You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

apply same filter (or effect) to each layer with varying parameters?

Hi,

Is there any way to progressively apply a single filter to all layers, with the strength varying by layer?

I have been using Gaussian blur to mimic a depth of field effect in a multilayer image (e.g attached), by applying progressively stronger Gaussian blur (and brightness adjustment) to the layers further away from the desired focus point.

Unfortunately in AP at present this is quite tedious, as it requires going though each layer and manually changing the gaussian blur radius. Is there (or will there be) any way to automate a process like this? It would be very useful!

Cheers

Oli

test.jpg

Hi @MEB

Depth of field just fakes the effect - blurring everything but for a specific region in a flat layer, as I understand it, which is not what I want. I have individual layers (10-20) corresponding to different focal planes, which I want to apply a filter of varying strength to. How does one automate this using a macro?

Cheers

Oli

• Staff

Yes, i'm aware it's not the same. Was just a suggestion. In that case only through a macro. I'm not sure if all actions are recordable since i haven't created one to check this specifically, but seems the only way to achieve what you want. To create a Macro open the Macro panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Macro), press Record and start performing the actions as you would do manually to achieve the effect you want. You can then save it to the Library (from the icon on the top of the Macro panel) for later reuse.

Thanks @MEB! Hmmm - that's probably the only way, but it doesn't seem very flexible at the moment - e.g. if I always have the same number of layers it is okay, but there's no way that I can tell to for example create a macro and then tweak the extent of the varied gaussian filter radius, or the number of layers that it is applied to.

It would be useful to be able to set variables in macros for this purpose, or to have conditional actions - e.g. if the document has ten layers, perform action for bottom 5, decreasing the strength of the filter by "x" px each time. Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Oli

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.