You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy paste between Affinity Designer and Photo

When I copy a graphic object between Affinity designer and Affinity Photo the object selected in Affinity Designer appears 25% smaller in Affinity Photo. To be clear the settings in Designer are A4 page with 300 dpi and I have the  same settings for Affinity Photo. The Object should copy and paste as the same size. What am i doing wrong  or is there a bug in the software, thanks for your help. In the image below you will see the two programs open side by side and the difference between the two graphics on the same size canvas i.e a4 thanks for your help here

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 14.54.22.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Paul. :)

Your zoom levels are different: the one on the left is at 50% but the one on the right is at 15%. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi Paul B,

Please could you make sure the DPI of both of your documents is the same?

Thanks

Callum

It looks as though Paul has already done that:

2 hours ago, Paul B said:

To be clear the settings in Designer are A4 page with 300 dpi and I have the  same settings for Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It looks as though Paul has already done that:

I'm quite aware of that Alfred thank you, I was asking him to make sure as the only way I can reproduce this issue is if the DPI of the documents is different. 

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 hours ago, Callum said:

I'm quite aware of that Alfred thank you, I was asking him to make sure as the only way I can reproduce this issue is if the DPI of the documents is different. 

C

Did you try changing the view zoom, Callum? :/

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Paul. :)

Your zoom levels are different: the one on the left is at 50% but the one on the right is at 15%. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your comments but as I explained the problem is the following. the view size 15% and 50% is not the problem I am aware they are different view sizes. The two documents are 300 dpi and A4 in size. when I copy and paste the graphic from affinity designer to affinity Photo the graphic object is smaller on the photo Canvas. The canvas of both documents is A4. The Problem is that when I copy a graphic file between two A4 documents of the same  300 dpi  the graphic ( almost half the page) from Affinity designer pastes as a smaller size graphic  in affinity photo ( top right hand corner 2 cm by 3cm). Here again both the documents both at a 12 % zoom.

I am not new to graphic software I use Photoshop and illustrator but with these programs I have this problem and I cannot understand why the graphics are changing size when the document size and the DPI size are exactly the same 

I hope that makes this a bit clearer. Thanks for your help 

Screen Shot different size graphics.png

copy ing the graphic from one document to the other is changing the graphic size, I presume there is a bug with the software as I cannot understand why there would be any other reason for the difference in the size of the graphic when it is copies and pasted between two files of the same DPI and canvas size,

thanks for any help and advice that you may be able to give

I tried this and the result was that the image copied with exactly the same size. These are the settings I tried it with:

Settings.png

Best regards!

Here is a side by side comparisson (Maybe this is a macOS specific problem? As you can see, I run the Apps on windows):

Random_Logo_Comparisson.png

By the way, I noticed that even if they are created with the same settings, Designer shows 47% of zoom and Photo shows 15%, similar to the values seen on the first post. May I ask why is that?

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Here is a side by side comparisson (Maybe this is a macOS specific problem? As you can see, I run the Apps on windows):

I'm also on Windows and cannot reproduce the problem, so it does look as though it could be specific to the Mac versions of the apps.

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

By the way, I noticed that even if they are created with the same settings, Designer shows 47% of zoom and Photo shows 15%, similar to the values seen on the first post. May I ask why is that?

Yes, that's what I wondered when Paul originally raised this issue two months ago!

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Mithferion said:

I am using the Mac versions & I cannot duplicate this problem either. Copying objects from an A4 300 DPI Designer document & pasting to an A4 300 DPI Photo document (or visa versa) does not change the dimensions of the object. I also tested this with a variety of object & pixel layer types & with a couple of other document sizes like the Web > WXGA preset (1280 x 800 px @ 72 DPI). In none did the copied & pasted items change size.

Thus, I am not sure what is causing the problem @Paul B reported but unless it is a bug that does not manifest itself with macOS Sierra, I doubt it is a macOS specific problem. It may help to know what OS version he is running & if he is running any third party add-on that manages the clipboard.

One thing I did notice from his screenshots: it is hard to tell for sure but it looks like the copied Designer dog item is a group layer while in the Photo version it is an ungrouped combination of a (Curves) layer & at least one (Curve) layer. It might help to know why that is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am very sorry about the delay getting back to you. . I am using a Mac Book Pro with Os X el Capitan.  I am not using any add ons.

the graphic is created in Affinity designer with txt and graphic layers then I copy and paste it into the photo the graphic reduces dramatically in size. and I have no idea why it is doing this. The graphic should simply copy and paste and remain the same size but it doesn't

I cannot understand why it is doing this. Any further ideas/suggestions would be appreciated

If this problem is specific to the Dog Logo you are trying to copy then it's going to be hard for anyone to help you without you uploading that AFD document here.

If you don't want to upload the Dog Logo document but can recreate the fault in another document, then upload that document here

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

56 minutes ago, Paul B said:

the graphic is created in Affinity designer with txt and graphic layers then I copy and paste it into the photo the graphic reduces dramatically in size.

Did you copy the dog logo as a group (like is shown in your first AD screenshot) or as individual layers? I am just trying to figure out why the AP screenshots are showing the logo as ungrouped shapes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi MEB,thanks  very much for your comments 

I attach here the two files. I am completely lost why it does not copy correctly. one of your colleagues already received the files and he did nt have the change in the size of the graphic when  copying the files from AD to AP

Callum AFF designer 1 .afdesign

Callum Affinity Photo file 1.afphoto

On 11/22/2017 at 0:26 PM, Mithferion said:

I tried this and the result was that the image copied with exactly the same size. These are the settings I tried it with:

Settings.png

Best regards!

I tried this and it is no different tithe graphic still pastes into the AP document much smaller than from the original AD document

• Staff

Hi Paul B,

I'm also having trouble reproducing this on my Macs but i'm using Sierra and High Sierra machines here. If you are not using any third party programs that may interfere with data copied to the clipboard  there may be some issue with Affinity Photo/El Capitan specifically which i'm not able to test/check now. I don't know if Callum checked this on El Capitan or on more recent OS's. I'm logging this issue and passing your files to the development team for further inspection/tests on El Capitan.