You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFP+AFD: Repeat last action shortcut key

I don't think there is anything like that but I am curious about what specifically you mean by "Repeat Last Action" & how that would work. The only thing I know of that are called actions in either app are those on the Context toolbar for the Pen & Node tools. Those actions only make sense in certain contexts (at least one curve or node is selected, etc.) & repeating them would not change anything I can think of.

So I assume you mean "action" in some other, more general sense, but I am still having trouble thinking of what kind of actions could be repeated that would work or do anything useful other than possibly in a few, very specific contexts. Can you go into more detail about that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, Guys,

Sorry about not making myself clear:

I have a number of lines in a circle radiating out from the centre.( 1 line per degree), in a quarter circle.

4 of those lines I have to make short, every 5th has to stay a little bit longer.

I've tried : a boolean operation by adding another circle >select all > subtract : doesn't work. Either the circle gets deleted, or the degree lines disappear.

I've tried : Either Grouping them & > Xform Panel > type in the new value. Tried with various rotation centre-settings. Doesn't work. I end up woth a weird looking bunched up knot of lines...

I've tried the same as above, ungrouped, but all selected, same weird knot of bunched up lines.(various rotational centres, same result)

So, now I did it one by one. Tedious, bt it worked.

Hence my question : shortcut key to repeat the last action (or should I say :last function ?), same as with the Filters.

Here's the file, please have at it :)

degrees1.afdesign

1 hour ago, catlover said:

Here's the file, please have at it :)

If it was me, I would do this:

1. Delete all the degree marks except the 12 o'clock one.

2. Duplicate it.

3. Shorten the dup in place to the desired length & position: I assumed it should be as long as the third blue circle on Layer 2, which as a diameter of 167.4 mm, so I entered 167.4/2 in the transform panel for its height with the lower left anchor point selected. That locates it precisely (I think).

4. With the same anchor point selected, rotate the dup to -1° in the Transform panel.

5. Power duplicate 3 times to get degree marks at -2°, -3°, & -4°.

6. Group all five degree marks & duplicate the group.

7. Repeat this procedure as above, this time using groups: use the same anchor point, rotate the first duplicate group to -5°, & power duplicate to complete the quarter circle.

8. Either stop at the 18th group & copy a long degree from any group to the -90° position or do 19 groups & delete all the short degree marks from the 19th one.

You should end up with something like this: degree marks.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, owenr said:

Was about to post the same except I would use symbols so that future editing is a piece of cake (given the shape of the design, theres a pun in there somewhere :D).

I thought about mentioning symbols on edit (when I fixed 90° to -90°) but you beat me to it. ^_^

Puns: would using symbols be considered the icing on the cake? (OK, that's terrible, but I've got nothing else ATM.)  :P

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, catlover said:

Weddings = marzipan covered, christmas = whipped cream covered, booze soaked interior & the lot gets covered in whipped cream anyway xD

"Weddings" "marzipan" ! No wonder the divorce rate is over 50% xD

The boozy Christmas cake sound good though. :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am a long-time CorelDRAW user and have used that program over Illustrator for years. I am attempting to recreate workflows with Affinity products. That said,

one thing I do a LOT in CD is use the repeat function. For example, if I'm breaking up a group of objects to isolate them from a larger group, I drag one of them outside the artboard. Then select other pieces and press F4 (repeat) which  repeats the last action taken.

Another example is when rotating lines at specific angles for bisecting a shape. In this instance, I constrain rotation the first time I adjust a line and duplicate it at the same time. When I press F4, it performs the same action on the currently selected item (my new line) and replicates it at the new angle.

I can think of a number of instances where a repeat command would be helpful. Changing the fill or attributes on objects after having applied it to another object, step & repeat, etc. 

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that struck off the top of my head.

18 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

I am a long-time CorelDRAW user and have used that program over Illustrator for years. I am attempting to recreate workflows with Affinity products. That said,

one thing I do a LOT in CD is use the repeat function. For example, if I'm breaking up a group of objects to isolate them from a larger group, I drag one of them outside the artboard. Then select other pieces and press F4 (repeat) which  repeats the last action taken.

Another example is when rotating lines at specific angles for bisecting a shape. In this instance, I constrain rotation the first time I adjust a line and duplicate it at the same time. When I press F4, it performs the same action on the currently selected item (my new line) and replicates it at the new angle.

I can think of a number of instances where a repeat command would be helpful. Changing the fill or attributes on objects after having applied it to another object, step & repeat, etc. 

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that struck off the top of my head.

Yes, it's very useful in Microsoft Office apps, too, and I've often missed it in Affinity apps.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for repeat last action command 

I'd use this all over the place. Just a couple of exmaples:

• At the moment, editing a table, changing cell border for only some cells... having set parameters once, being able to select the next set of cells in a table (same or different table) and <repeat previous> saves a tone of time.
  • Change font attribute for selected text, select next block of text, <repeat previous>
  • Add a style to an image... select next image, <repeat previous>
  • ... and so on, this list is endless

Honestly this seems a rather obvious feature to have.  I would also assign a magic mouse action to make it even quicker and easier to invoke.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently nothing from Serif? I just finished creating some floorplans in Designer. There's an element on the plans (fire extinguishers) that need to be made larger. Selecting one, scaling it, and then selecting each of the other 24 of these would be much faster if I could simply click on the next one and choose Repeat.

1 hour ago, Clayton King said:

There's an element on the plans (fire extinguishers) that need to be made larger. Selecting one, scaling it, and then selecting each of the other 24 of these would be much faster if I could simply click on the next one and choose Repeat.

A bit late now but using symbols for that element would probably be the fastest way to resize them, assuming they all need to be set to the same size.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, 

I'm a 3D artist working with a software called Maya. There is also a repeat last action key. It's a huge time saver. If I translate it's action to designer it would look like this, for example:

• Click Path
  • Choose "Expand stroke" over the menu
  • click the next path 
  • hit repeat last action key
  • Affinity repeats "Expand stroke" 
  • click next path
  • and so on....

Would be awesome to have something similar in Designer. 

With all my heart I vote for implementing "repeat last action" to make Affinity Designer even more awesome! 

Go Serif! You can do it! :)

2 hours ago, bendreality said:

If I translate it's action to designer it would look like this, for example:

For that example, why not just select all the paths first & then use "Expand Stroke" to do that in one step?

Affinity Photo