You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF/X-4 Verification Failures

Having problems exporting PDF/X 4

When opened in Acrobat, when checking Conformance Standard: PDF/X-4, I'm getting: Status: verification failed

I've tested a few jobs exported PDF/X 4 (my print providers recommended format) on first view it does a great job retaining transparent vectors and spots

it's just that I'm guessing most print providers check conformance as part of workflow and I'm assuming if it flags any red X's it prob reject the file

The way round it is to convert to PDF/X-4 in acrobat preflight but I can see it becoming a bit of a balls-ache - just thought it wise to flag this

Other than that I'm really enjoying beta 10 ACE STUFF

I've attached the Acrobat preflight report if this helps

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV_report.pdf

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
On 9/22/2017 at 6:42 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Having problems exporting PDF/X 4

When opened in Acrobat, when checking Conformance Standard: PDF/X-4, I'm getting: Status: verification failed

I've tested a few jobs exported PDF/X 4 (my print providers recommended format) on first view it does a great job retaining transparent vectors and spots

it's just that I'm guessing most print providers check conformance as part of workflow and I'm assuming if it flags any red X's it prob reject the file

The way round it is to convert to PDF/X-4 in acrobat preflight but I can see it becoming a bit of a balls-ache - just thought it wise to flag this

Other than that I'm really enjoying beta 10 ACE STUFF

I've attached the Acrobat preflight report if this helps

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV_report.pdf

Hi Dazmondo77,

Just tried myself with a basic file exported to PDF/X-4 and run through Analyze and it's not reported any errors. Would it be possible for you to upload a copy of the AFDesign file you have used and a screenshot of your export settings please?

Cheer's Sean

Here's the Designer file plus a couple of screen grabs showing my settings and outcome.

I'm just using Affinity Designers standard PDF/X-4 setting with bleed turned on with crops and page info

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV.afdesign

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.46.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.44.45.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Cheer's Sean

Here's the Designer file plus a couple of screen grabs showing my settings and outcome.

I'm just using Affinity Designers standard PDF/X-4 setting with bleed turned on with crops and page info

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV.afdesign

Thanks for the file! I've just exported it out using the exact settings (on both Windows and Mac) and both pass the Acrobat Conformance test. See attached screenshot. I'd be interested to see what your machine does with my PDF?

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV Mac.pdf

Screenshot 2017-09-26 15.27.42.png

Very odd - never had a problem before maybe it's down to Acrobat 9 pro flagging something daft?

What version are you using Sean?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
15 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Very odd - never had a problem before maybe it's down to Acrobat 9 pro flagging something daft?

What version are you using Sean?

It could well be! I'm currently using Acrobat Pro DC. Would you be able to attach one of your PDF exports please and I'll try it myself on Pro DC.

Cheer's Sean ----- Adobe Hey tsk tsk!

This is what I'm getting flagged up from Acrobat Pro 9.5.5

Results (Summary)

Error

Optional content configuration dictionary has no BaseState entry

Optional content configuration dictionary has no ‘OFF’ array

Optional content configuration dictionary has non-empty Order entry

I'm done with greasing the coffers of Adobe but would welcome an alternative if anyone has any recommendations? -- if one exists?

My PDF attached:

Really appreciate your time mate

DBD STRAIGHT JACKET RACKET CD COV.pdf

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Just tested the PDF you generated Sean and it failed - looks like my latest version of Acrobat (Acrotwat) is obsolete!

Now we know "-THE ADOBE -"  would recommend I upgrade...... erm no tar!

Cheer's for you time on this mate -:D

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Just tested the PDF you generated Sean and it failed - looks like my latest version of Acrobat (Acrotwat) is obsolete!

Now we know "-THE ADOBE -"  would recommend I upgrade...... erm no tar!

Cheer's for you time on this mate -:D

Just been looking into the Verify Profiles, and I'm wondering if maybe yours has a custom one set regarding 'Optional content configuration dictionary' (which apparently relates to Layers within the PDF). In the Preflight dialog it could be worth selecting the profile you are using and then click 'Edit' and then look through the different categories (particularly Custom Checks) and see if any relate to the errors above.

• Staff

Hi Dazmondo77,

I've had a further look into this and installed Acrobat 9. Using that I have been able to reproduce the errors you are getting. From what I can tell it seems like Acrobat 9 didn't fully support the PDF/X-4 format. These 'Optional Content Configuration Dictionaries' it refers to are essentially 'Layers'. But for some reason Acrobat 9 is unable to read these from the PDF and just shows 'Default Configuration' instead of the 4 layers that should appear.

I tried creating a simple PDF/X-4 document in InDesign and exporting with layers and that shows the same failures your document does which further cements my understanding that Acrobat 9 doesn't fully support that format.

You can however work around this and get it to verify correctly, but it does require you to NOT use the Affinity 'Layers' object. Looking at your document you have a 'Layer2' object that consists of the 'Dirt Box Disco' black text. 'Layer1' is the guy with green hair's face, 'Flag1' is on the Union Jack t-shirt and lastly 'Layer 1' is used on the chainsaw guy's jacket. If you delete these layers and use groups instead you should be able to export your PDF correctly and get it to verify. However I imagine this 'warning' will be ok with the majority of printers - presuming they're using update Acrobat.

It is worth checking this link here for a little more information.

https://acrobatusers.com/forum/printing-prepress/no-layers-appear-after-using-preflight-fix/

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Just been looking into the Verify Profiles, and I'm wondering if maybe yours has a custom one set regarding 'Optional content configuration dictionary' (which apparently relates to Layers within the PDF). In the Preflight dialog it could be worth selecting the profile you are using and then click 'Edit' and then look through the different categories (particularly Custom Checks) and see if any relate to the errors above.

