You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello All,

When opening a new file in the Draw Persona (and creating vector art) or opening an existing afdesign file,  the artwork remains hidden behind a gray field. (the gray field doesn't show up as a layer.)

The vector artwork, if clicked on with selection tool, can be seen with nodes but when you click outside of the art work it disappears again.

I've tried adjusting parameters within the preferences and document setup but nothing changes.

I also re-installed AD and the same issue happened.

I've attached screen shots of the 'node view' and the 'disappearing artwork' field.

Thanks for any input!

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 10.31.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 10.32.31 AM.png

I don't see any evidence of your having started by going to File > New and creating a document of some size or another as your platform. I also don't see rulers on the top and left margins though you may have simply turned them off. And the existing .afdesign file you opened... did it have a document base on which the  curves/shapes were created? Unlike Affinity Photo in which you start by opening a photo, Designer needs to have a new document to work from. I apologize if I have stepped back too far and your issue is more complicated.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

In File menu > Document Setup > Dimensions tab, what does it say are the dimensions of the document?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For what it's worth: I just found out the same issue is happening in AffinityPhoto when I open an existing .jpg or AP file or new file...

And in both AD and AP, when I print, the image/artwork show up fine in the Print dialogue box.

Thank you both for the quick response!

• Staff

Hi f1mast,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This seems to be a casual glitch/issue with some program settings. Do the following: press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the program then select Clear from the dialog that will appear (keep the first three boxes ticked). You may lost a few preferences settings/layout customisations you may have made but it should fix this issue. Let me if not.

44 minutes ago, MEB said:

Do the following: press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) while launching the program ...

Shouldn't that be the Control key?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi f1mast,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This seems to be a casual glitch/issue with some program settings. Do the following: press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the program then select Clear from the dialog that will appear (keep the first three boxes ticked). You may lost a few preferences settings/layout customisations you may have made but it should fix this issue. Let me if not.

I completed that operation 2x but it didn't resolve the issue.

thank you for the response!