You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone, new to the forum and have used Affinity Design in a very basic way for some time now, and I can't seem to figure out how to cut out part of a shape. I have 2 letters surrounded by a circle to make a logo, but want to cut out part of the circle so one of the letters has space around it. I have attached a picture with a circled "W" that shows what I want my logo to do where one part of the w doesn't connect to the circle. 

Then you will see my logo with 2 red circles where I want to separate the white circle from the end tail of the letter b. I am ignorant about a lot of the graphic design terminology so please forgive me. I just don't know what to do. 

eb circle help.jpg

• Staff

Hi swhite44,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I don't know if the letters on your logo are a shape or a single line. In any case the basic idea/process is to duplicate the object or line, add a stroke to it - large enough to create the gap you want -, then convert that stroke to a shape and subtract it from the circle. Here's the steps:

remove_part_of_logo.gif

You can also do this through masking if you don't want to convert the circle to a shape. In that case create a rectangle bigger enough to cover the circle (set a fill colour - any colour will do -, and no stroke: this is important because the circle will only be visible inside the filled area of the rectangle), convert the small line we created into a shape (after enlarging the stroke) and subtract it from the rectangle. Drag the rectangle over the thumbnail of the circle (you should see a small vertical blue line on the right of the thumbnail when you are hovering the right spot) then release the mouse button. You are now using the rectangle as a mask for the circle.