mqudsi

Export for print results in unbelievably bad downsampling

For some reason AD's "export for print" pdf profile is resulting in horrible downsampling.

Here's the png export:

59c59975abe4f_pflremittanceoutside.thumb.png.f8c5be6e8bf62e10d9b27bec791affb3.png

And here's a lossless screenshot of what AD exports with the default "export for print" profile (as pdf):

downsampled.thumb.png.3985ff1f48697899c039b2e306230e27.png

The embedded image has been completely destroyed.

The original AD file has been attached.

pfl remittance outside.afdesign

It is because that part of your document is an embedded document that there is poor rasterization.

Drag out some ruler guides to mark the original dimensions of your embedded document. Open the embedded object. Clip the contents into an appropriate size rectangle. Copy that. Close the embedded document and delete it off the main drawing. Paste the coy you made. Size & rotate it.

Now try the export. Should be fine.

That isn't to say that a 600+ dpi image won't have pixels thrown out, it will. But you should get great results.

By and large, embedded documents suck going to PDF.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Sorry. I have no idea about this specifically. Some other issues relating to embedded documents going to PDF have been noted by Serif.

Depending upon the print device or service, leaving the DPI set to not be managed can result in enough loss of information that, while I don't believe the result would be as disastrous as to how the embedded document with limiting the DPI is, may still result in undesirable/unpredictable results.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Hi mqudsi

This looks like a mixture or down sampling the image which will reduce it's quality, but also the sample method used whcih looks like nearest neighbour due to the hard edges on the pixels

I shall get this logged to see if we can improve this at all

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

@Chris_K and others, just ran into this again with 1.6.4 and caught myself before submitting for print at the last second.

This isn't an issue with PDF's patchy support for embedded content, there's a bug in AD that is causing extreme bitrate starvation in the jpeg compression when a downsample is triggered from an embedded document.

It's important to point out that "embedded document" can mean something as simple as a JPEG that has been dragged onto the canvas.

Please look at the following two PDFs. They're the same file exported both "for print" and "for export". The "for print" is not even usable on a dot matrix printer from the 90s let alone professional printing. The "for export" exhibits compression artifacts (far greater than I'd expect) but it's at least usable. The other one, despite still being 2MiB in size, is absolutely unfit for any purpose.

2 hours ago, mqudsi said:

Please look at the following two PDFs.

You don't seem to have attached the PDFs.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta