You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cut a Layer not the full image

Hi,

how can I cut just the layer and not a complete image? In Gimp can I select a checkbox "just this layer", but I can not find this option in AF Photo.

Can you help me guys?

Greetings

Dracken

If you understand something not correct, I can explain it in German. Just ask :)

That does cut it out :D I wanted more a option to cut the layer to a different point.

with ctrl+x its just like copy just... that you let the rest there. I wanna remove all around it. I did now try it with the selection tool, then invert it and press del. but on a pixel layer it just slect all visible and delete it, so the stuff outside of the image is still there.

May that help, to explain what I try to make.

If you understand something not correct, I can explain it in German. Just ask :)

The term is cropping, not cutting.

The simplest way would be to make a selection with the marquee tool, then press Ctrl + J  (duplicate layer).  That will put the selection on a new layer, cropped to size. Then just hide or delete the original. You can then move it around or cut and paste it into another pic, like in the video.

You can also mask images inside a shape, like a rectangle. That way the original image is still there, but hidden.

deer.jpg.36c51480c96edfd6e50509e7d68f2196.jpg

Draw a rectangle above the image layer. The shape must have a fill colour, (any colour)

deerrect.jpg.c8c13591d98493da402c46cc4dc599ac.jpg

right click on the rectangle layer (Layers panel) and click Mask to Below.

below.jpg.c28214199f55db205133f87a87c074f7.jpg

Result

deercrop.jpg.01dad64731ea8e2000c1c770bdb7c36a.jpg

That is non-destructive, so you could change the crop later.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Its all so... complicated xD Sometimes I like my simple gimp^^, but just until I open the filters... thats cancer in Gimp^^.

And in german its called "Zuschneiden" schneiden = cutting. Cropping = Ausschnitt (it includes the cut thing but... yeah...) thats why I said "cutting" you cut the image :D

I did try it now and yes it work... slect the area and duplicate it, but then I have to delete the old part, like I said... in Gimp sadly much faster, just make the checkbox for "only this layer" and done...

No nete of duplicate or deleting old files after "cropping".

Maybe... if they make Affinity Photo 2.0 will they improve some things.

47 minutes ago, HVDB Fotografie said:

You can also invert  the selection via "Select > Invert Pixel Selection" or CTRL+ I  and hit delete

I think you mean Ctrl + Shift + I  

Ctrl + I turns it into a negative.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 hours ago, Dracken said:

I did try it now and yes it work... slect the area and duplicate it, but then I have to delete the old part, like I said...

If you prefer not to have to duplicate or delete anything, you can use layer clipping instead. As demonstrated in the Clipping vs Masking video tutorial, clipping more or less creates the inverse parent/child relationship compared to masking, & allows you to freely manipulate the image in several different ways.

What the video does not show is that you are not confined to rectangles or any of the other provided vector shapes for the parent layer. So for example, you could draw a curve of any shape with the Pen tool, like around just the head & neck of the girl in the video you provided or more generally around any subject of interest in a photo, & edit its shape with the Node Tool at any time -- it is 100% non-destructive; erases nothing; & because it duplicates nothing adds very little to the file size, only the small amount of data needed to define the vector shape.

So yes, it is not quite as fast as using Gimp's "only this layer" option, but in return you get a remarkable number of options to 'cut' the layer as you see fit.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...