You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Doc duplication command

Thank you Owen, I was about to post the same request!

As a Photoshop user of 20 years, the duplicate function is indispensable to me and I feel rather lost without it. Such a simple function and so useful without having to save temporary copies of files or use up to 7 mouse clicks in Photo if you also want to flatten the image at the same time.

• 9 months later...

An alternative is to copy everything and create a new document from clipboard, but you won't keep grid (and perhaps other parameters) and the new canvas will contain every items, even those that were out or partially out of the file's canvas.

So I usually use the old trick to save as...

On 9/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, owenr said:

Please provide a command named "Duplicate" in the File menu, as is available in several document-based apps on macOS.

It would instantly open a new doc tab containing a duplicate of the current doc.

This would enable us to use one keyboard shortcut instead of the current convoluted workaround:

1. open Snapshots panel
  2. click create new snapshot
  3. ok the snapshot's name
  4. select the snapshot entry in the panel
  5. click the "New document from snapshot" button

In case anyone is wondering what use there is for duplicate of a document, it provides an alternative branch in the creation of a document when one wants to experiment with various trajectories for a work, or with various solutions to a problem.

What is this different from 'Save as ...' and use a new file name? Except that the file that was duplicated is not open anymore, but is in the list of 'recent opened'.

Oh, I just noticed that @Wosven suggested the same :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks, but the difference is not having to open the other file ;). I use the 'duplicate' all the time in Photoshop, so that I can work on the duplicate and make changes and tweaks whilst still having the original 'master open on the screen beside it - really handy to be able to compare them as I go along. I appreciate that I can do this by 'save as' and open the new file, but it's an extra step that disrupts my flow. I also realise that I can create a snapshot and open as new document, but again, it's an extra step and not nearly as convenient. I see that this has been a feature request on this forum for a couple of years, now, so it doesn't look like it will be added. A real shame, as it would help smooth migration from Photoshop.

Colin

26 minutes ago, colindun said:

but it's an extra step that disrupts my flow.

OK, I understand. Personally, I don't mind the extra step. But I see that you seem to have a different work_flow.

After all, we are in the 'Suggestions' section :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Plus, of course, doing a 'save as' then opening that file to compare changes means you've got an extra file that you have to remember to delete later. I have quite enough iterative files as it is, without having to try to remember which ones are important ones and which were just created so I could compare them to ongoing tweaks.

Both 'save as' and snapshot are inferior to Photoshop's 'duplicate', in my view, and I'm really going to struggle to adapt to Photo with out ;(

C