You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

26 minutes ago, emko said:

How is it that a lot of the VFX software has Linux versions or started on Linux like da Vinci resolve etc ? This is a missed market 

It is not about being a missed market, going Linux just doesn't pay off, even though we keep saying that there's a lot of people using Linux, it can't even compare to MAC, for example.

On the other side, developing for Linux brings a lot of benefit, like stability and performance, but with some caveats, like Davinci Resolve not being able to use some codes, the most important ones tbh. But Resolve is another matter, as the company doesn't use it as a main source of income and more like an add-on for their gear!

7 hours ago, emko said:

How is it that a lot of the VFX software has Linux versions or started on Linux like da Vinci resolve etc ? This is a missed market 

Microsoft joined the Blender Foundation’s Development Fund as a Corporate Gold member in order to help Blender continue to develop and improve its software.

I'd like to see the prosperous VFX companies pull their fingers out and follow Microsoft's excellent example by funding multiple, paid full time developers for Gimp and CinePaint and then wondrous things will happen.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:09 PM, Mark Ingram said:

The WPF UI is rendered (by default) in Direct3D9. The --no-hw-ui flag disables WPF's hardware rendering and switches it into software mode. The document view is always drawn with Direct3D11 and Direct2D.

I am not sure if you are going to see this but thank you for the advice and suggestions that you have provided in this thread. I hope that things work out for you over at DuckDuckGo and you might very well have a quieter life over there (in a good way).

11 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Microsoft joined the party later for PR : https://fund.blender.org/ 

Blender is supported by Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Volkswagenag, Google, Adobe , game studios etc : >

I wish all those very same wealthy corporations would do the decent thing and fund full time professional developers for both Gimp and CinePaint and then we would not even want/need Affinity Photo on Linux.

In VfX Linux is mostly used platform. Apps like Nuke, MARI, Houdini are built on Linux than ported to other platforms. I worked in facilities with few hundred seats where 95% of them were Linux (which is same in most VfX facilities). We had several Win or OSX seats just for Adobe products (mostly PS for concept artists). For example, Weta, most of their workstations are Linux. If you want to work there as 3d artist, Linux knowledge is preferable skill.

8 hours ago, SreckoM said:

In VfX Linux is mostly used platform. Apps like Nuke, MARI, Houdini are built on Linux than ported to other platforms. I worked in facilities with few hundred seats where 95% of them were Linux (which is same in most VfX facilities). We had several Win or OSX seats just for Adobe products (mostly PS for concept artists). For example, Weta, most of their workstations are Linux. If you want to work there as 3d artist, Linux knowledge is preferable skill.

yes this is why i say there is a missing market that serif could fill that Adobe has not even bothered to do

On 12/29/2022 at 11:00 AM, jaizon said:

It is not about being a missed market, going Linux just doesn't pay off, even though we keep saying that there's a lot of people using Linux, it can't even compare to MAC, for example.

On the other side, developing for Linux brings a lot of benefit, like stability and performance, but with some caveats, like Davinci Resolve not being able to use some codes, the most important ones tbh. But Resolve is another matter, as the company doesn't use it as a main source of income and more like an add-on for their gear!

what codecs? many professionals use resolve just fine so not sure whats missing? unless you are talking about the free version? resolve was made for linux only later ported to other OS

On 12/31/2022 at 6:21 PM, emko said:

what codecs? many professionals use resolve just fine so not sure whats missing? unless you are talking about the free version? resolve was made for linux only later ported to other OS

Yeah, that's mostly for non-pro, although some people mentioned other problems too in a FB group for Resolve I was in (that was probably in version 15 or 16 though), but still.

But even now, there's still some problems that show up, like with AMD graphic cards for example.

2 minutes ago, Unleavened Tech said:

Of course the argument you'd hear against that from Serif is that "the Affinity suite is not primarily targeted towards graphics designers and not developers", which might be true, but most "professional graphics designers" (whom it's their job) are going to use Adobe products anyways, since it's the industry standard. And a lot of (especially indie) developers also need graphics editing software too, for making icons, game texture, etc.

There's also content creators, be it in social media, bloggers, vloggers, writers, etc. Almost everyone today needs a vector or raster software in some capacity. If given the option, I'd rather have it than don't.

