You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to open Adobe Illustrator files in Affinity Designer?

• Staff

Hi katrinrr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That means the Ai file you tried to open doesn't contain any PDF stream which is the only data we are able to access from the Ai file (the rest is proprietary). To contain a PDF stream the Ai file must be saved with the option Create Compatible PDF File checked in Adobe Illustrator.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, ArthurV said:

Importing the PDF will mean the text will be chopped up. Words into separate (groups of) characters. This is not good.

No, that is an Illustrator feature. Opening a PDF in Designer tends to keep text as fully normal text boxes.

• 3 months later...

I was able to import an old AI project perfectly. Although everything transferred over, homemade brushes and textures I was using on it don't seem to appear in any of the studios (ie. brush studio). Would those have ended up in a separate file somewhere?

Update: Just now noticing they've imported as curves. So will need to change them to brush strokes.

Edited by Xophre
update

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 4:33 AM, ArthurV said:

Importing the PDF will mean the text will be chopped up. Words into separate (groups of) characters. This is not good.

That depends on the tool that created the PDF. Some PDF 'printers' tend to separate chunks of text, sometimes in relatively random ways.

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo, AI files without PDF streams are a NO-GO for Affinity Designer? Ain't there any online app that could convert AI without PDF stream into PDF/AI with stream? I don't mind, if it mess up, don't have many of such files, but would be very appreciated... 

Correct, NO-GO.
Actually NO-GO with any vector graphic apps except CorelDraw.
Corel has been reverse engineering AI format more than 20 years.
Still CorelDraw is not perfect at all. I often see broken layout when I open AI in CorelDraw.

Most of apps including online converters that claim AI compatibility can open only PDF compatible AI or ancient AI(AI9 or older)

13 hours ago, ashf said:

or ancient AI(AI9 or older)

… which were based on PostScript.

15 hours ago, KubasCZE said:

Ain't there any online app that could convert AI without PDF stream into PDF/AI with stream?

There is. It's called Adobe Illustrator CC and is available as a free trial for 7 days. So make sure to collect all files you need to convert first before you start the trial.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:25 PM, Lagarto said:

Here is a more or less random test on AI (non-PDF based) features imported in a selection of graphic design apps:

Would you provide the sample file?
Or would you test the file in Adobe XD?

I noticed XD has improved ai compatibility compared to a old version.
I can open an ai file with proper layout that was kinda broken in old version.