You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush resizing shortcut

Tupaia

Hello!

This has been adressed many times:

please choose another keyboard shortcut for brush resizing than ALT-LMB-RMB!

That just does not work well with a Wacom pen. For me, it's the factor that breaks the workflow the most, at the moment. Brush resizing is something you need to do all the time.

I use Clip Studio and Photoshop a lot. Both have different ways to resize, but both are simple and feasible. ALT-RMB in PShop, CTRL-ALT-LMB in Clipstudio.

With a Wacom pen, LMB means tipping the tablet with the pen. RMB I put on the pen switch, rear side. Having to use both, AND in the right order ist just awkward, and totally unnecessary.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I don't understand what's the big deal about changing a thing that's a simple fix in code (I guess) but has such a big impact on workflow...

I really want to use your software, which is (going to be) really great!!

Thanks for listening!

German keyboard...

My left hand always rests to the left of the keyboard, so CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, TAB and all those keys are is easy reach. Lifting the hand to press any keys anywhere else is neither comfy nor quick.

Also, I'd like to resize 'interactively' - scrub the mouse and see the brush tip resize in realtime, and be able reach the desired size immediately.

Using keys for up/downscaling, this is only possible to do in steps, which means one has to probably press them many times to reach the desired size. Not comfy, either.

You could go in and reassign shortcut keys for the brush resizing. Instead of the bracket keys [ and ], why not change them to S and D?

Go to Preferences then Keyboard Shortcuts. Then choose Photo from the first drop down menu, and Tools from the second menu. Look for the Clone Brush Tool it has the S for its shortcut, just click the X to remove that shortcut. Now go back to the second drop down menu and change from Tools to Paint Brush Tool. You will see Decrease and Increase Brush Size, click on the X to remove those shortcuts. Now type in S for Decrease and D for increase. 

So, now you can have those two keys S and D near your left hand and can resize the brush  more comfortably via shortcuts. Of course you don't have to use those specific keys, just a suggestion of one way to do it.

If you run into any snags or want to start over you can always reset the keyboard shortcuts. With that one Apply to all checkbox it appears that setting the new keys of S and D for resizing will apply that to the other tools like the Eraser, Dodge, Burn, Sponge, etc. Give it a shot and see if it helps any.

Appreciate any tips! I'm aware of how to redefine keys. However, it's a workaround here, not the solution.

As I tried to explain, single-stepping up or down with any keys is not as comfortable as click-drag-resizing a brush to the desired size.

Instead of of ALT-LMB-RMB, just assign CTR-ALT-LMB for example instead , and we're good! That shortcut is still free.

There NEVER should be the need to press the left AND the right mouse button at the same time! It's just not Wacom-Pen friendly.

Thanks for considering!

13 minutes ago, Tupaia said:

There NEVER should be the need to press the left AND the right mouse button at the same time! It's just not Wacom-Pen friendly.

It's also not touchpad-friendly, at least on a laptop like the one I'm currently using! As I've mentioned a couple of times in other threads, my 'mouse' buttons are integrated with the touchpad, so they work like a rocker switch: instead of just being awkward, it's physically impossible to press both at the same time

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 9/29/2017 at 5:57 AM, Tupaia said:

At the time being, this thing plus the nonsense of having to press SPACE-CTRL, not CTRL-SPACE to invoke the interactive zoom tool, are the nastiest little workflow-breakers when painting.

Just my two cents, but I found it more comfortable to change the scroll wheel to zooming (Preference->Tools->Use mouse wheel when zooming), and just always use space+LMB to pan. That way I don't have to rely on the interactive zoom tool. I can see why that wouldn't work though if you need very accurate zooming, but just in general workflow.

Hi!
The Wacom pen does not have a zoom wheel... ; ]

I'm using both a Wacom Cintiq Companion and a desktop-Windows-PC with an older Wacom Intuos 4. On both, I constantly switch between all available input options - pen and mouse on the PC, pen, mouse, touch on the Cintiq.

However, when I'm drawing with the Pen, and want to brush-resize or zoom, I don't want to grab the mouse or use impractical keyshorts. Users shouldn't be forced to do so.