morbandit

[By Design] Insert behind selection toggle keeps resetting

7 posts in this topic

See this thread; it does not function as is implied by the UI which either shows a toggle button or a checkbox, implying the setting should remain in place even after inserting a new object.

It also doesn't function at all when duplicating or pasting objects.

Hi morbandit I shall pass an improvement on to the development team to see about making the insertion target sticky. 

I wouldn't expect this to work on duplication as this duplicates the object as is with all it's attributes. This does work with pasting for me thoug, you need to make sure you have your target layer selected.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

So this is by design as it is felt that keeping it sticky will make it generally to confusing for most as it will be left on without people realising

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

this is by design as it is felt that keeping it sticky will make it generally to confusing for most as it will be left on without people realising

How about removing the feature all together - then it will not be confusing to anyone?

I am serious!

At present, users who want the option to change how objects are stacked on creation are being misled (by the help file, the UI and reasonable assumptions based upon similar toggles) that AD will give them this control.

Users who would be confused by the toggle sticking are, IMHO, just as likely to be confused by the current setup…

• They must remember that the feature exists
  • Remember where it is located.
  • Remember to click it before creating the new object.
  • And remember to have the correct layer selected (so that the relative positioning makes sense).
  • Plus, understand that this is a sequence that they must perform each time they want to deviate from the default!

I honestly thing that just creating the object anywhere and then moving it is easier for everyone than the currently implemented solution.

My preferred outcome would be a sticky toggle (as discussed HERE). I really hope the developers revisit this particular design choice!

morbandit likes this

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

12 hours ago, Chris_K said:

So this is by design as it is felt that keeping it sticky will make it generally to confusing for most as it will be left on without people realising

Can you explain why the feature even exists then? How is it useful to click that then do something every single time?

Aammppaa likes this

It would be so much better if there was a preference for that: insertion mode toggles (I'll leave proper wording to you, alright?). Best of both worlds, no supposed confusion and control for those that need it.

Cheers,

Matt

Mark Ingram and morbandit like this