You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting photos to iPad - iOS11 - working on iPad

With iOS11 Apple seem to have changed things yet again. I have some photos in Photos (Apple) on my iPad. The only way they could have got there is by my emailing them to myself and then importing them to Photos. Earlier it was possible to then import from Photos to AP on the iPad. This route doesn't seem to be possible now.

I am very reluctant to turn the iCloud on - I know that "everyone" else uses it - but I absolutely don't want to. Despite what Apple and others say, I don't trust clouds, and I have confidential data on some of my machines so I don't want to run any risk that it could migrate. I know that that happens.

So now I don't seem to have any very easy way which I trust to get images into AP on my iPad, so I'm reverting back to using AP on my MacBook Pro. PIty - as some of the features in the iPad version seem a bit eaier - once the UI has been figured out. The tutorials for all the versions are excellent. I really wanted to make up a new composite photo using the concepts from the Sky replacement tutorial - though my application is to replace a blown out (overexposed) window which is "framing" some people in a room with a better background. I looked at the tutorial about using the iOS 11 "file system" - but it hasn't helped in this instance - seemingly because of the way Apple have now configured the iPad.

• Staff

Hi dave2017,

The workflow of emailing a picture to yourself and saving it to the iPad from the email, then opening in AP does work, as that's the method i use to get images to my iPad from my older Mac at home which doesn't support airdrop.  Just a case of saving the image from the email, which should save it straight to the Photos app on the iPad.  Then open up Affinity and tap the + icon on the home screen and then select Import From Photos and you should see the picture you just saved to import.  If your Macbook Pro does support Airdrop, then that would also send an image to the iPad and the iPad would add it to Photos, which you'd then access from Affinity. 

Thanks stokerg

Sorry - it does not work. I have had it work that way in the past, but as of the latest update to iOS it does not work.

The option to move the image to other apps does exist, and indeed it's possible to get the image into Affinity Photo that way, but not into Photos.

I need to get one of the images into Photos, as currently that's where AP will look for images to put into the layer stack if one wants to work on more than one image - as in the sky replacement "exercise". If you're sure I'm wrong keep telling me - but I think this behaviour - or indeed lack of it - is a recent development.

I'm  now on 11.0.1 iOS and Sierra - 10.12.6 on my MacBook Pro.

The Airdrop idea is interesting - I'll try it if I find time, but it may be a while.

Edited by dave2017
Airdrop

• 4 weeks later...

@ Dave2017

when you say Photos, are you referring to the camera roll?

I use an app called Documents on my iPad  to access my PC (wireless network) and copy files to the iPad. Once in Documents, I can select the photo file and 'share' it with Affinity Photo or move the file directly to the camera roll and access it that way in AP

I’m fairly sure that mail attachments can also be opened in Documents app and then moved to camera roll or copied to Affinity Photo.

I Just tested this workflow and it worked fine. Sent myself a photo in mail then opened it in Documents then moved it to the camera roll. Also shared it fromDocuments to AffinityPhoto and then used AP to save it back to camera roll. Both methods worked.

Would that workflow work for you?

From memory Readdle Documents is a free app.

A simpler method? with iOS 11.03 and iPad Pro. Open Mail app and Files App side by side. Drag image from Mail into Files app Affinity Photos folder. EDIT. Sorry, not correct. The folder I had showing in Files App was the Readdle Documents folder that I had used to store photos, not AP folder (which doesn’t show in Files).

Maybe the devs can add that feature? 

Edited by DM1
Addition information

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/