You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Couple questions about Affinity Photo (migration from PS)

I've been waiting for the last 5 years for an alternative to Photoshop CS6 - the last software that i still use from that greedy monopolist. Finally Affinity Photo seems to look like it can completely replace CS6 for me.

I have not tried the trial yet, because i'm working on different projects and don't have continuous free time at hand - unfortunately it seems the trial runs only for 10 days. So that'll have to wait.

I have a few questions about features that are really important to me:

1) Does my bread-and-butter plugin Alien Skin Exposure 7 work? I read that version X does not run, but i'm using version 7 which don't have all the RAW features and is simpler.

2) Does Affinity Photo have a professional quality PDF Export, for sending files to a printing service? (PDF/X-4:2008, output intent profile, etc)

3) How does Affinity Photo handle very large image files? For example high megapixel, ton of nested layers, filesize between 1 and 2GB.

4) Can Affinity Photo save files in the background while the user keeps working on the file?

5) Can i have two images shown side by side and lock them, so they move together with the hand tool? (for comparison purposes)

• Staff

Hi Sveto,

Welcome to the forums :)

We haven't tested version 7 I'm afraid so I cant say wether it will work however if version X doesn't work I wouldn't expect version 7 to.

Affinity Photo can export to PDF/X-4 :)

It will usually handle them very well but it all depends on the specs of your machine so its impossible for me to say for sure without that information however I would expect it to handle them fine.

Affinity Photo can't save files in the background unfortunately.

You could do this by importing them both onto the same canvas but you couldn't do this with each image on a separate canvas I'm afraid.

I recommend downloading our 10day free trial from our website to make sure Affinity Photo is the app for you. You can download it from the below link.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/signup/trial/photo/

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks for the information. Affinity Photo has some great features that are even better than Photoshop, and i'm looking forward to try it out and working with it.

Incompatibility with AS Exposure is the deal-breaker for me though. I'm sure it will work eventually, maybe in version 2. I'll be back for sure!