You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do You Remove Lines From Letters?

Hello,

I've been playing with a some lettering and working on a new type. For example, I've taken the cross-dash in the "A" and moved the nodes to the bottom to make it look like an upside down "V". (It also happens on my "E") However, when I go to print, there's a very small line still at the bottom and I'd like very much to get rid of it. Every time I try to mess with the nodes now, the letter ends up out of whack. What's the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you!

IPSCO Logo - Black + White (300).png

23 hours ago, AintSryBoutIt said:

I've been playing with a some lettering and working on a new type. For example, I've taken the cross-dash in the "A" and moved the nodes to the bottom to make it look like an upside down "V".

Instead of simply moving the nodes down (which will give you a triangle in this example) you need to break the curve at each end of the crossbar to give you a separate object which you can delete.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Type an E Convert it to curves. Draw a shape over the top, select both layers, and go Layer > Geometry > Subtract.

cutter.png.b6742e0b4dcceaf7bb1811206b12cc29.png

You will get this

ecut.png.4ba8ea445f8c42213f355992a3ad1642.png

Go Layer > Geometry > Divide  to make individual shapes.

Drag them to length

ewide.png.78f7a4644d1ca5945ce95070d2c1aac6.png

Group them into one

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

One should be able to just select the 4 nodes of the A crossbar and delete them. 

Because the "A" converts to a Curves object (two curves, the smaller one representing the open space above the crossbar) when I delete those four nodes I am left with a filled in shape of the outline of the letter, more or less just a triangle whose base extends to the baseline instead of an inverted V shape.

@Alfred's method works, as does @toltec's boolean method if I (for example) add a rectangle over part of the crossbar, subtract it from the A shape & then delete the extra nodes in the crossbar area.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I wanted to do the same thing with the letter A and remove the horizontal bar:

Artistic text tool: typed in Letter A

Layer> Convert to Curves

Select Node Tool and swipe-select the nodes you want to remove

Go To Break Curve

Deselect then swipe-select the (now broken) nodes again

Hit Delete

Select the nodes to join

Go to Join Curves

Select the remaining pair of nodes to join and go to Close Curves

Made a quick MP4 - see attached