postmadesign

Jagged brush lines on quick strokes

Hi,

I have big problems with both AD (also the latest Beta) & AP: I get very jagged/angular lines, especially when drawing quickly. It seems the digitizer can not keep up with the stroke. I made a screenshot in AD. It seems to occur more with the pixel brushes. The problem is visible in any brush I pick. see screenshot

I am working with the last Version of El Capitan. I tried the latest Wacom driver, and also an older one - no difference.

I have no Problems with other programs, I tried Clip Studio, Photoshop, Sketchbook and Krita and they work just fine. 

As it is, I can not use AD & AP for any kind of freehand drawing and painting, which really sucks: I hope you have a solution!

Schermafbeelding 2017-09-29 om 11.58.11.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-09-29 om 12.03.37.png

Hey postmadesign,

I just had this on the Beta but I can't get it to happen after restarting it. I'm not sure what triggered this but I definitely had it!! I would expect AP to suffer from this a little bit more than AD as we don't have smoothing on pixel brushes but Designer (which is the app I reproduced it in) definitely shouldn't be showing this.

It seems to me, that this occurs more when the canvas is more zoomed out. When I zoom in the effect is less noticeable. Perhaps this has something to do with the brush engine? I did not notice this before upgrading to El Capitan recently. Before that, I was still using OSX  Lion...

Does this happen with your mouse or just when using Wacom? What do you have set under Display in Preferences > Performance? I can reproduce this 100% if using Software but it does not occur in Metal and OpenGL.

I tried with the mouse, but I can not really draw with it, so its hard to say. 

I use Open GL (my mac does not support Metal). I cranked up the memory usage, but this does not change anything. The effect becomes more pronounced the more I zoom out and the faster I draw. It seems to me that the way my brush strokes are rendered is using straight polygonal lines, the faster I draw, the less segments are drawn, the less smooth the curve. Each of these straight segments seems to have 1 pressure value, so the strokes look really ugly and angular. I tried using the app Hej Stylus to smooth the lines out, but it does not really do much.

I did notice this problem in Krita, by the way, but PS and Clip Studio are very smooth, Sketchbook too, so it seems to me it cannot be a pure Wacom problem or a hardware issue.

Hey postmadesign,

Can you take a screenshot of your System Preferences? I'm going to see if I can reproduce this on a similar/same spec Mac. Like I say, I can reproduce this using Software but not on OpenGL or Metal. 

Thanks. I was working on this earlier (in the Pixel Persona) today and I have noticed a couple of times where the app has almost slowed down a bit which gave me similar (but not as bad) results to your first screenshot. Can you try enabling the brush stabilization on the context toolbar to see if you still get the issue? I am not suggesting this is the workaround, I just want to see if that has any effect. 

I tried this, but it does not resolve the issue. Slower drawing works better, so my feeling still is that the digitizer is not cathing up with the stroke, and starts to simplify/skip steps, instead of creating a fluent curve. Zoom levels affect this as well.

The weird thing is, that the vector brush gives me no such problems.

The vector brushes offer smoothing whereas our raster brushes do not. I know there are other apps that do provide it for raster brushes though. Saying that, your raster brushes definitely seem to be having more of an issue than they should... Especially on OpenGL (I'd expect it on Software). 

This is a bit of a long shot, but could you launch the app with the ctrl key held down and click put a tick in the box next to brushes and then click Clear. This will reset the app as well as any customizations you've made to the brushes. If you've made any of your own brushes, you will need to export them first otherwise you will lose them. This way we can start from a clean slate.

Hello Chris B

Thanks for your answers, but unfortunately this did not improve things at all. 

I don't think stabilisation is the problem, as I can do very clean lines in Photoshop and sketchbook without stabiizers with no problems. Also the stabilzer in the Beta does not resolve the issue. But as I do get a similar problem in Krita, I think it must have something to do with how the wacom drivers interact with the programs in question. I am not using the latest Wacom driver, but I have tried it and it provided no change.

I have both an Intuos 5 and a Cintiq 13HD and both have the same problem

What Wacom driver version are you using? I'll install the same one and see what happens. I recently did a clean install of High Sierra and haven't put any Wacom drivers on yet, so you might be right. 

Right, I think I've got it. It still isn't as bad as what you are seeing but I can definitely see it. 

59d4d242227c9_Screenshot2017-10-0413_19_28.png.b1aaeeb0c2eb7d12038e9152393abc96.png

Those circles were drawn very quickly—much faster than I could do with a mouse which is why I initially didn't see it. Even with the Wacom I didn't see it until I was drawing as quickly as I could. Perhaps this might be enough to go on for development to take a look at. I'll pass it over and see what they say. Thank you.

I have exactly the same problem on the Windows version. Is it due to the new update? 
Anyways, I hope it will get fixed soon because currently I can't draw with AP because of this bug :(

Yeah, I still have it in the newest versions as well. Thanks for looking into this, I hope there is some kind of solution. Perhaps it is a wacom thing, tht somehow the wacom tablet does not play along with Affinity in certain situations? I don't have other manufacturer Tablets but it would be interesting to find out if it changes things

It definitely seems like some sort of tablet/pen input lag. We've got a number of different tablets so I'll try and make a list with screenshots for development of how each of them act. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:37 PM, postmadesign said:

It seems to me, that this occurs more when the canvas is more zoomed out. When I zoom in the effect is less noticeable. Perhaps this has something to do with the brush engine? I did not notice this before upgrading to El Capitan recently. Before that, I was still using OSX  Lion...

I have encountered this too when i installed Huion 610PRO to try it in Affinity Photo for Windows

some oval shapes are somehow smooth but others are jagged...

i also feel some kind of random lag (like stutter?) when drawing, but its not always and

only if i draw faster, not with slower strokes

Video from Affinity Photo:

AffinityPhotoBrushStroke.mp4

you can see that randomly jagged lines and very strong lag especially that first one at second row

(its 60fps video so you can slow down playback to 50% speed and see that lag well)

Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Looks like i have reduced that heavy lag on Huion tablet by uncheck "support TabletPC" in Huion control panel. 

But jagged lines still remain, they are more random, some oval/round lines are almost without jagged parts

Update:

There is still same odd lag at beginning of some lines but its not as often

Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Hello,

I have the same issue. Win7 64bit & Intuos P&S CTH-480, driver 6.3.25-5 (last).

I have uploaded a pic where you can see what happens:

up: vector brush

down: pixel brush

left: wacom tablet

right: mouse

Notice that the strokes done with the mouse are 'fluid'. With tablet & vector, when starting the stoke there is a initial straight line, then the intended curve (lag starting the stroke?). With the mouse, there is no problem creating a fully curved stroke.

Down left, a curve done with the pen, doesn't seem a curve, but little straight lines connected, compare with a similar curve done with the mouse, you see just a curve.

No problems with other sw, like Krita, for example. I checked all possible combinations of table & affinity options, without success.

wacom_lag.png.6527ae9fbf00080fa833567d9be08fc7.png

Please, solve it. The program is not usable with the pen and this issue.

Hi jmoren,

I've bumped the bug report. This is similar/same as the bug I reported a while ago where the curve begins with a straight line and now you continue to see those straight lines in the rest of the curve.