You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.83

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed crash when access is denied to the ProgramData directory (diverts to user's AppData)
  • Fixed objects not adding to symbols correctly
  • Fixed crash pressing up arrow in opacity edit box
  • Fixed SVG import not using units (was always at 72dpi)
  • Fixed SVG loading of hidden attributes
  • Fixed SVG loading of strokes with no line style but with width
  • Added ability to break curves in multiple places at once
  • Fixed export to allow forward slash
  • Fixed Brush Dialog not updating after changes to context bar or via shortcuts
  • Fixed being unable to rotate image past -0.7 when using increment
  • Fixed Export Size not changing when using Selection with/without Background
  • Fixed colour swatches dragging colours from the panel over objects
  • Fixed Gradient Tool flyout disappearing when trying to adjust RGB Sliders
  • Fixed SVG import of stroke-dasharray values when the array has an odd number of items
  • Fixed SVG import of stroke-dasharray="0" (now parsed the same way as stroke-dasharray="none")
  • Fixed SVG import to use case-insensitive colour names
  • Fixed Asset panel expansion state not being remembered
  • Fixed Preferences > Performance dialog entries shifted too far left
  • Fixed missing warning icons in Export Persona
  • Added PSB file extension to open dialog
  • Fixed pixel-preview between 200% and 400% when the user chooses ‘Slowest’ retina rendering
  • Fixed images copied from Microsoft paint appearing upside down
  • Fixed not opening maximized after resetting the Preferences options
  • Fixed Swatches panel 'Create palette from image' incorrectly needing document
  • Fixed having a .(dot) before the file extension not populating the Save As dialog
  • Fixed equations not flagged red if they are not complete and correct
  • Fixed Export allows decimal point pixel sizes
  • Fixed manually editing guides on second artboard give incorrect value
  • Fixed starting or opening a document with no visible window area causes it to be inverted

Known Issues (that did not affect earlier betas)

• Brush Editor dialog sliders are laggy (fixed in next beta)

Add to "Known Issues":

- Rect Marquee Tool + cut & paste (Pixel) still doesn't insert at original position

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

• Staff
Just now, af-user said:

Add to "Known Issues":

- Rect Marquee Tool + cut & paste still doesn't insert at original position

"Known issues" in the context of this post are regression in this build over the earlier beta build. We could be here all day listing known issues. I will adjust the original post as this is an understandable interpretation.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

;) I thought so, because only to mention one "known issue" was forcing me to add this like I did, soory!

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Font family favorites are not remembered correctly. If I choose a font family by selecting the heart icon for favorite it shows up on the list for "favorites". But I'm seeing that after I select the font for favorites that the beta 1.6.0.83 "forgets" the choices I made for favorites.

• Staff
5 hours ago, HagensWatch said:

Font family favorites are not remembered correctly. If I choose a font family by selecting the heart icon for favorite it shows up on the list for "favorites". But I'm seeing that after I select the font for favorites that the beta 1.6.0.83 "forgets" the choices I made for favorites.

Hi HagensWatch,

I've tried this myself and found that after clicking the Heart icon they are appearing in the Favourites section of the dropdown and also on the Characters Panel as well. I've tried restarting the application and find the favourites are being retained.

Are you able to record a video showing the issue? Or even a step by step of what you are doing to reproduce the issue?

2 hours ago, Kelteseth said:

Since the last preview I have constantly issues with my CPU load in idle with affinity. Anyone else experience this?

tomuchcpu.PNG

Sorry, not seeing this here.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

When I start AP I can hear the fan speeding up. That last only while "Usermode Driver Font Driver Host" is running in the first few seconds the application is started. It then dissapear from the running tasks and CPU load is back to normal. It's been like that since the Fonts list has been updated.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

15 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi HagensWatch,

I've tried this myself and found that after clicking the Heart icon they are appearing in the Favourites section of the dropdown and also on the Characters Panel as well. I've tried restarting the application and find the favourites are being retained.

Are you able to record a video showing the issue? Or even a step by step of what you are doing to reproduce the issue?

Script fonts seem to be the issue. I'm noticing that it might be related to the previews of the script fonts since sans serif fonts are the ones I'm not having problems with. But this issue is a definite. I'm seeing this constantly. I select fonts for favorites and when I search for them after making them favorites....the beta "loses" that font and I have to use "All" to find that font. 

• Staff
9 hours ago, HagensWatch said:

Script fonts seem to be the issue. I'm noticing that it might be related to the previews of the script fonts since sans serif fonts are the ones I'm not having problems with. But this issue is a definite. I'm seeing this constantly. I select fonts for favorites and when I search for them after making them favorites....the beta "loses" that font and I have to use "All" to find that font. 

Are you able to give me a list of fonts you are finding this with please? I'm still unable to reproduce this.

5 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Please @Mark Ingram fix the leading override increase/decrease (arrow button) on the character panel. It does nothing clicking them at least since version 1.5.I've reported it before... Thanks

Ya sure?

capture-001425.png.94b6b5696f15c7870f5145d8bac240e5.png

Type in a value, or pick one from the dropdown list. then use the arrows. If it is on Auto, they don't work. It could be argued that the up/down arrows ought to begin with the Auto value and increment up/down from there. And I think I would agree. But they do work.

• Staff
1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Ya sure?

Type in a value, or pick one from the dropdown list. then use the arrows. If it is on Auto, they don't work. It could be argued that the up/down arrows ought to begin with the Auto value and increment up/down from there. And I think I would agree. But they do work.

The issue regarding them not working on Auto and has been reported and fixed by development. It should be made available in the beta soon, but may have missed the cut off for the next build.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Ya sure?

I think it should work from auto too, at least in the mac version works from auto, and if you switch from Mac and Windows as i do, and this is something i use a lot to fit better some text boxes, sometimes just a click on the increase will do the job, i just don't want to type it manually, because i do it "visually". I really miss that from Mac version. But that's only my opinion.

@Sean P Thanks. Waiting for the next beta!

Also fonts related, the style order of fonts on Windows is just random, but on Mac they are fine! I've complained about this on the 1.5 version as well and it hasn't been addressed to this day.

This is what I'm talking about:

xyVTFl.jpg.ea5e43c9f97acaf9a6c343a21e49583e.jpgX5eOdx.jpg.35d3a6fb2c656c484dc8a2b3a124cb17.jpg

What's the logic of this order? I mean Regular, Bold, Bold Italic, then Italic, then Black etc... I mean, why!?

Can you please do something about it?

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

I love the Assets browser but every time I switch the library I takes a few seconds to load the icons on a Ryzen 1700,32GB DDR4, 500GB NVMe Samsung SSD. The other thing that bothers me, is that every time I switch assets libraries I have to reenter my search query. This is painfully slow if I want to search for a spesific icon in different assets libraries.:3_grin: