You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: select part of an object?

Hi, I am not really much of an artist - I just use photo and affinity to manage art assets for graphic novels which I receive from my illustrators, so this question might sound kind of silly.

Let's suppose I have an EPS file and I want to select only part of it - maybe cut out a rectangular section - and paste this into a new document? I did see examples for using masks, but it seemed like the entire object was still there. 

Sorry if this is not specific enough, just looking to get some newbie guidance here

Hi rnmartinez, 

A layer mask is used to reveal a portion of a layer while the rest of the layer remains hidden. This means that you can use a mask layer to delete areas of a layer that you don't want. If you would like to provide a sample file I would be happy to take a look. :)

9 hours ago, rnmartinez said:

Hi, I am not really much of an artist - I just use photo and affinity to manage art assets for graphic novels which I receive from my illustrators, so this question might sound kind of silly.

Let's suppose I have an EPS file and I want to select only part of it - maybe cut out a rectangular section - and paste this into a new document? I did see examples for using masks, but it seemed like the entire object was still there. 

Sorry if this is not specific enough, just looking to get some newbie guidance here

You could crop an area with a shape and output as a JPEG or TIFF

Draw a rectangle, drag the image or EPS into that (nesting position) to clip it.

Select the rectangle layer and go File >  Export. Set the Area: in the Export  Panel to selection (not whole document). You just get just the layer.

Text will be rasterised though

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.