You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am new to Affinity Designer and Low Poly Art so please excuse the question.

I have searched around and not found many answers to my issue. I can't seem to find a way to get perfect alignment of nodes of a triangle to another node on a different object and sometimes snaps along the curve. This is causing tiny hairline gaps which appear as white lines.

Is there a perfect way to align one node to another node on a separate object?

I have uploaded a sample of the issue and also a separate image showing that I need the two yellow nodes to perfectly snap together and the two pink nodes to snap perfectly together and not to snap along the horizontal curves.

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 08.01.15.png

2017-10-01 at 08.03.jpeg

So... whilst I can't seem to get modes to snap to themselves, it seems if I enable the Grid and reduce the grid spacing down to something like 5px I can get both nodes to snap to the same grid point.

Is this accurate? Is this the best way to deal with this or is there a better way?

Many thanks

@justharv You may find that temporarily disabling the main snapping options (the horseshoe magnet icon on the main toolbar) & just enabling the Node Tool Context toolbar options you want (like the first 'Align to nodes' one) makes it easier to snap nodes to other nodes.

Keep in mind that for this you need to have both shapes selected with the Node Tool & can only drag one node at a time to snap to a node of the other shape.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, @R C-R your tip certainly helped me in the right direction. One thing I found was if I had multiple nodes all coming together at one point it seemed best to always use one node as the master to join the other nodes to e.g. select curve 1 and 2 and then move the node of 2 to the node of 1, then select only 1 and 3 and move node of 3 to 1 etc and repeat. When the nodes were aligned the node point would turn a gold/yellow color.

Whilst this felt reassuring that the nodes were aligned it still seemed to have hairline lines when exporting so have resorted to taking similar colored areas, duplicating the curves, using the 'Add' option to make an outline and set a mid-range color fill and place it behind the original objects, this hid the lines.

Should I need to do this or am I still missing something?

13 minutes ago, justharv said:

Should I need to do this or am I still missing something?

You are not missing anything. The hairlines are the result of antialiasing, as explained by @MattP in this post.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7