You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Management weirdness

@David4: I didn't know what to delete. I first tried to delete all preferences and as it was successfull I deleted file by file until I found the right one. I only have one file on my system for Affinty Photo. Other occurences are from Affinity Designer and Beta versions (look at the  com.seriflabs. part of the path).

I think you don't need preventing file creation, just delete the file(s) and restart your Mac, when your display profile changes.

I deleted all profiles, reseted the PRAM and also installed the latest combo update. Nothing changes. But after deleting some stuff I found the file which causes Affinity to stuck with the old display profile.

When I delete this file, everything is fine:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/objectstyles.propcol

Tekl,  Still doesn't work.

When You find another solution, let us know.

David

andrew,  the problem with the non color managed second display is not related to the profile version or matrix vs lut it is simply a missing feature or bug. 

I'm running a dual display system, no issues. The image I've checked, in ProPhoto RGB and tagged as such, previews correctly and matches what I see in other ICC aware app's like Photoshop exactly! 

http://digitaldog.net/files/PSvsAffinity.jpg

Photoshop left, Affinity Photo 1.4.1 right. 

Not sure what you mean by "the non color managed second display"

Sure wished I could have the same result.  Must be a step I am missing.  Don't know what it is.

Images on my PA271(2) show no match for my use.  On my MacBook Pro, 8,3, 17inch non-glare display, attempting to profile with i1Profiler (impossible) images look similar.   The MacBook Pro display is useless for my work.

What I am trying to write, is, cannot tell the differences with using my MBPro display, and I can tell the difference when using my external PA271

I'm running a dual display system, no issues. The image I've checked, in ProPhoto RGB and tagged as such, previews correctly and matches what I see in other ICC aware app's like Photoshop exactly! 

http://digitaldog.net/files/PSvsAffinity.jpg

Photoshop left, Affinity Photo 1.4.1 right. 

Not sure what you mean by "the non color managed second display"

Images on my PA271(2) show no match for my use.  On my MacBook Pro, 8,3, 17inch non-glare display, attempting to profile with i1Profiler (impossible) images look similar.   The MacBook Pro display is useless for my work.

I'm also driving the SpectraView using a MBP. NEC is profiled with SpectraView. So on the NEC the preview is off or on the MBP display, profiled with i1P? You're running both displays at the same time and showing what on each? IOW, I have the main app running on the NEC and all is fine. The MacBook is the 2nd display (doesn't have menu bar) so no images appear there of course. 

When I drag the window from NEC to Macbook, so it's the 'main' display and showing both image and all menu items, it previews correctly (it doesn't nor do I expect it to match the NEC!). 

In i1Profiler, make sure you don't build a V4 profile. I suspect the profile there is the issue. Might trash it and just use the 'default' profile (EDID) and see if the issue goes away. IF SO, it's the ICC profile for your Macbook. 

Hi All,

I have the same issues, so I thought of trying an Adobe RGB 1998 profile  to double check with a Tiff to see the colour rendition, and I get also differences using the same colour profile in Capture One and Affinity Photo. See attachments. 

I cannot upload the Tiff as it is too big, but take a look at the screen shot, see the differences in the colours

I get the same colours with the other applications. Hopefully this thread solves helps AP to solve the issue

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

Newbee to Affinity Designer (Windows Beta) here. I just found this post while searching for colour calibration after editing then exporting the images to be quite surprised how different they were exported compared to when viewed in Affinity Designer - and was trying to see if there was an internal calibration/explanation for this.

There's a couple of screengrabs here that graphically (and non-technically) but clearly shows the problem:

The first image here (affinity-colour-comparison-b.png) shows the 24bit png exported from affinity but displayed in Chrome (top) and MS Edge (bottom). Note reasonably well-balance colours of the two guys whereas the girl is overly saturated towards red (most glaringly):

affinity-colour-comparison-b.png

The second image here (affinity-colour-comparison-a.png) shows second 24bit png exported from affinity Chrome (top) and MS Edge (bottom) but this time I've overlain the top image part of the image with a screengrab of what I can see directly in Affinity Designer (Windows Beta). As you can easily see the two gents now look quite jaundiced (towards yellow) in comparison with girl who now looks more natural (less colourised). The two colour swabs are eyedrop grabs from the same pixel so you can easily see how far out the pixels are (taken from the central area of the main gent's forehead). IE First swab is the pixel colour as it appears in chrome/edge and second swab is the same pixel grabbed in Affinity Designer.

affinity-colour-comparison-a.png

I don't believe I have a more technical way of specifiying the difference and thought it better to show this for your eyes to see directly, although feel free to download test more precisely - assuming the Affinity Designer team browse and reply to these forums?

Although checking the document set-up again I can see that the document setup seems to be stuck in 'print' mode even though I've tried to edit/change that mode several times back to 'web' mode.

If anyone (or the developers) have any idea what the error/discrepancy is I'd appreciate the feedback and hope this helps anyone else looking into Affinity colour calibration issues. I'd better re-check the manual meantime or more than 5 hours on this will be out the window! :-)

Quantos.

Hmm. Looking further I can see that my Affinity Designer application seems to be stuck in 'print' mode whatever I try, new docs, editing existing docs anyway. I can't see what actual difference that makes (from the Help system) but would that explain the colour differences anyway? Can't see how it should if we separately specifying the colour profiles used by the document.

Anyone know?

Q.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue after upgrading to 1.5., see attachments, changing the menu bar did not help. Photoshop takes the picture over from LR correctly, AP does not. Additionally the adjustment menu font looks fuzzy.

post-29516-0-79529700-1485984226_thumb.jpeg

post-29516-0-56514000-1485984479_thumb.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Thanks @hschneider. I think you've solved the problem (workround) I've just posted about on two other threads. Apologies everyone. I'll update those threads but working here but for me I get best colour matching if I set Colour Profile to match the colour profile of my monitor (DELL U2713H Color Profile, D6500). Switching the Colour Profile to use Adobe RGB (1998) gets it close but my own DELL U2713H makes it match perfectly.

I'll petition (or at least ask) the excellent Affinity team to add more information about this in their tutorials and set-up/help system as I've seen nothing about it and frankly it's embarrassing that a professional, qualified and practising graphic designer with over twenty years experience has no idea (or not enough) about what's going on here*.

*Although I presume there's a clever/important piece of reclibration going here that I possibly just don't need. All and every other image I work with all in/every other professional design/illustration app (from Fireworks to Illustrator, PhotoShop and more) all seem to treat the reproduction of the image/colour identically. IE As far as I can tell it's only Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo that seem to require some/this additional configuration step (that isn't, as far as I can tell/see, documented anywhere in otherwise excellent Affinity documentation and tutorials.

Thanks again meantime. An 'official' reply/pointer in the right direction would still be appreciated here though.

Q.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.