I'm a video editor and photographer, in order to work fluidly and comfortable I have a computer with 4 monitors running on Windows 7 Ultimate. After buying Affinity and A LOT OF RESEARCH I found out that Aero is disabled by Windows when it detects more than 3 monitors. I bought Affinity Photo because it looked like a good replacement for Photoshop or an extra tool for my work. Now, when I try to run the program, it does not do it because my Windows disabled Aero, I have several programs for design, video edition, photography, etc. and Affinity Photo IS THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES NOT RUN ON MY COMPUTER. WHAT KIND OF CRAP I HAVE BOUGHT? $50.00 and a lot of time lost.

Is this company help customers like me having this problem?

Please, HELP!!!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Affinity unhappy customer. :)

Please see the comment about DWM Composition in the Windows Install FAQ thread.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

As far as I know, there is a means of enabling Aero on a 3 monitor setup using Win7. It can involve adding a switch to the registry, making certain the drivers for the cards are updated using the manufacturer's drivers, changing video cards or any combination of the above. Serif didn't pick the hardware you have in your computer.

Coding incompetence? Nah. Just a decision path to bring a modern Windows product to market that makes use of the OS'capabilities/limitations (however you want to look at the issue).

On 30/09/2017 at 10:45 AM, DVan said:

Agree 110%. Ridiculous limitation. Coding incompetence.

As the person who implemented this, I take offence at your comment. 

The 'limitation' is there to improve the performance of the application, and reduce the bugs you will experience. @Affinity unhappy customer / @DVan, please see one of my many other posts on the subject. Here's the relevant quote:

When you disable Aero (or Desktop Window Manager Composition, which is what we're really interested in), Windows will fallback to using a legacy driver model, which can lead to rendering and performance problems. This only affects Windows 7, as from Windows 8 onwards, DWM Composition is always enabled.

If you want to override the error message, you can use --no-dwm-warning on the command line, though if you report any issues, we won't log them unless they've been verified as still occurring with DWM Composition enabled.

@Affinity unhappy customer, if you're still unhappy after trying this, you can get a refund.

Have you also registered a complaint at Microsoft (possibly with a catchy headline of 'Microsoft Windows SUCKS'), due to the problem you have discovered with their legacy OS?

I found out that Aero is disabled by Windows when it detects more than 3 monitors

Mark

I'm sorry if you took my comment as an offense, but I can say that offended should be all those Affinity customers, including myself, who bought a product supported just through a forum, forum in which, by the way, to find the solution of a problem very common like mine, takes hours to find, and, to make it worst, when I first found it, it was incomplete... the real solution was given buy someone like me, a savvy Windows user, not an Affinity Advanced member like you. Even though Windows sucks, I don't blame Windows because it was there way before than Affinity, Affinity was made to run over Windows, not the other way around. The whole Adobe CC runs in my computer, with a legacy Windows 7 Ultimate WITHOUT Aero, but Affinity needs Aero enabled in order to run... sounds really silly. Windows 7 is still used by a bunch (a lot) of people, and most of designers use multiple monitors to work. Knowing those facts and being Affinity Photo a software for designers, wouldn't have been better if Affinity would have given the solution in a more explicit way? (unless they don't even know about it). In the system requirements (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/#system-requirements) instead of just saying "Windows® 7 (Service Pack 1; Aero enabled)" Affinity should have added something like "If Aero were not enabled, click here". I spent 3 days to find the solution, if Affinity would have been more explicit, I would have saved that time.

30 minutes ago, Affinity unhappy customer said:

Mark

I'm sorry if you took my comment as an offense, ...

You've taken Mark's reaction out of context. He was responding to @DVan, not to you.

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:
On 30/09/2017 at 10:45 AM, DVan said:

Agree 110%. Ridiculous limitation. Coding incompetence.

As the person who implemented this, I take offence at your comment.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 02/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, Affinity unhappy customer said:

In the system requirements (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/#system-requirements) instead of just saying "Windows® 7 (Service Pack 1; Aero enabled)" Affinity should have added something like "If Aero were not enabled, click here". I spent 3 days to find the solution, if Affinity would have been more explicit, I would have saved that time.

The work around is deliberately not mentioned on that page because those ARE the system requirements period. The work around that took you 3 days to discover is a way to get the software to run without DWM composition, but when using that flag the software is unsupported (unless the problem is not causes by the use of the flag) . So we are not going to have a link to the work around in the system requirements page or people would assume that Windows 7 run with the flag was within minimum spec and demand support, much like you are. Your particular system does not meet the minimum criteria for our software. Whether other companies software can run on it is irrelevant. 

For other  readers our support is available in number of ways as explained here, though the forums are our primary support mechanism because of the direct participation of the developers, as this thread attests. 

P.S. Alfred is correct about Marks response not being directed at you 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

Maybe if Affinity Photo had proper documentation, there wouldn't be so many unsatisfied customers who have to spend time scrubbing videos on Vimeo to find answers that could be answered immediately by reading three lines of text.

13 hours ago, mushmelty said:

Maybe if Affinity Photo had proper documentation, there wouldn't be so many unsatisfied customers who have to spend time scrubbing videos on Vimeo to find answers that could be answered immediately by reading three lines of text.

Have you tried looking in the Help file?