You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Management weirdness

I appreciate the profile settings in the preferences for the different color modes (RGB, CMYK, Greyscale, Lab), but i'm at odds with how color magement is implemented. When choosing sRGB, images with ProPhoto profile are rendered with wrong, oversaturated colors whereas sRGB profile images are displayed correctly and vice versa ( undersaturated colors for sRGB images) when choosing ProPhoto as default profile. So color management doesn't seems to work as it should ! 

I can confirm this.

ColorSync Utilities’ Color Calculator shows that ProPhoto RGB 0-255-0 corresponds to 0-255-0 in my display profile, whereas sRGB 0-255-0 corresponds to 91-255-14 in my display profile.

When I open a test TIFF image (16 bit, monochrome green ProPhoto RGB 0-255-0), Affinity Photo correctly says (in the upper left) that the image is “RGBA/16 ProPhoto RGB”. The green color, however, is displayed as 91-255-14 on my display (as DigitalColor Meter reveals). In other words, the color conversion to the display is sRGB → displayColorSpace, not ProPhoto RGB → displayColorSpace, as it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a serious problem for me

My working space for RAW files in PhotoshopCC 2014, Lightroom 5.7, Capture One Pro 8, and Iridient Developer is and will be Prophoto RGB (LR uses Mellissa RGB I believe which is close to Prophoto)

Opening any one of my RAW files in all programs except Aiffinity gives correct colors on my calibrated monitor.

Affinity gives over saturated images with a strong color cast which can only be corrected by assigning either Apple RGB or sRGB neither of which I want to use.

Hmm...not that this is any help and FWIW...

I have my working space in AP set to aRGB and I don't use ProPhotoRGB, but 99% of my RAW digital image files from a few different RAW file formats are converted in standalone RAW converters  and tagged with a custom color space built specifically for digital cameras. I have compared the view as opened in AP against PhotoLine (my primary editor on Mac) and against the view in a few different RAW converters and I haven't seen any odd and/or over-saturated colors. Oh, and I regularly calibrate my monitor.

Best regards,

AlanH

• 3 months later...

Regarding the color management, not so depth about the management instead, but the color chooser and work with different colors become quite hard, i believe this area will be improved with a color dropper more easy to use like another tool... 

I feel that the color selector it´s not very precise, i missed a info palete that give in real time about colors, position, measures and size of selection.

Best regards

• 8 months later...

I emphatically agree with this issue.   I have posted too many questions begging for help, and all I am told is either NOTHING OR I ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS.

I did know what color space was being use.  All I knew was, and still is, exported tiff images do not appear the same as in the AP window.

My color working space is ProPhoto RGB.  I use 16 bit files.

I don't believe serif  pays attention to this.  What a waste of our time.   Attempting to fix something broken beyond our abilities.

Kind Regards,

David

like allenH  i do not see any color management problems with AP and i use it since the very first beta ! what you describe are very likely user errors.

when you export a tiff file from AP make sure embed ICC profil is checked !

the workspace profile has no effect on files with correct icc profiles embedded when opend in AP !

@csp So you can't confirm the following behaviour?

1. Open a photo in Affinity Photo

2. Take a screenshot

3. Open the screenshot in Affinity Photo

4. If the colours are not identical, the embedded profile is not repsected.

@csp So you can't confirm the following behaviour?

1. Open a photo in Affinity Photo

2. Take a screenshot

3. Open the screenshot in Affinity Photo

4. If the colours are not identical, the embedded profile is not repsected.

you mix things up this is not what i would call an color managed workflow !  most screen shot tools use non or the monitor profile so the images must look  different and give different readout values !

to clear things try what is describe here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18821-i-am-soooo-frustrated-with-this-soft-proofing-and-no-one-helping-sure-i-have-used-soft-proofing/?p=87440

Right, that's no classical color managed workflow. But when an image has the display profile embedded, the app should show the picture without color shift. I haven't found any other app with this issue. Quick Look, Acorn, Pixelmator or Photoshop work as expected.

