You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Later Purchasing A MAC but need WINDOWS now

10 minutes ago, Michael Sheaver said:

Hey, I used bootcamp to install and run Windows 10 on both my new iMac and my 4 year old MacBook Pro, and it works flawlessly.

Wow!  That's very impressive !!!

I used Windows 10 to install Windows 10 on my Windows PCs and that never works flawlessly ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

10 hours ago, toltec said:

Wow!  That's very impressive !!!

I used Windows 10 to install Windows 10 on my Windows PCs and that never works flawlessly ;)

rotfl.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, toltec said:

used Windows 10 to install Windows 10 on my Windows PCs and that never works flawlessly ;)

For some reason, that reminds me of this:

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-in-internet-explorer-photo-u1.thumb.jpeg.83492cc8b5fc4dfe9975bf588ba72828.jpeg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

It goes without saying, at least for some of us, that I used the term flawless rather loosely in this context. For we all know that a "good" day in Windows is one where you can count the number of forced reboots on one hand. ;)

I try my best to avoid the Windows environment as much as possible, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable, kinda like taxes and death. About a month ago, I was setting up an environment for my wife so she could use a Windows-only software package on her MacBook for a class she was taking, and my research helped me learn that you can, using Bootcamp, download and use the full Windows 10 installation absolutely free. Can you believe that?

But the real shocker was how flawless (yes, really) the installation was this time. It installed cleanly, booted cleanly, and even connected to the WiFI - with no problem. I then downloaded and installed the obligatory (infamous might be a better word) Windows updates, and installed Office 365 without a hitch.

I had done this many times in the past 10 years, and NEVER did this take less than hours to accomplish, with lots of crazy hacks. I even had my MacBook Pro triple booting (Windows 8, OS X, Linus Mint) at one time, using rEFInd to provide a pretty GUI to choose which OS to use. But my latest episode using macOS 10.12/13 and Windows did go without the usual curse words. And yes, I was surprised, no shocked! And for good measure, I did this on my iMac, may MacBook and my wife's MacBook, and all went without incident. Oh, and by the way, I did all three in one evening. :D

The links that helped me in this effort are here.

Install and use Windows 10 without product key:

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Microsoft ISO image download page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Microsoft instructions for installing Windows 10 using Bootcamp: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018812/new-install-of-windows-10-creators-update-on-mac-with-boot-camp

Link to info on the rEFInd boot manager (This is only a bit geeky and tricky, and recommended only for those unafraid of, ummm, crash and burn):

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/