully someone experimented like @Snapseed or @1stn00b will be able to do so :)

I tried with PlayOnLinux and Crossover 22 (January 2023).

While CrossOver 22 (Wine 7.7) couldn't pop-up the install menu, PlayOnLinux with 6.17 64-bit Wine could start up the install menu, but I couldn't go further cause it appeared the warning that I don't have a supported Windows version. Let's see if others progressed further. On both I set up Win10 environment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Are there any new? I am going to change to linux later this year. My next PC will be a System76 Thelio desktop... an absolute beast for creative work - I would love to use Affinity software with it.. Best would be nativly... .-P

Affinity would be a perfect fit for Linux - there are so many overlaps of characteristics of the userbase - I think a person who uses Affinity is keen to change to Linux aswell.

51 minutes ago, Operator said:

Are there any new?

Serif still has no plans to support Linux, from the last information they posted.

There are other Linux threads here where users are describing their experiences and approaches to getting the Windows version to work on Linux.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif still has no plans to support Linux, from the last information they posted.

There are other Linux threads here where users are describing their experiences and approaches to getting the Windows version to work on Linux.

Yep. Process of getting development, event if the user base reached more than 1 million and active Linux machine, is to complicated ( stack related on Windows and Mac System dependency )

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 1:50 AM, Operator said:

Are there any new? I am going to change to linux later this year. My next PC will be a System76 Thelio desktop... an absolute beast for creative work - I would love to use Affinity software with it.. Best would be nativly... .-P

Affinity would be a perfect fit for Linux - there are so many overlaps of characteristics of the userbase - I think a person who uses Affinity is keen to change to Linux aswell.

If you have any developer skills you can use this library and start creating own AI based graphics editor

https://avaloniaui.net/

Edited by chiddekel
URL

• 1 month later...