TBH, and this is a completely baseless argument, I would guess that even if they'd port only the 1.10 version to Linux it'd sell, as we don't really have anything to go against it. And please, don't even joke about Photopea/ GIMP/ Inkscape/ Scribus.

3 hours ago, jaizon said:

There's also content creators, be it in social media, bloggers, vloggers, writers, etc. Almost everyone today needs a vector or raster software in some capacity. If given the option, I'd rather have it than don't.

TBH, and this is a completely baseless argument, I would guess that even if they'd port only the 1.10 version to Linux it'd sell, as we don't really have anything to go against it. And please, don't even joke about Photopea/ GIMP/ Inkscape/ Scribus.

Then the logical thing to to do is use paid-for professional grade software that can run on Linux such as VivaDesigner and PhotoLine+Wine:

VivaDesigner.jpg

PhotoLine.jpg

16 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Then the logical thing to to do is use paid-for professional grade software that can run on Linux such as VivaDesigner and PhotoLine+Wine:

Sure, that's what most of us here are looking for, a good paid software to go to Linux so that we can get productive

1 minute ago, jaizon said:

Sure, that's what most of us here are looking for, a good paid software to go to Linux so that we can get productive

at this point i think we are better off donating to GIMP to have more full time devs that way we don' t need to rely on companies, something like how blender is becoming very good alternative to payed software.

10 minutes ago, emko said:

at this point i think we are better off donating to GIMP to have more full time devs that way we don' t need to rely on companies, something like how blender is becoming very good alternative to payed software.

Blender is backed up by big companies, also, GIMP is a completely different story, it already has great tools and functionality but a really bad ui/ux.

4 hours ago, jaizon said:

I also use Gravit Designer (now Corel Vector) for any design work I have to do although my design needs are relatively modest.

3 hours ago, jaizon said:

Blender is backed up by big companies, also, GIMP is a completely different story, it already has great tools and functionality but a really bad ui/ux.

Gimp's sucky interface can be cured with the addition of the PhotoGimp patch so it then looks like it has joined the 21st century. While the current development team has made good and useful progress, Gimp is still missing essential features like non-destructive editing and full, inbuilt CMYK capability and that will hopefully start to change with the Gimp 3.0+ series of releases.

2 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Gimp's sucky interface can be cured with the addition of the PhotoGimp patch so it then looks like it has joined the 21st century. While the current development team has made good and useful progress, Gimp is still missing essential features like non-destructive editing and full, inbuilt CMYK capability and that will hopefully start to change with the Gimp 3.0+ series of releases.

Ya can't wait maybe with more funding they can increase the development speed 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, emko said:

Naa just build once using flatpak 

It's depend - flatpak || build distro package, after automate build process in pipe CI/CD are equal good options.The best solution ( less amount of work )
for now is integrate existing code base and use steamworks SDK (for Games and Apps) in partner program:
Steam partners -  https://partner.steamgames.com/

12 hours ago, Snapseed said:

I also use Gravit Designer (now Corel Vector) for any design work I have to do although my design needs are relatively modest.

Gravit made a good start before years. But it appears that the development has stopped. Am I wrong?

9 hours ago, chiddekel said:

It's depend - flatpak || build distro package, after automate build process in pipe CI/CD are equal good options.The best solution ( less amount of work )
for now is integrate existing code base and use steamworks SDK (for Games and Apps) in partner program:
Steam partners -  https://partner.steamgames.com/

building for all distros can be a nightmare, would have to deal with what ever dependencies they have etc, i would rather they take the easy path and use flatpak so it runs on all distros and can be easily updated

14 hours ago, emko said:

building for all distros can be a nightmare, would have to deal with what ever dependencies they have etc, i would rather they take the easy path and use flatpak so it runs on all distros and can be easily updated

Only RPM or DEB for most distro.
If relate on system dependency and don't provide them for example inside /opt/affinity/*.*  then true. 
For Flatpak can either provide any runtime version - event outdated.

So good rethink how provide automated CI/CD on Flatpak  || RPM and DEB solution can be quite easy.
Flatpak for start and after working on - provide RPM and DEB package.