Here's what I've tested:

I have an 5k iMac. When I open a Screenshot in Affinity it shows mit that the Profile "Display" is embedded. Preview shows me "iMac" instead. When I export the color shifted screenshot with embedded profile, it now looks wrong in every app. The embedded profile is "31MU97" from an external display I tested weeks ago. So Affinity seems to ignore the display settings of OS X. I deleted "31MU97" and tried it again. V1.4.1 stucks to 31MU97 (I deleted caches and prefs). In Beta 1.4.2-b3 the color shift is now less extreme, because Affinity now uses a different profile (Acer) which is more close to sRGB. When I delete the Acer profile V1.4.2-b3 switches to a Dell profile, V1.4.1 is stuck to 31MU97, I can't find out where it gets the profile. I can reproduce the behaviour on a second Mac, but there the release version does not stuck to a already deleted profile.

it really gets difficult to help here what you describe is a mess i can´t understand and it seems you are not interested in taking some time to check if AP works as ist should. i also wonder if your imac is calibrated and profiled or are if just play around with different monitor profiles ?  i cannot replicate this behavior with screenshot under 10.11.3 it embeds sRGB and everything works as aspected

How so you take screenshots in sRGB? Every Mac I own takes screenshots with the display profile. I would help me a lot to take sRGB shots. I use the internal commands like ⌘⇧3.

Well, the color management of Affinity Photo works well for me except for screenshots. 

Cool, I didn't know that the Grab tool takes sRGB shots. But it's not very handy.

Maybe you see no difference, as the profile Affinity assumes is near to sRGB. Export it to TIF with embedded profile and compare the profile names in Preview.app.

I can reproduce the wrong Profile by assigning "Display" to any of my documents, experting to TIF and opening in Preview.

The reason of this bug could be, that Affinity seems to look for the ASCII name of the profile. And the most monitor profiles have "Display" as ASCII name. So AP does use the first and maybe wrong match. 

i don´t think this has anything to do with the internal profile naming or AP.  is your imac calibrated and profiled and is this profile active in your monitor pref settings.  do you maybe also use a dual monitor setup ?  i think the problem is somewhere on the OSX  side.  i would delete all monitor profiles perform a restart with  p ram reset and recalibrate the display. than make sure the new profile is active and used by the system.

I deleted all profiles, reseted the PRAM and also installed the latest combo update. Nothing changes. But after deleting some stuff I found the file which causes Affinity to stuck with the old display profile.

When I delete this file, everything is fine:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/objectstyles.propcol

• 2 weeks later...

How so you take screenshots in sRGB? 

What I do is make the screen capture using SnapzPro. That IS in the display color space (one MUST tag that image with the display profile for proper preview). Then just convert to sRGB! 

I'm using a wide gamut, PA272W so the screen capture is actually closer to Adobe RGB (1998) but that doesn't matter. It has to be tagged with the display profile (it's untagged from SnapzPro and I'd assume virtually every other such utility). Previews correctly with the right embedded ICC profile. Now convert to sRGB, done. I setup a script in a product called Hazel which automatically tags all screen captures with my display profile from one folder. Then copies that to another folder and automatically converts to sRGB. Easy to do with an Automator script. 

like allenH  i do not see any color management problems with AP and i use it since the very first beta ! what you describe are very likely user errors.

All I can say is that AP, Photoshop, Lightroom etc, all match and work with various working spaces as expected. No issues. Could be user error. Could be an issue with the display profile. Does AP engineering know if their product plays nice with ICC V4 display profiles? No reason to build them, but people do, expecting it's better, only to find, it's hosed their previews due to some bug. 

I see a lot of profile stuff in that file (using a hex editor) and there's the annoying 31MU97 profile inside. Maybe the developers can examine this file.

The 31MU97 profile is a generic profile for a 31 inch LG 4k display. FWIW.

Tekl:     Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

I deleted all profiles, reseted the PRAM and also installed the latest combo update. Nothing changes. But after deleting some stuff I found the file which causes Affinity to stuck with the old display profile.

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/objectstyles.propcol

Thank you Tekl.   I found objectstyles.propcol  in three different places, and deleted all three.   Is this what you suggested, or just one file?

How did you know to do this?   I don't know these kind of things.

Cheers,

David

Tekl:  This (these) file rebuilds itself.     How do I prevent this?   What do you suggest?  Maybe I'm not deleting enough stuff.

Cheers,

David

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.