AintSryBoutIt

How Do You Remove Lines From Letters?

Hello,

I've been playing with a some lettering and working on a new type. For example, I've taken the cross-dash in the "A" and moved the nodes to the bottom to make it look like an upside down "V". (It also happens on my "E") However, when I go to print, there's a very small line still at the bottom and I'd like very much to get rid of it. Every time I try to mess with the nodes now, the letter ends up out of whack. What's the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you!

IPSCO Logo - Black + White (300).png

Hi AintSryBoutIt,

Please could you provide a copy of the file so I can see the lines you are referring to?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

23 hours ago, AintSryBoutIt said:

I've been playing with a some lettering and working on a new type. For example, I've taken the cross-dash in the "A" and moved the nodes to the bottom to make it look like an upside down "V".

Instead of simply moving the nodes down (which will give you a triangle in this example) you need to break the curve at each end of the crossbar to give you a separate object which you can delete.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

This might sound like a daft question, but could't you just use a V and turn it upside down (flip vertically) ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Type an E Convert it to curves. Draw a shape over the top, select both layers, and go Layer > Geometry > Subtract.

cutter.png.b6742e0b4dcceaf7bb1811206b12cc29.png

You will get this

ecut.png.4ba8ea445f8c42213f355992a3ad1642.png

Go Layer > Geometry > Divide  to make individual shapes.

Drag them to length

ewide.png.78f7a4644d1ca5945ce95070d2c1aac6.png

Group them into one

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

One should be able to just select the 4 nodes of the A crossbar and delete them. 

Because the "A" converts to a Curves object (two curves, the smaller one representing the open space above the crossbar) when I delete those four nodes I am left with a filled in shape of the outline of the letter, more or less just a triangle whose base extends to the baseline instead of an inverted V shape.

@Alfred's method works, as does @toltec's boolean method if I (for example) add a rectangle over part of the crossbar, subtract it from the A shape & then delete the extra nodes in the crossbar area.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1