You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Designer) Sound wave

Hi,

What's the best way to do a custom sound wave in Designer? I tried with the pen tool, but it doesn't look like music at all.

Thank you

----

EDIT :

I think I found a way to do it by snapping to grid and draw the lines from there, but the problem I have is to make the curve circular instead of straight line. Any idea to make all the corners having the same curve?

I'm guessing you are using the pen tool in polygon mode, and not smooth mode. Select one of your sharp edged lines, activate the node tool, select all, and then click on the smooth node widget in the context bar. May give you something close to what you want. Prob'ly will need to tweak the node handles.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

11 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Prob'ly will need to tweak the node handles.

Prob'ly easier to start from scratch in Smooth mode so that you won't need to tweak anything! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you want a rounded shape where the line changes direction, I think you need to draw it as a series of discrete lines:

59d0dc17882d0_Diffrent-Strokes.png.0946f0f714c89e340a0eab4eacdfbfae.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can try adjusting the phase to move the dashes along the curve so each corner dash is centered on its corner node, but unless you are very lucky that will only work for one or two corners. Changing the node positions slightly and/or adjusting the dash & space lengths might help with that but the interface is not well suited for this, so it is unlikely you will be able to get everything adjusted properly.

What @Alfred suggested is probably the best approach but it is probably going to take a lot of fiddling to get each line to have equal dash lengths at the corners, & it may not be possible to get both ends to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7