You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

joining / hiding wire frames

Hi, wyre,

You posted pretty much the same question in the thread: 

What's different about the current scenario?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

10 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, wyre,

You posted pretty much the same question in the thread: 

What's different about the current scenario?

First I really am a total Newbie so for me this is stretching my boundaries. My initial post was because I couldn't get beyond the creation of my initial wire frame bear. I'm disabled and have to take things slowly and I have difficulty in retaining skills. So posted solutions to my problems help immensely in that I can print and retain the information. So to those who have posted solutions and others who have been understanding that for some of us the next step is always obscured, my grateful thanks.

11 hours ago, owenr said:

You can create a vector mask for the medium bear which hides the area of the bear that's inside the big bear.

Move medium bear to required location.
Duplicate the shapes (such as "Rear rump 5" and "Rear right upper leg") of large bear which should hide medium bear, and move them to immediately above medium bear group in Layers panel.

Create a vector rectangle immediately above medium bear group so that the duplicated shapes are immediately above the rectangle. The rectangle must be large enough to completely cover the medium bear.

Give the rectangle an opaque fill of any colour and no stroke.

Select only the duplicated shapes and the rectangle, then do Boolean subtract (see note below).

In Layers panel, right-click on the object that was produced by the subtraction and pick "Mask to below".

The medium bear will now be visible only outside of the large bear.

Boolean subtract is available in Geometry submenu of Layers menu of Photo app, but you'll find a convenient button for it in a group near the top right-hand corner of the app window. You can optionally create a non-destructive Boolean Compound object by holding down Alt/Opt key when doing a Boolean operation.

If you run into problems, I'll post screenshots tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm going to try your steps today but some screen shots would be terrific. If I get stuck at specific point I'll post here and hope you can ease me past the blockage !

• 2 weeks later...

First a thanks to owenr, your instructions eventually got me to the required result. Unfortunately I saved the file WITHOUT the history and couldn't repeat the steps on my main wireframe file !
My problem is the creation of the 'vector rectangle', then the mask from the vector shape and the rectangle. When I go to do the Boolean subtract the only option in the Geometry is 'divide', all the rest are greyed out.
Watching the videos on masks I seem to be missing a piece of knowledge as to the difference between creating a vector and a normal image mask.

Also is there an easy way to select the whole of the large bear and use it to make the mask, then I could put multiple small bears behind ?