They're just the standard set of profiles in Acrobat 9 Sean - they always work as expected with indesign generated PDF/X-4 output - thats why I thought it may be an Affinity bug - PDF/X 2001a output from Designer is verified but rasterises any transparent objects - Nay mind - looks like maybe it's something thats over sensitive to non Adobe generated output - looks like it's now fixed with the latest version - still not gonna upgrade

Cheer's  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Dazmondo77,

I've had a further look into this and installed Acrobat 9. Using that I have been able to reproduce the errors you are getting. From what I can tell it seems like Acrobat 9 didn't fully support the PDF/X-4 format. These 'Optional Content Configuration Dictionaries' it refers to are essentially 'Layers'. But for some reason Acrobat 9 is unable to read these from the PDF and just shows 'Default Configuration' instead of the 4 layers that should appear.

I tried creating a simple PDF/X-4 document in InDesign and exporting with layers and that shows the same failures your document does which further cements my understanding that Acrobat 9 doesn't fully support that format.

You can however work around this and get it to verify correctly, but it does require you to NOT use the Affinity 'Layers' object. Looking at your document you have a 'Layer2' object that consists of the 'Dirt Box Disco' black text. 'Layer1' is the guy with green hair's face, 'Flag1' is on the Union Jack t-shirt and lastly 'Layer 1' is used on the chainsaw guy's jacket. If you delete these layers and use groups instead you should be able to export your PDF correctly and get it to verify. However I imagine this 'warning' will be ok with the majority of printers - presuming they're using update Acrobat.

It is worth checking this link here for a little more information.

https://acrobatusers.com/forum/printing-prepress/no-layers-appear-after-using-preflight-fix/

Hope that helps!

Great stuff Sean

Tried your suggestion of placing contents of any layers into a group and deleting the empty layers and it verified ACE although, as you say, it should be fine as most print providers will be using latest Acrobat or Pitstop to preflight pdfs -

I did actually try copy and pasting the contents of the whole designer file into indesign and generate a PDF/X-4 file and it verified, although, it rasterised some of the transparent objects pretty lo-rez - ACROBAT 9 hey!!!!!

Awesome work Sean:79_smiley_cat:

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

pdfToolbox verifies/certifies the PDF properly:

capture-001424.png.ab00163a389bbf1fd57afb04b8b838f4.png

In the off chance you do consider updating Acrobat, try pdfToolbox instead. callas is who licenses the Preflight (and other) modules to Adobe for use in their products, including Acrobat.

pdfToolbox cannot edit text, etc., in a PDF. But for preflighting, fixing, etc., etc., a PDF, it actually does some things properly that Acrobat doesn't and adds some value-added functions such as imposition tasks.

Mike

Cheer's for the recommendation MikeW

PDFToolbox would be the obvious choice but at £400 odd it's a little expensive for my piece of mind, as I'm currently self employed - my mind is put to rest after Sean ran the PDF through Acrobat Pro DC and it verified.

PDFToolbox would have been a dream come true for me 10 years ago when I was involved in repro as well as the design and illustration side, The amount of times I had to take a clients PDF and insert it into InDesign, add bleed and allow for creep (when possible) and output using indesign's print booklet feature - we did end up with a massive time saver, once I'd talked the boss into getting bad printools though 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

No worries. I do understand it is costly. Like a new license of Acrobat. An upgrade to a perpetual license Acrobat shouldn't be so bad though...but if concerned about a particular pdf, you can always ping me and I would be glad to help where I can.

Not that it likely helps you as the cost is still there, but Quark has a current deal if one cross-grades from just about anything or upgrades any previous version of QXP, pdfToolbox is included at no charge.

Anyway, my door's always open.

49 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Not that it likely helps you as the cost is still there, but Quark has a current deal if one cross-grades from just about anything or upgrades any previous version of QXP, pdfToolbox is included at no charge.

That's an excellent deal, given that the cross-grade itself saves you $450 and pdfToolbox on its own usually costs more than that.

From the Quark Store Competitive Upgrade page:

QuarkXPress 2017 Competitive Upgrade

Attention InDesign, CorelDraw and Microsoft Publisher users – Save over 50% now on switching to QuarkXPress. Save $450! All you need is a qualifying competitive product.

For a limited time and for just $399 ($849) you can purchase a full new commercial license of QuarkXPress 2017 (Mac/Win). This saves you $450! The perpetual license is yours to own and can be upgraded to future versions.

If you have one of the following competitive products you qualify for this offer:

Adobe InDesign®, Adobe FrameMaker®, Adobe Lightroom®, Adobe PageMaker®, Adobe Photoshop®, Capture One Pro®, CorelDraw®, Microsoft Publisher® and Serif PagePlus®. All versions of qualifying products are accepted, perpetual and rental schemes, single products, or part of a suite or part of any Creative Cloud.

Don’t see your product on the list?

Don't despair! Contact us through our customer service and tell us about it. If it is a competitive product, chances are good that we will add it.

In addition to the lifetime license of QuarkXPress you will get:

• 60-day free technical support
  • Access to our exclusive QuarkXPress Facebook Mastermind Group
  • QuarkXPress Video Tutorial Series from publishing expert Martin Turner
  • Cross-platform license, allowing you to run QuarkXPress on Mac and Win
  • Dual-activation, allowing for installation on two computers

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Cheer's guys I'll just carry on using the work-around (using groups instead of layers / convert layers to groups)

Really tempted by the Quark offer - just don't have the cash knocking around at the moment --- 'HURRY UP PUBLISHER!'

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.