You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text is pixelated

There is something wrong either with your document setup or with your export settings. That kind of pixelation shouldn’t happen. I assume the uploaded document is not at 100 percent zoom, but even in this case, your text is looking weird.

It would be extremely helpful, if you were able to provide the Affinity Designer document (.afdesign) of your work, such that we can check what’s happening here … :)

6 hours ago, owenr said:

the new posted image has been upscaled by a non-power of two factor with Nearest Neighbour resampling,

But David said he used Bilinear for resampling.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

If they insist on using PS, they should get a pdf or svg. They can resize the vector when importing so at least it isn't pixelated.

But the whole job seems like crap if that image with the jewelry is their output. They could simply use the same font like I did too. 

But still, the rest of the image is really poor. The whole thing simply needs redone. 

I have started again with a blank canvas in trying to ctrate my logo

Attached is my screen shot image of my name created in affinity designer and the second is the file exported as a jpg, which again is pixelated, can someone please explain to me in layman terms what i am doing wrong as I am finfing it really frustrating. Thank you

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 08.39.05.png

Untitled.jpg

• Staff

Hi David Law,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What you are seeing on the screen is the text as a text object (or in case of vector objects as vectors) which are defined mathematically and can be scaled indefinitely without losing quality. When you export to a raster format like PNG or JPG they are rasterised to fit the number of pixels available (the document pixel dimensions defined in the export settings). In a raster format each pixel can only have one colour and so edges that ended up aligned with that pixel "grid" will appear sharp and will match the original colour they had while those that were spreaded over two columns/rows of pixels (because they didn't fit in a full pixel row/column) will appear a little blurred (their colour will be an approximation of the original) leading to a less sharp result. Some programs do optimise text based on the font information to better align it with the pixel grid to help with this issue however currently Affinity doesn't do this. If you are exporting text to a relatively small size image (raster) you either have to manually adjust/tweak it (each letter individually) to get a better result or optimise it in some way like supersampling, that is, export the text/project to a higher resolution version first - say 4x or more the size of the final output you want - then scale the exported image back to the intended output resolution. This will help to smooth out the edges of the objects. If you want to keep everything editable/as vectors simply export to a format that supports them like PDF, PSD or SVG.

You can't compare the zoomed in view of a vector object/text inside Affinity with the smaller exported version of the raster image for the reasons explained above (text/vector objects are resolution independent and never loose quality). To perform a fair comparison you must view the document inside Affinity at 100% zoom and compare it with the exported version at 100% too or export the file in a vector format so you can also zoom to the same level as inside Affinity.

Is your designer on this forum? Really we need to troubleshoot their workflow. From the image featuring jewellery that you posted it's obvious that they are making many mistakes throughout their process.

Your workflow is just fine (though you should send them a PDF so the text remains as high quality as possible for as long as possible in the workflow)

• 3 weeks later...

Because we still have no detailed information how the pictures have been produced, we only can say that the biggest problem source seems to be the designer and the first step should be the correction of typographical errors.

On 25. September 2017 at 9:44 AM, David Law said:

please explain to me in layman terms what i am doing wrong as I am finfing it really frustrating.

David, was this information helpful or do you still have problems? If your texts are too pixelated, simply export them with much more pixels.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.