roqvist

CMYK Color Profiles do not load and crashes Affinity Designer 1.5.3.69 on opening file on Windows 10

Affinity Designer & Photo both crash on startup on Windows 10 when trying to open any .EPS CMYK image.

Affinity Designer Version: 1.5.3.69

Test image: https://www.livsmedelsverket.se/globalassets/om-oss/press/logotyper/livsmedelsverket-logotyp-cmyk.eps

Attached .DMP and screenshot.

8abd9049-05a7-4934-85d8-033293a0d8e3.dmp

Capture.PNG

Hey roqvist,

What colour profile are you using? I don't get the crash because the app is defaulting to U.S. Web Coated. 

I get this message when opening the file, do you get it?

59ce2501d6d08_AffinityPhoto.jpg.d1b0cbfb8ddb8a35872dc97c5313afa3.jpg

OK, some more info.

Affinity Photo

I manually installed a new CMYK color profile. It shows up in Affinity Photo, I selected it in the list and can now open .EPS CMYK.

However If I restart Affinity Photo the selected CMYK color profile is empty again. When no profile is selected, opening any CMYK file crashes the application.

Affinity Designer

In Affinity Designer the CMYK color profiles do not show up at all. The list is completely empty even though several are installed on my machine and therefore crashes whenever a CMYK is opened.

All other color profile lists are populated correctly so this seems to be a CMYK only problem.

So my guess is the dialogue that pops up asking for converting the profile does not have null handling of the list but instead expects a list with at least one profile. So the exception is probably becuase a reference to null, but the underlying problem is that CMYK Color Profiles are not loaded correctly for Affinity Photo and Designer in Windows 10.

"Workaround"

Not really a workaround becuase the image colors will not be displayed correctly, but disabling the Colour Profile option "Warn when assigning working profile to unprofiled files" gets rid of the exception.

Ah that might explain it. There should be quite a few, maybe 20 profiles installed. I'm not sure why you have none O.o Can you install the beta? I believe there might be a faulty colour profile installed which is preventing all of them showing/working. The beta should handle this better.

Thanks, I’ll try the beta.

A collegue tried on an almost fresh Windows 10 install and got the same problem, so if the cause is an existing CMYK profile it is probably one that is included with Windows 10.

Are you sure there should be 20 available CMYK profiles? Should these installed by Affinity? Looking at my colleague's (relatively fresh) machine he only has one

Euroscale Coated v2

Several RGB color profiles though, but they are listed as they should in the app.

Thanks for the info, I just installed the Designer Beta and indeed a bunch of CMYK profiles are now listed in the app and opening the abovementioned .EPS works fine on both our machines. Thanks guys :28_hugging: