You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Insert picture as new layer - position

Hi, I'm using Affinity Photo 1.5.2 on Windows 10 and still have one really annoying problem. When I add new picture as as new layer, it doen't fit, or better - its not centered (like in picture posted as attachment) What am I doing wrong?. Also, when I change size of the whole window, program doesn't keep canvas centered (which is not such a big problem, but also sometimes a bit annoying). Thank you for answer.

layers.jpg

As toltec says. File/Place..., find your image. Then draw it onto the screen. Easy and powerful. You can later reshape, move, etc. it with the Move tool. Right-click the layer and Rasterise to convert it to a traditional pixel layer, if you like.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Thank you for answers, but it's not really solution of my problem. It doesn't work in drag&drop method and still - I would have to click just into center of image or manually trying to fit it.
I will try to explain problem more precisely - I have 2 different version of one same photo (for example photo with different exposures). Both pictures have the same resolution. In all software I have used (GIMP, Paint.net, older photoshop), when I drag and drop (in just insert) this new image in same size as a new layer, it's automatically on the same position.. and I can work. No more positioning. I dont believe AP cant do that. It must be bug or something wrong filled in setting (just look at my attachment - 2 layers in same size).

Edit: Ok, I can use arrange button and choose what I wanted, but without option for preset (still quite annoying). Similar problem is orientation of pictures - when I open them, AP finds out orientation in right way. Drag and drop again as a new layer and...problem (look at attachment 2).

I guess, this is not default behavior? I hope so...maybe bug in windows version 1.5.2?

example2.jpg

For me Drag and Drop places the image at the cursor position once I release the "mouse" button (which for me is what I would want it to do)

So if you want the image exactly on top the other image, move the cursor to the Top/Left of the image and then release the mouse button.

As regards the orientation problem, I think I read (somewhere on this forum) that some smart phones records the orientation that the picture was taken in, in the EXIF data which causes problems in some of the functions within Affinty Photo.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, Kája said:

I have 2 different version of one same photo (for example photo with different exposures).

As carl123 says.

When you drag the second file in, you have to tell Photo where you want it, based on the top left corner. All boxes, frames and pictures start from the top left. It is pretty standard.

As you drag the picture in, place the pointer over the top left hand corner (see image), release and that will do it for you.

drag.png.8d98f6f05283b50b74e653d607d54580.png

If you miss slightly, if snapping is on, you can move the second image a fraction to align it to the first image. It will snap into the exact place.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 months later...

So why don't you just implement a funcion, as it's a common feature in all other photo application, to drag a file (picture) onto the layer window and let it automatically center the podition. The resizing and placing onto the lower layer should be easy than. This would help to adapt from other programms much faster and it's not that confusing as it is right now.

For my opinion the way as it is right now, it is a good solution, if it's one of more options to choose from. People could choose their favorite method to add new layers.

Please add the option to just drag&drop pictures into the layer window, it would improve the workflow so much!

With kind Regards, Damian.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The other problem is when place (from menu) or drag photo to be new layer, the new photo layer is too much bigger than the first one. The photo resolution is the same, DPI is the same but drag drop and boom... it is too large. I have to scale it down, arrange it to the same position on EVERY new photo layer.