You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to begin a design project on iPad (Pro 12.9, iOS 11), save it to iCloud Drive, and continue work on it in either Designer or Photo on my Mac (macOS 10.13). My first attempt at this shows this to be finicky, so my guess is that I'm not doing something right. How I finally got my first attempt to work was:

1. In Photo on iPad, save as PSD to iCloud drive
  2. Open in Photo on Mac
  3. Save as afphoto file
  4. Open in Designer on Mac

Does anybody have a better workflow that will work better than this? Is it best to create the initial file on iOS as a document or a project?

Yes, I am an extreme noob to this. :)

5 hours ago, DWright said:

You can install the Customer beta's of Designer and Photo on your mac and then you can save as a .afphoto on your iPad and then open this file in the beta's on your Mac.

I don't quite understand why you are recommending beta versions of AD and AP. Doesn't the OP have versions of the latest versions on his machine, or are the required features only in the betas?

• Staff

The iPad using build 1.6 while the current Mac store version is 1.5 and sometime it is unable to open files saved in 1.6, the customer beta are 1.6 and can open the files directly and this will keep your layers and history for your photos. The Mac store version will be updated to 1.6 later on in the year

I have been using the beta releases of both Designer and Photo on macOS for a couple weeks now, and they are both really stable and usable. The only real "glitches" I have seen is really small stuff, like the thumbnails in the layers panel being slow to update when doing and undoing geometric operations. As a side note, I enabled Metal graphics on both apps, and the response and performance is simply amazing! There is almost no blocky behavior when quickly moving around or zooming in and out. 

Now back to the topic at hand, so, the key is to save the project as a .afphoto on the iPad. I had assumed that a project is automatically saved as .afphoto, but that is not the case.

Thanks for all your help!

• 1 month later...