You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blurred high-pass sharpen

Here's a cute variation on sharpening that seems good for faces, based off the video here. It uses the Bilateral Blur, which is good at preserving edges while it blurs the rest of the image (eg. to stop sharpening skin).

1. Duplicate layer
  2. Apply live Bilateral Blur filter to top layer. Adjust to soften image while preserving main edges.
  3. Apply live High Pass to top layer. Adjust to suit.
  4. Blend the top layer, for example with Hard Light (or other contrast mode).

Using live filters means you can still play with the settings. You can also play with using other blur modes in step 2. Keep an eye on the greyed top layer (turn off bottom layer to see this). If you can't see any edge, you won't get any sharpening.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

I did it like this (two-layer). Any effective difference?

two-layer.png

It's quite handy to be able to switch back and forth between the BB and the HP to get the best edge selection. Turning off the bottom layer lets you see the grey layer, which can help. Turning Preserve Alpha on and off on the BB I can't see any change in the image.

You can even do it like this (one-layer), saving a pixel layer.

one-layer.png

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

... replacing the bilateral blur with a median blur, which also preserves edges, has a very similar effect. A difference is the bilateral version has two sliders to play with...

Dave Straker

On 26.9.2017 at 10:32 PM, dmstraker said:

one-layer.png

that looks better actually, because it works on any group as well and thus on any layer composition 

thanks 

EDIT:

I just do not see this working for me, the blur blurs the image and then sharpens it, thus is is not the same effects actually it is just a weird effect, how did it work out for you?

Ah. Interesting. Not the same effect!

Attached is a simple test. Three groups and a layer. Bottom layer is test image of progressively blurred lines. Zoom in to pixel level to see effects. Three groups are three different attempts. Progressively hide groups to see effect. Top two groups have same effect. Bottom group is different -- shows you're right, MBd. I learned something here. Thanks! I also tried shuffling the order of the adjustments in the bottom group to no avail, btw.

bilateral_sharpening_test.afphoto

Dave Straker

• 3 weeks later...